Would the "UConn doesn't play a tough schedule" crowd please hush up... | The Boneyard

Would the "UConn doesn't play a tough schedule" crowd please hush up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Team NC 10.jpeg

The final coaches poll is out and UConn is obviously #1. Here are some thoughts:

1. UConn played 13 games against the top 25 teams.
2. UConn played the #2, #3 and #4 teams a total of four times. (ND twice)
3. UConn won those four games by a combined 76 points. That's an average of 19 pts/game. ;)
4. Dayton finished #17 and USF was #24.
5. UConn's only loss, in overtime, was to #14, Stanford.
6. Notre Dame (#2), South Carolina (#3) and Maryland (#4) had a combined 9 losses. :rolleyes:
7. Baylor (#5), Tennessee (#6) and Florida State (#7) had 15 combined losses.

UConn schedules anyone and everyone they can fit in, given the conference schedule they MUST play.
It would not have mattered if UConn had played every one of the other 24 teams in the poll. The results would have been the same. UConn #1....!! :cool:

Go Huskies..!!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I really don't think there is anyone out there honestly accusing UConn of not playing a tough schedule. Your OOC schedule has been quite tough for a number of years, and back when you were in the oBE your strength of schedule was often #1 or #2.

What I think folks (not I) thought years ago was that your OOC schedule wasn't always as strong as other teams - which never really mattered because you made it up in conference. Now, where your conference is unfortunately rather weak, you make it up by playing a tough OOC schedule.

Not to mention that I think a lot of fans have delusions about the strength of OOC schedules in general. UConn, Notre Dame, Rutgers at one time (not recently), Tennessee, etc. among were the very few teams that scheduled a lot of teams from other major conferences, most schools then and now rarely schedule more than 1 or 2. By definition, these schools are almost always going to be stronger opponents, on average, than a random selection of mid-major opponents.

Reaction Score
Every team has fans who think the refs are against them. It's interesting to read the forums of other teams during a game. There's always a core who are convinced that the officiating is biased against them for some reason.
As far as UConn playing a weak schedule goes. The popular theory for the anti Huskie crowd at the time of UConn moving to the AAC was that playing in a weak conference would not provide them with quality opposition and that would leave UConn less prepared for the rigors of NCAA tournament play. Since that theory is not working very well, those looking for an excuse for UConn's dominance decided to postulate the exact opposite. The reason they won is because they can rest their players during the conference schedule. Of course this completely disregards UConn's results when they played in the Big East.
haters going to hate.

Reaction Score
Sadly they will not shut up. Much like the "You guys get all the talent" crowd and the "UConn cheats" crowd. But I do laugh at all of them especially the "weak conference" crowd. I mean you would think that by UConn's so-called "weak" out of conference schedule, the team would have been exposed by now! You would think that teams that play these "tough" conference games, the Lady Vols, the Kentucky Wildcats, the North Carolina, ND, and Duke programs, just to name a few, would dominate our women's basketball program because of our "weak" conference. But nope. Has not happened. I mean we lose but it is not like we get blown out. Or we lose a game or two but nothing where we are losing in the 1st round of a tournament by some 15 seed team. The crowd will not shut up. I am just glad that we just play ball and not worry about this petty mess.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I don't mind disagreement and I really enjoy argument but I don't like to be told to "shut up."Posts like the OPs "please shut up" don't belong here. They certainly don't encourage a civil discussion. They are a lot like the OP's "nobody gives a crap about what you have to say" post of a while back.

I quit the board for a while because of posts like this - and I'm outta' here for good this time.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
The final coaches poll is out and UConn is obviously #1. Here are some thoughts:

You make a fine point. I would only say that including teams UConn played in the tournament shouldn't be included in a discussion of the schedule. UConn has as little control over who it plays in the tournament as it who it plays in conference play.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think where the issue is really discussed it is in the incredibly lopsided margin of victory in conference games this year when two of the last three 'respectable' oBE teams moved on to the Big10 and ACC. This years regular season schedule was weaker than previous years including a less than stellar OOC. Part of the OOC is the number of conference games has reduced the OOC number, and a few OOC stalwarts have discontinued the H&H series. - Baylor and Maryland and now Duke. Conference realignment has played a bit of havoc with those that remain and those that leave as everyone figures out what the new conference travel and competition feels like.

What is lost on most people is that Uconn consistently handles mid-level teams with complete ease where many of the other major players struggle from time to time. ND for example was clearly the second best team in the country this year and had no business having 15 games that were decided by 15 or fewer points prior to the NCAAs (includes the Miami loss but not the Uconn loss.) Uconn had two (USF by 14 points, Stan loss) and just does not let unranked or teams ranked lower than 10 get a glimmer of a chance - they take care of business EVERY night.

ND playing a good OOC and in the almighty ACC had an MOV for the whole year of 20.1 that obviously includes their three losses. If they had taken care of their business against the unranked and lowly ranked teams on their schedule their MOV would have been 30 plus, but instead they played down to their competition in almost half of their games. Uconn playing the ND schedule would have an MOV in the thirties like they did when the played in the old BE. And the same would be true if they played in the Big12 (TX 51 points for example), the SEC (SC 23, Vand 39), the Big10 (MD 23, Rutg 36) the ACC (ND 18, Duke 31), and the Pac (UCLA 36 and we'll just forget about Stan:eek:) And those teams listed except for Vandy were all at the top or middle of their respective conferences - so this isn't selected bottom feeders.

If this Uconn team played in any one of the power 5 conferences they probably would not have had a 40 point MOV, but they would have likely challenged the Uconn record holders in the 35 ppg range. That is what Uconn does - NCAA top 5 season MOVs - Uconn 2015 40.6, Uconn 2002 35.4, Uconn 2010 34.9, Uconn 2014 34.3, Uconn 1995 33.2

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
For the record I see nothing wrong with David's post. If someone takes offense to that and decides to "quit the board", then I would suggest (respectfully of course), moving to a remote island with no human contact because Mr. Naples was not referring to any UCONN posters I know of. And "quitting" the board is a tad melodramatic.

He was generally referring to these fans, who still constantly whine and complain about UCONN every chance they get. If someone read his comments, looked in the mirror, and knew it was something they did, then that's who the post was meant for...

While those fans will never "shut up", his sentiment is correct - those fans who continue to belittle UCONN and their achievements by whining about the SOS are morons. I've even read that Geno's winning % and total wins are "tainted" because UCONN always plays an "easy" schedule. It's bull$hit and just because they say it with frequency does not make it true.

The 3 things most often heard when discussing SOS by opposing fans is...
  1. It does not prepare the team for the NCAA's
  2. It makes for boring games throughout conference play
  3. It taints win streaks and record achievements
There is zero we can do about #2. And by the way, it DOES make for blowout games. But "boring" is a subjective term. And the positive side of that is it gives a TON of PT opportunities for freshmen to get their "sea" legs and for bench players to make a case for more PT.

With regards to #1, I think it's clear that is untrue. 3 NC's in a row, 2 of them while we are in the dreaded "American" conference - 'nuff said.

#3 is so preposterous that I don't even want to comment on it, but given it's slag that come fans spew, all I can say is "bull".

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
I don't mind disagreement and I really enjoy argument but I don't like to be told to "shut up."Posts like the OPs "please shut up" don't belong here. They certainly don't encourage a civil discussion. They are a lot like the OP's "nobody gives a crap about what you have to say" post of a while back.

I quit the board for a while because of posts like this - and I'm outta' here for good this time.

On March 14th you wrote in a post, "I don't look for offense when none is intended." That apparently doesn't apply to anything I write. I've asked the Mods to change the headline to "hush up" from "shut up." I doubt that will fix your attitude toward me or my posts. I've tried privately, in the past, to smooth things over as well, to no avail. Stay or leave, your choice, but don't blame me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
David- Your posts are nothing if not thoughtful, factually correct and always entertaining. Any umbrage taken is clearly because the points you make are indisputably truthful, thus painful to some outliers. I DO, however, totally and completely blame you and Ericsandiego for some of the most wonderfully enjoyable, blatantly partisan posts. Were I as envious of the UConn girls' success as some seem to be, then I too would grimace in pain and revulsion every time I read a post by those guys from Northern Tijuana and Napheesa County.
Keep 'um coming.

Reaction Score

I'm curious, if you "like" the above post does that mean you agree with the poster or that you're happy that "I'm (He's) outta' here for good this time" ?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
David- Your posts are nothing if not thoughtful, factually correct and always entertaining. Any umbrage taken is clearly because the points you make are indisputably truthful, thus painful to some outliers. I DO, however, totally and completely blame you and Ericsandiego for some of the most wonderfully enjoyable, blatantly partisan posts. Were I as envious of the UConn girls' success as some seem to be, then I too would grimace in pain and revulsion every time I read a post by those guys from Northern Tijuana and Napheesa County. Keep 'um coming.
WORST...POST...EVER...!!! LOL... :cool:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Hush, hush, Sweet Charlotte.... So much better than STFU! Most times anyway. Used the latter today when came home to find the daughter's dog I'm baby sitting decided it really had to take the most copious crap a small dog has every taken in my living room! You know how when you start cleaning up how you sort of stir up that I want to gag smell of doggie doo! The dog could care less what I said of course. It's thinking you left me here - what did you expect.

Reaction Score
Ya Geno is cheater, he is arrogant, he gets the best players. etc

My attitude is "Let the woofers woof!!!!!!!"

Reaction Score
. . . There is zero we can do about #2. And by the way, it DOES make for blowout games. But "boring" is a subjective term. And the positive side of that is it gives a TON of PT opportunities for freshmen to get their "sea" legs and for bench players to make a case for more PT. . .

Yes, I agree. And even if the bench players don't make a particularly positive
impression with their added minutes, the fact that they're getting the minutes
should make them feel more a part of the team and improve team chemistry
and togetherness. All good, I should think.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Who cares what some of these "people" think. They are jealous!! Let them rant all they want.

And as to freshman and bench players - you are only as strong as your weakest link. So we are doing pretty damn good!

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
On March 14th you wrote in a post, "I don't look for offense when none is intended." That apparently doesn't apply to anything I write. I've asked the Mods to change the headline to "hush up" from "shut up." I doubt that will fix your attitude toward me or my posts. I've tried privately, in the past, to smooth things over as well, to no avail. Stay or leave, your choice, but don't blame me.
You big bully. You know there are certain posters here who are going to get upset when you start employing dastardly tactics like using facts, stats, and commonsense. Those things absolutely do not belong on team forums, and it's no wonder that a mass exodus is beginning as this ship starts to sink after a 10th NC, which can only mean that it's about 7 long months until the next season begins.

But yeah, even if UConn played 33 games against only top-5 opponents leading up to the Tourney, the clueless ones on the checkerboard would still spout the same programmed nonsense they spewed back in 2000. But even many of the top WCBB writers seem to be slaves to RPI and spout the same "weak schedule" idiocies, never bothering to look at where UConn's SOS ended up in the one solid SOS rating system, #2 in Massey. Like a lot of BY posters, they ignore the current realities of a pack of rising teams and just think that the once decent old-time programs like Kansas State, Penn State, Purdue, Auburn, Florida, USC, etc. mean something when they're on a team's schedule. They don't, but now teams like USF, ECU, Tulane, Temple, and Green Bay have moved ahead of the faded programs, and UConn is having a lot to do with that.

Seems like an open and shut up case to me.

Reaction Score

Good god, is this the kind of melodramatic crybitchery that goes on over here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom