Worst coaching job of the year? | The Boneyard

Worst coaching job of the year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Syracuse was a very very very talented and deep team this year. Did Coach B undercoach this team this year? They had a great year but didn't make the FF.

They lost in the Big East and NCAA elite 8. Was Coach B outcoached in both games?

Reaction Score
You can't count the BET against him. It doesn't really count like the NCAA's. ;)

Reaction Score
Syracuse was a very very very talented and deep team this year. Did Coach B undercoach this team this year? They had a great year but didn't make the FF.

They lost in the Big East and NCAA elite 8. Was Coach B outcoached in both games?

JB was fine, thought they played great zone down the stretch in many games they won and shut teams down when they had to. Waiters was not good yesterday and they needed him to be and the call on Triches was one of the absolute worst in college hoops history....how could they clal that a charge? Pitiful......only takes a couple bounces or calls to not even ask this question honestly.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Syracuse was by leaps and bounds more talented than OSU - more talented and much deeper even without Melo. Yeah, that one call made up all that difference in talent and depth.

Reaction Score
Syracuse was by leaps and bounds more talented than OSU - more talented and much deeper even without Melo. Yeah, that one call made up all that difference in talent and depth.

"Leaps and bounds.."??? I don't see that, deeper I do see. Not sure I said that one call, which was in the first half mind you, was the difference if your sarsasm was as obvious as i think?

Reaction Score

That's not even close to being true. Sullinger is easily the best prospect in that game and after that, its some order of Buford, Waiters and Thomas. OSU has big time freshman like Thompson, Scott and Williams who can't even get off the bench. At worst, its a tossup in terms of talent but I think OSU is considerably better.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's not as if he was not without advantages - Syracuse was deep and talented and they had upperclassmen. They really did have what they needed for a Final Four run, but they didn't make it.

That's a disappointment for them, but it's hard to say that JB underachieved winning the Big East regular season and grabbing a number one seed. Those things are hard to do - all in all, nothing wrong with the job Beoheim did this year.

Reaction Score
The difference was Fab Melo, when he was declared inelligible, OSU bacame the defacto #1 seed. If the Big East defensive player of the year is on the floor, Jared Sullinger does not go wild like he did yesterday(19pts, 7reb). And, Syracuse does not get out rebounded 37-22.

I think it's all the difference. It's hard to say they could have beaten Kentucky but they were the 2nd best team in the country with Melo.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think you're overrating Fab Melo.

Syracuse's rebounding has been an issue all year and with Melo there, Keita doesn't get ten rebounds and Syracuse is still dominated on the boards. Melo averaged about 5.5 rebounds a game and the way that game was called, he might have fouled out by halftime.

Reaction Score

He did a good job with a very talented ream. No call was responsible for OSU beating Syracuse, OSU made their shots and FTs. The Cuse D was fine but OSU kept he turovers under control and won a game that was close most of the way.
Would Cuse have won if they had Fab Melo? We'll never know and to use his suspension as an excuse detracts from an outstanding performance by OSU.

Reaction Score
The team with 2 lottery picks that finished the season with a whimper by getting pasted by a team that they were more talented than "by leaps and bounds" is pointing fingers? Funny...

Reaction Score
I did not hear anyone from the Syracuse team bring up any excuses. OSU is a strong team that deserved to win yesterday.

However, I did hear multiple basketball analysts talk about the fact that Syracuse felt the loss of Fab Melo for the first time yesterday. There is nothing wrong with discussing the what ifs. People can argue who would win if he was on the floor; it's all speculation.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The team with 2 lottery picks that finished the season with a whimper by getting pasted by a team that they were more talented than "by leaps and bounds" is pointing fingers? Funny...
It is funny. Funnier still is (using your fan base = team perspective) is a team that hasn't tasted a win in the NCAA's since said poster was three (if his birthday was early enough in the year) chiming in on harmless back and forth between the two teams that have carried this conference for the past two decades.

Reaction Score
Personally I never thought that JB was a great coach. I was impressed during the regular season this year because he juggled all the talent on the team in terms of getting the right guys in at the right time. However, the amount of talent he has had over the years has been abundant, but this was their first elite 8 since 2003 when they had one of the best college basketball players in the last decade. He only plays zone which has obviously been successful during regular season but the problem I see with JB is that he doesn't make adjustments during the game. Not enough success in the tournament is something that will always stick with him and now all these allegations could really diminish his reputation.

Reaction Score
The difference was Fab Melo, when he was declared inelligible, OSU bacame the defacto #1 seed. If the Big East defensive player of the year is on the floor, Jared Sullinger does not go wild like he did yesterday(19pts, 7reb). And, Syracuse does not get out rebounded 37-22.

I think it's all the difference. It's hard to say they could have beaten Kentucky but they were the 2nd best team in the country with Melo.

I also think you are overrating Melo. He is definitely missed but I still think OSU wins if he plays. FWIW, I wouldn't say Sullinger went crazy, he had about a point more than his per game average.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
A Providence fan in the conversation is rich.

Providence is having another great tournament - the checks will continue to arrive and they don't even have to leave campus.

As per usual.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
34-3="worst coaching jobbof the year?" seriously?

Jim Boehiem ever deserving the worst coaching job of the year? really?

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Imagine if he lost to George Mason with that team.....

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score

Honestly. When is the last time Uconn did anything in the big dance people? Aside from winning it all last year and the 09 Final Four.

caw

Reaction Score

I'm not sure if I disagree with you or the OP more.

Boeheim did not do a bad job of coaching. They made the elite eight. They ran into a darn good OSU team.

Melo wouldn't have made a big difference and it wouldn't really have been that big of a difference over what they got from Keita/Christmas. I would argue no. Christmas/Keita combined for 9 points, 12 rebounds and 6 blocks in 40 minutes combined. Melo wouldn't have done much better. Perhaps you could argue he might have been better than Christmas but Keita played pretty well when in. Melo is a worse rebounder than Keita (IMO) and OSU would have won the rebounding battle by even more if Melo were in instead.

Reaction Score
I saw very little of the game, but SU was a big man away from beating OSU if some of the other players had a bad or so-so game, which is what happened. A dominating big man who can defend, block shots and rebound on both ends of the floor can make up for a multitude of deficiencies. Without melo the margin of error shrunk and that margin cost SU a trip to -4. If Joseph and Waiters make more plays and shot the ball better or some other player came up big like Southerland (not sure I got that name right) who put up like 10 points late in the game against us, it probably would have made the difference.

To put is simply to make -4 and even win the whole thing you either have to play at a consistently high level if you're a team that has a small margin of error, or play just well enough to win when you're a team that has a large margin of error, or simply get lucky enough times when your oponents happen to put up more of a stinker than you do. Without Melo SU simply had to player better to beat a team as good as OSU. The little I saw seemed more a case of a team that simply didn't make enough plays compared to a coaching staff that didn't make the right adjustments. Now maybe if I caught more of the game, I would be thinking differently.

What did most of you see? Could JB have made adjustments that would have made a difference, or did the players just simply not do enough against a very good team that simply made more plays?

Reaction Score

Hey sean just curious how the Friars did in the NIT???;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom