Wonder what Lin Dunn will say about this.... | The Boneyard

Wonder what Lin Dunn will say about this....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Nothin' 'cause it has nothin' to do with the challenges faced by those trying to grow the game of women's basketball.

Reaction Score
What do the following scores have in common?

103-51
109-46
110-42

Hint: these are games won by top 10 teams not named UConn this past Sunday alone.

When UConn wins by 70 it's bad for the game. When Tennessee does it... crickets.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

103-51
109-46
110-42

Hint: these are games won by top 10 teams not named UConn this past Sunday alone.

When UConn wins by 70 it's bad for the game. When Tennessee does it... crickets.

I've said before imo she has a certain bias against UCONN. IMO it's not accidental to mention "UCONN" and not mention "top 5 etc." One mention is okay. SHe was "deliberate" in re-mentioning "UCONN." That is NOT an accident imo. She went to college in the state of Tennessee. She probably knows the South Carolina coach. She has made it clear imo in a certian way no way she wants to see UCONN get Wilson. Which imo is an example of someone over-steping their bounds unless they are a college hoop expert. And imo her comment of UCONN vs Duke in which I think her comments were something to the effect that 1 shouldn't play 2 on National TV because 1 has crushed 2 in prior years is as ridiculous a statement you can hear. You'd hear that type of comment from a 4th grader. I just don't buy into these all being coincidences for someone "100% concerned about growing the women's game without some bias."

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

103-51
109-46
110-42

I don't think she likes them either. Her issue really isn't that UConn, or anyone, wins some games by lopsided scores, rather that having a team so dominant that they can crush other good teams by those scores is arguably not good for the game.

I think she, like most of us casual fans, would like to see all the better teams schedule better competition. I understand both the reasoning for scheduling a "light" schedule and I also understand the difficulties in scheduling consistently decent competition. One could still hope. That's not the same issue as the fact that UConn can schedule almost every team in the top 10 and shellac them all.

In football, where there are very few OOC games at all, it is a thing for good teams to schedule a few cupcakes, sometimes to ensure a homecoming win, or whatever. I think it is the B1G that is going to require teams to schedule only other FBS teams (it might be other BCS but I think not) which will at least help.

Reaction Score
I don't think she likes them either. Her issue really isn't that UConn, or anyone, wins some games by lopsided scores, rather that having a team so dominant that they can crush other good teams by those scores is arguably not good for the game.

I think she, like most of us casual fans, would like to see all the better teams schedule better competition. I understand both the reasoning for scheduling a "light" schedule and I also understand the difficulties in scheduling consistently decent competition. One could still hope. That's not the same issue as the fact that UConn can schedule almost every team in the top 10 and shellac them all.

In football, where there are very few OOC games at all, it is a thing for good teams to schedule a few cupcakes, sometimes to ensure a homecoming win, or whatever. I think it is the B1G that is going to require teams to schedule only other FBS teams (it might be other BCS but I think not) which will at least help.
The last team that anyone should be calling out about scheduling better competition is UConn. There's nothing they can do about the 18 game conference schedule. That's the hand UConn was dealt when everyone else abandoned the old Big East. UConn plays most of the top 10 and will play anyone anywhere that will have them. Why is it UConn's fault that other schools don't care about WCBB? Like Geno has said, his program isn't the only one that gets top recruits. It's not like they get the top 5 recruits every single year, so what's the excuse for the other schools in the top 10 that regularly land top talent?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The last team that anyone should be calling out about scheduling better competition is UConn. There's nothing they can do about the 18 game conference schedule. That's the hand UConn was dealt when everyone else abandoned the old Big East. UConn plays most of the top 10 and will play anyone anywhere that will have them. Why is it UConn's fault that other schools don't care about WCBB? Like Geno has said, his program isn't the only one that gets top recruits. It's not like they get the top 5 recruits every single year, so what's the excuse for the other schools in the top 10 that regularly land top talent?
Exactly the point I made and I think concerns her. UConn does play perhaps the strongest schedule and crushes it. But other top 10 teams do not play very tough schedules, hence the blowout scores.

As I tried to say, two separate issues. The blow-out scores, non-UConn, from blowout scheduling. UConn dominance, from being better than everyone else, resulting in blow-out scores. I don't think Lin Dunn likes either, although I think her message is so all-over-the-place as to make it difficult to sort out.

Reaction Score
The last team that anyone should be calling out about scheduling better competition is UConn. There's nothing they can do about the 18 game conference schedule. That's the hand UConn was dealt when everyone else abandoned the old Big East. UConn plays most of the top 10 and will play anyone anywhere that will have them. Why is it UConn's fault that other schools don't care about WCBB? Like Geno has said, his program isn't the only one that gets top recruits. It's not like they get the top 5 recruits every single year, so what's the excuse for the other schools in the top 10 that regularly land top talent?[/quote alling out
As you say the last team anyone should be calling out is UCONN. But a point further, imo it appears Lin Dunn is not only calling out UCONN but imo it appears she is also criticizing the networks such as ESPN for showing UCONN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom