WomenshoopsGuru likes UCONN on Tuesday | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WomenshoopsGuru likes UCONN on Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
ESPN W Sportsnation has a poll on which team will win and 9553 have voted so far. Seventy-seven percent (77%) pick UConn while 23% pick Duke. The only state in which UConn doesn't have more votes than Duke is Tennessee where the vote is 50-50. Even in North Carolina, 55% of voters pick UConn and 45% pick Duke.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
ESPN W Sportsnation has a poll on which team will win and 9553 have voted so far. Seventy-seven percent (77%) pick UConn while 23% pick Duke. The only state in which UConn doesn't have more votes than Duke is Tennessee where the vote is 50-50. Even in North Carolina, 55% of voters pick UConn and 45% pick Duke.

Bunch of UNC fans skewing the results in NC

Reaction Score
I will be shocked if Duke stays within 20 points! Lets just say, McCallie's decision on whether to continue the Uconn-Duke home & home is likely to be negatively influenced by Tuesday's results!

Reaction Score
Duke by 1 over UConn on a 3pt buzzer beater at the end of the game by Liston.
So many folks here seems to think that UConn will trash Duke by 20+ but I can't see that.
Duke is a very good team.

Reaction Score
After watching the Duke Oklahoma game while imagining Duke was playing UConn in that game, I'd be amazed if UConn doesn't win easily. First, from a size perspective, Duke was bigger than OK at every position and still they didn't dominate. That won't be the case with UConn. Defense of both teams was porous. Ellenberg had good success penetrating Duke. I can see both Jefferson and Hartley doing the same, but UConn is so much quicker getting the ball down court and their passing is so much better. There is no way to prepare for UConn's speed, quickness and defensive pressure. Oklahoma was so lax on defense in comparison. Gray just did not look like she will be able to keep up with UConn. If UConn guards Liston tightly, she might have a difficult night. While Duke's freshmen are top notch, they are just not ready at this point to do much damage.

Stewart is excited about this game and that usually means she will play great, as she is a rise to the occasion player. Hartley is again playing like an AA, and none of the other players are weak links. I see a constant barrage of pressure that will drive the Cameron's crazy.

Reaction Score

Those Tenn fans just cannot appreciates an dominate UCONN team!!! Even North Carolina went with the better team!

Reaction Score
So many folks here seems to think that UConn will trash Duke by 20+ but I can't see that.

Are you dreaming or pulling everyone's leg???
Wake up... the coffee is on!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I don't see Duke coming within double digits of UConn. I like Mel's comment of 11 but I think its more. Minimum 15 and by how much will be determined by how fast Williams get in foul trouble for Duke and if Liston can get an uncontested shot off. Neither is quick and UConns defense will be all over both of them. With that said the trio of Stokes Dolsen and Stewart should have a field day against Duke underneath. Duke doesn't play good defense and is inconsistent in playing defense.

If UConn's trio underneath were to get in foul trouble Duke may be able to take advantage of it but that still leaves the question how will Duke stop UConn. They can't. This game doesn't scare me in the least. Don't forget right after the announcement that KML and Tuck would be out we went down to MD and beat the on their home court with a lot of question marks and we beat them by 17. I don't think Duke is 17 pts better then MD. Maybe 5 at the most.

UConn will steamroll Duke and like most games take off the press and stop their fast break and allow Duke to stay with 15-25 pts. For those who think Duke has a chance it would be a fluke for them to win and imo a fluke for them to be within double digits. What makes UConn so good year after year is their defense and no other team in WCBB plays 40 minutes of no let up defense. Parallel that will 8 players who can score from anywhere and you have the best team in WCBB and it ain't even close. Think about this. If Geno didn't call off the dogs against Stanford MD Penn St and Ohio St how many points would UConn have won by? MD came the closest at 17 and we won those games without KML and Tuck. UConn will win this game and win it convincingly the only question is by how much. UConn is very quick and Duke is slow. You cant play effective defense being slow.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That's too much like another event that we don't talk about here.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Ice, it's ok for me to make fun of myself, but you? I'd rather you didn't.

And I have as much as Mel, if you have seen a more recent picture. He is using the puffy technique. I've tried them all before going short. But I see scalp!!!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Seriously, it's ok to have a contrary position on the game, but to mimic the last time UConn lost to Duke in your prediction?? Not nice!!!

Reaction Score
Ice, it's ok for me to make fun of myself, but you? I'd rather you didn't.

And I have as much as Mel, if you have seen a more recent picture. He is using the puffy technique. I've tried them all before going short. But I see scalp!!!
DD, don't be concerned about the hair. Just think of it as gaining face.:)

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I stopped being concerned 20 years ago.

You can never have enough face. I'm always trying to save face on this board.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I stopped being concerned 20 years ago.

You can never have enough face. I'm always trying to save face on this board.
You have no hair, I have no hair color. Either way others are blinded by the glare.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
All it would take is a couple of incompetent referee's making a couple of bad calls, quick fouls on Stef, and Stewie and you have a close game. Kiah may be better, but if Stef, and Stewie had to sit for any length of time it could get interesting. There are a lot of not good referee's in the women's game, just as in the men's game.

Reaction Score
UCONN by 20 if KML is at 90%
What's happened in previous years might mean a lot if there's something in the coaching that plays into the final score. Preparation and game plan and FORTITUDE are significant in every UConn team. We've seen UConn play many teams with talent that put up brief resistance and then seem to slowly but surely fall apart or have breakdowns that allow a UConn run that makes a small separation into an insurmountable one. Duke has had many outstanding players, as has been mentioned but has their coaching staff instilled the mindset to continually seek perfection, ever knowing it's unattainable but just reaching for it, nonetheless???? That's the type thing UConn has done, setting goals that are seemingly out of reach, striving for perfection so as to continue to improve. Never accepting good enough, always realizing there's things that can be improved upon. Geno wants every player to have a Maya Moore outlook, that there's always some facet of her game that can be improved. That leads to greatness or at least, being the absolute best you can be. Do you think that standard is taught as rigorously at Duke as it is at UConn. I think not!

Reaction Score
Bunch of UNC fans skewing the results in NC
I'm not sure what you're implying. If I'm a sports fan in North Carolina and I know that UConn won the national championship handily last year and crushed Duke and basically the same lineups are going at each other tomorrow, I'd be inclined to assume UConn will win. If I don't have a pony in the race, that should be the logical choice. I understand loyalty and we're not suggesting who these fans should root for but to simply say Duke will win because they're a local team and we support them is kinda disingenuous.

Reaction Score
Duke could shock the world on Tuesday. Everything would have to go in their favor. Loose balls, foul troubles for the Big's and Bria.....Poor outside shooting and Geno takes the night off..............

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Duke could shock the world on Tuesday. Everything would have to go in their favor. Loose balls, foul troubles for the Big's and Bria.....Poor outside shooting and Geno takes the night off..............

I guess that is your game call, huh. If not, it's ... a bit of bad meat?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what you're implying. If I'm a sports fan in North Carolina and I know that UConn won the national championship handily last year and crushed Duke and basically the same lineups are going at each other tomorrow, I'd be inclined to assume UConn will win. If I don't have a pony in the race, that should be the logical choice. I understand loyalty and we're not suggesting who these fans should root for but to simply say Duke will win because they're a local team and we support them is kinda disingenuous.

Guess I should have added a :p , :D, ;), or :rolleyes: after my statement. I was being facetious.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

And I could win the lottery...but chances are I'll still be a working stiff and UCONN will be undefeated. ;^)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom