WNBA pre-draft news | Page 6 | The Boneyard

WNBA pre-draft news

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Sjerven to Minnesota.

Kone to New York. That was a huge drop from where she was projected at some point.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but PG? Allen seems better suited to be a backup. Not sure any of the others fit. Again, they had Allemand, just can't believe they parted w/ her.
Danielle Robinson is probably the starter

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
They have the GOAT/assist leader, former MVP and champion, and Euroleague Final Four MVP, plus Momma Westbrook.
Unless they are cutting a veteran or two, Westbrook's chances of making the roster are between slim and none.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Can't keep up. Fever just picked Ali Patberg.

Reaction Score
Right it’s hard to even think about basketball with Brittney’s situation; that is heart breaking

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
So South Carolina has only 1 so far?
Did they have anyone else available in the draft? Next year will probably look a little different for them.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Who is their PG? Allen? Hartley? I can't believe they let Allemand go, she looked really good for them 2 years ago.

They got two 1st round picks in the Allemand trade.

And I'm not sure how often Allemand was actually going to play for them. I think it was a very smart trade for Indy.

Reaction Score
Did they have anyone else available in the draft? Next year will probably look a little different for them.

My guess is that Saxton was told she wasn't in the first 2 rounds and decided to come back. She was gone until a few days ago.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Happy for Dodson to get drafted. Don't think she's a WNBA talent but she can probably carve out a career in Europe if she wants to.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
At first glance I think Indiana won this draft. I like Smith as a prospect more than Howard and think she'll thrive in Indiana at #2. Gives them a star player to build around, and Smith will continue to improve. I also love Engstler at 4, she has all the skills to be a very good pro IMO without any major question marks. Hull at 6 is a little bit of a reach but like Engstler, she's a high energy hustle player that can help elevate the intensity on the court and in practice. Has good size too at 6-1. I also think Queen Egbo at 10 is an aggressive but compelling choice. She has the physical abilities to be a solid pro, just needs to avoid foul trouble and play with more consistency. I think she has the tools to be a solid backup a year or 2 down the line. And drafting Henderson at 20 is a great pick, she's solid on both ends and could compete with DRob/Lindsey Allen for playing time, likely in a backup role.

Other winners were Atlanta and Washington. Atlanta nabs Howard and somehow gets Naz Hillmon in the 2nd round. Naz has her shortcomings but could prove to be the steal of the draft if she works on her perimeter game. She definitely has the physical abilities and motor to be an excellent pro. Washington gets Shakira Austin who has pro skills and should be a solid backup year 1, and nabbing Christyn Williams in the 2nd round is a great value add. Williams has been streaky but should make the roster and could wind up being a solid pro. I don't love trading the 1st pick away but given the 2 they were left with, I thought they made strong picks.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
At first glance I think Indiana won this draft. I like Smith as a prospect more than Howard and think she'll thrive in Indiana at #2. Gives them a star player to build around, and Smith will continue to improve. I also love Engstler at 4, she has all the skills to be a very good pro IMO without any major question marks. Hull at 6 is a little bit of a reach but like Engstler, she's a high energy hustle player that can help elevate the intensity on the court and in practice. Has good size too at 6-1. I also think Queen Egbo at 10 is an aggressive but compelling choice. She has the physical abilities to be a solid pro, just needs to avoid foul trouble and play with more consistency. I think she has the tools to be a solid backup a year or 2 down the line. And drafting Henderson at 20 is a great pick, she's solid on both ends and could compete with DRob/Lindsey Allen for playing time, likely in a backup role.

Other winners were Atlanta and Washington. Atlanta nabs Howard and somehow gets Naz Hillmon in the 2nd round. Naz has her shortcomings but could prove to be the steal of the draft if she works on her perimeter game. She definitely has the physical abilities and motor to be an excellent pro. Washington gets Shakira Austin who has pro skills and should be a solid backup year 1, and nabbing Christyn Williams in the 2nd round is a great value add. Williams has been streaky but should make the roster and could wind up being a solid pro. I don't love trading the 1st pick away but given the 2 they were left with, I thought they made strong picks.
+1. Agree with all of this.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I like what New York got with Sabally, Kone, and Cubaj.
Add in Dolson as a FA, they won't be the smallest team in the league any more. Definitely have gone 180 degrees away from what the previous GM was trying to do.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
And gets to team with Mercedes again.
Kinda strange they both went from Willamette Valley in Oregon (Salem and Springfield are rather close) to Tennessee to Seattle in the WNBA, although their paths to ultimately end up there took some different turns.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Would be a bit worrying if Indiana didn't "win" the draft with 1/3 of the 1st round picks...

My love of mocking the Fever aside, Smith is my favorite player in the draft, I like the Engstler pick, and Henderson could actually make it with them as late as she was drafted.

I don't think Hillmon is a W player, so I'm less keen on Atlanta. Washington had a smart draft as always. Williams can actually make their roster and contribute, which would validate the decision to trade out of #1 a bit.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Would be a bit worrying if Indiana didn't "win" the draft with 1/3 of the 1st round picks...
Now they need to try to win some actual games.

Reaction Score
Kone international player there was a lot of buzz about. Surprised nobody pulled the trigger on her in the 1st Round.

Sjerven to Minnesota.

Kone to New York. That was a huge drop from where she was projected at some point.

I wonder if her knee injury had some teams holding off. The ESPN article about her talks about her having injury recently. Glad to learn the prognosis wasn't as bad as initially feared and that her recovery is a matter of weeks versus a year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom