Reaction Score

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I think Sims goes in first three picks.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It isn't about best alone, it is, also, about needs. I think the assessment of the Liberty's interior needs is acurate.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I agree needs sometime takes precedence over most talented. However, I predict Sims will be an annual All Star by her 2nd year and it wouldn't surprise me if she's not in her 1st year. Don't think Liberty or whoever picks 2nd can afford to pass on Sims. Even if I'm Tulsa, I take Sims and hope her and Skylar can play together.

It isn't about best alone, it is, also, about needs. I think the assessment of the Liberty's interior needs is acurate.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I agree needs sometime takes precedence over most talented. However, I predict Sims will be an annual All Star by her 2nd year and it wouldn't surprise me if she's not in her 1st year. Don't think Liberty or whoever picks 2nd can afford to pass on Sims. Even if I'm Tulsa, I take Sims and hope her and Skylar can play together.
I can understand that and I do think Sims goes significantly higher the her placement on the first list. However, talented multi-skilled, bigs are a very rare commodity, too. Maybe rarer than 1st class point guards.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
wow those two are not even similar! 2nd is closer to what I think will happen.

Anyone familiar with Jordan Hooper? I haven't seen her play and they say my Storm may take her. I still think Kayla McBride is the first ND player taken Maggie Lucas might move up, and hopefully Bria moves up, by one spot :)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Interesting last pick in the second link. Michala Johnson - PF - Connecticut. :eek:

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
I thought the 2nd list of picks was more accurate. Having said that, they still list Michala Johnson as a Connecticut player...but I would LOVE to see her go to the next level!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
What is the Sun's guard situation next year? Have we heard whether Lawson is returning, or no?

Hard to go wrong with either Sims or Chiney if you're the Sun. I know Chiney is exceptional but as many coaches have noted, including, for example, Cheryl Reeve and also Geno on several occasions (IIRC), it's more of a guard's game now than ever. Great players who have the ball in their hands are harder to stop than great 4s and 5s.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I can understand that and I do think Sims goes significantly higher the her placement on the first list. However, talented multi-shilled bigs are a very rare comodity, too. Maybe rarer than 1st class point guards.

Wherever Chiney goes, it will be a lot of fun to watch her in her first matchup with Nneka.

That's two Energizer bunnies in 6'2" and 6'3" frames right there!

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
What most interests me is Bria's season. She couldn't rise to the top last year, but now healthy
she will cause lots of GM's to rethink.

Reaction Score
The second mock draft they have Anchowa picked before Dolson, what"s up with that. If Liberty get second pick they will go with Sims, Lambeer like athletic big guards.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

Completely disagree, with all due respect.

First, the Liberty spent one year under Laimbeer with a somewhat makeshift roster, of former Detroit players (whom Laimbeer coached), one superstar (Cappie), one star lost for the season (Carson), and a lot of young players (especially the two rookies).

Second, the Liberty took Kelsey Bone (center) and Toni Young (power forward) in last year's draft. Bone averaged 7 points and 5.4 rebounds in only 19 minutes per game; those numbers will improve as she develops (especially under Laimbeer, who is known for bringing out the best in his post players) and plays more minutes.

And between Bone and Kara Braxton, the center position accounted for 15.7 points and 12.0 rebounds per game. Those are *really* good numbers.

Third, while Plenette Pierson did not shoot well, she still 11.6 points and 5.8 rebounds per game. Her backup, Toni Young, put up 4.1 points and just about 2.0 rebounds per game, in limited minutes (11.1 per game) and while shooting 47.5 percent from the floor.

The interior presence is NOT the issue. The point guard position, however, IS the issue.

The Liberty offense was the worst in the WNBA last year. Last year, Cappie Pondexter was forced to play the point, due a lack of viable options. Leilani Mitchell is a backup, not starter material. Experimenting with Chucky Jeffry and Samantha Prahalis failed.

And Cappie is best OFF the ball. You saw that in Phoenix, with Cappie and Diana. While both excel with the ball in their hands and are great passers and very good facilitators for others, especially in pick-and-roll and pick-and-pop situations (Diana is the better playmaker of the two, although Cappie is still very good), they are at their best when they are not responsible for initiating the offense but can initiating "their own" offense, creating for themselves first and foremost (with passing to an open player as a second option, not as an equally viable first option).

New York needs a point guard, first and foremost. Now, when you have the top pick, you take the best available player. You do consider position, but you take the best player and the biggest (potential) superstar. Why? Because you can trade her later, especially if she does not necessarily fill a need. Look at 2007. Phoenix took Lindsey Harding, even though the team had Kelly Miller as the PG, Cappie as the SG, and Taurasi as the SG/SF. Harding was traded to get Tangela Smith, a player who best fit Westhead's system and was a key in winning the title that year.

Who is the best player? Another issue. And you have to consider the "best player in college" vs. "likely the best pro." For example, I think Alyssa Thomas is arguably one of the two best players in college. But is she going to be the best pro? Will she be an undersized power forward in the WNBA? Or can be a slashing wing, playing next to a power forward with great shooting range?

But if New York has the second pick, the two names to consider are Odyssey Sims and Chelsea Gray. Gray is the better passer and facilitator; Sims is the better scoring point guard prospect and someone with superstar potential. Gray is the better player to take if you have pieces in place and want everyone to get better through a common facilitator; Sims is the better player to take if you need a potential star who can get her own . Gray has more experience playing with very good players and making them better. Sims is better at working with another superstar (Griner), so pairing her with Cappie should not be that much of a challenge (though having another star in the backcourt will take some adjustment).

Reaction Score
I thought the 2nd list of picks was more accurate. Having said that, they still list Michala Johnson as a Connecticut player...but I would LOVE to see her go to the next level!

and she's a junior.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I agree that Gray is the best passer but watching her I think she lacks speed and not just because of the injury but because she has problems with her gait. She could have continuing problems with the same knee due to her gait. As a PG in the W that could be a problem.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I agree that Gray is the best passer but watching her I think she lacks speed and not just because of the injury but because she has problems with her gait. She could have continuing problems with the same knee due to her gait. As a PG in the W that could be a problem.

She lacks speed because she is not 100 percent (maybe 70-75 percent) and because she is not in basketball shape/condition.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
As I said in my post I was referring to her biomechanics not post injury, IMO the injury could be a result of poor biomechanics and poor biomechanics can affect a persons ability to improve speed, she clearly has 1 knee turning in and has had that gait from watching her from day 1 not just in college.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Second, the Liberty took Kelsey Bone (center) and Toni Young (power forward) in last year's draft. Bone averaged 7 points and 5.4 rebounds in only 19 minutes per game; those numbers will improve as she develops (especially under Laimbeer, who is known for bringing out the best in his post players) and plays more minutes.

And between Bone and Kara Braxton, the center position accounted for 15.7 points and 12.0 rebounds per game. Those are *really* good numbers.

Didn't realize they have both those players and must have been thinking about a year ago before they took Bone. On the other hand Stef's game and abilities are almost the perfect mirror of Bill's in the pros. That might just entice him to take her.

Reaction Score
As the WNBA Draft lottery is picked Tuesday afternoon, who are the top players to watch this college season? Who should your favorite team be looking at to cure their ills, to fix their problems? Is it one of these players? The future will let us know….

http://post original url/O4luxZGeMG

Reaction Score
Well said. If you happen to have the second draft pick and you are strong at the guard positions but quite weak inside, are you going to draft Sims or go for someone like Stef? I think the only way you would draft someone in the first round based on ability and not on perceived needs is if you have intentions of trading that person or draft pick to better yourself.

Reaction Score
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...mplete-first-round-predictions-for-every-team

Definitely don't agree with their predictions. I like Stef, but no way is she the 2nd best player in the draft.

Found this Mock Draft after I posted the above.

http://www.draftsite.com/mydraftsite/Dogbone50/wnba/mock-draft/2014/

I agree with this one more then the one above

Draft Lottery is today on ESPN @ 4:30
I know most people won't agree with me but I'd draft Kayla McBride before I'd go with Chiney. I think there are a lot of athletic players in the WNBA who are at least a match with Chiney in that regard but McBride is someone with outstanding skills. I think she's a terrific scorer and has a great basketball IQ. I know she used to terrorize the Huskies and she's a lot more rounded than the one dimensional (in my opinion) Chiney.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Bill L has spent some time at the beach this fall :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyClifton

Top Bottom