Wnba lottery draft | The Boneyard

Wnba lottery draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The Sims-draft or the Ogwumike draft?

After watching Sims this season I cannot imagine her not being the number one pick. Point guards like her come along rarely so unless a team already has a great PG, I am guessing that Sims goes first.

Reaction Score
ETT, I definitely would not have agreed with you at the start of the season, but Sims is making an extremely strong case.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Its going to be very interesting but yes, it could come down to Sims or Ogumwike.

Like I said before it will come down to need I believe. Both of those players are equally strong and will likely go 1 and 2.

Order?

Not sure who just yet. I think it will depend on 2 things: 1. Who gets the #1 draft pick and 2. what are their specific needs.

Reaction Score
Its going to be very interesting but yes, it could come down to Sims or Ogumwike.

Like I said before it will come down to need I believe. Both of those players are equally strong and will likely go 1 and 2.

Order?

Not sure who just yet. I think it will depend on 2 things: 1. Who gets the #1 draft pick and 2. what are their specific needs.

I am throwing Kayla McBride name into the discussion for a top pick. Great shooter, defender, rebounder...not afraid to get physical...received some high praise for her performance at the Team USA Camp, including Geno:

“I think in their own way, everybody had an impact and stood out at different times in various ways,” Auriemma summed up. But the head coach also had rave reviews for a collegian from former Big East opponent Notre Dame. “[Y]ou know, somebody like Kayla McBride, who, I’m sure, a lot of the players here and a lot of the committee maybe didn’t know, they certainly know who she is today. You know guys like Stewie [Breanna Stewart], because everybody knows her because of what happened in the NCAA Tournament, and … she certainly didn’t disappoint anybody. But somebody like Kayla, … I think opened a lot of eyes, ‘cause it’s her first time on this stage. And you know, when you see that, I think it’s very rewarding to be a part of that.”

Reaction Score
Ogwumike, Stef Dolson or Bria Hartley- depending on the needs of the team (Hartley is a senior, right?).

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Size, power, strength = #1 draft choice. Not saying that's right, just the way it is.....

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm curious if people think Simms is better than Diggins. Skylar went 3rd and ended up not even starting on her team, losing her starting spot to another rookie from Kansas I believe. Simms is a scoring guard, correct? Like Skylar? I know she has PG skills, like Skylar, but she also scores in bunches. I'd be curious to see an honest assessment of her game. I agree great PG's are hard to come by, but I'd be cautious after seeing how Diggins fared this season. Of course, Diggins has a long career ahead of her so one season does not a career make.

I agree it will come down to needs. Chiney is a phenom and she has size. If she's considered a better prospect than her sister, I can't see her not going #1, as Nneka has been sensational in the WNBA. I also think it will depend if a team needs size, or what they are lacking. This season's draft is incredibly deep IMHO with lots of talent at lots of different positions.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I think folks are saying Sims has a "WNBA-ready body"... that wasnt the case for Diggins. I guess that means it will be easier for OSims to mix it up with physical play

Reaction Score
Simms had to play second fiddle to Griner last season but now she's the top dog on Baylor's team. I didn't realize the Baylor-Kentucky game was on last week or I would've recorded it. Simms must be pretty good if she scored 47 points on that team.

The pressure got to Skylar Diggins last season IMO. People think she tried to do too much and the coach had to give her a break. Angel Goodrich will be one of the premier point guards in the WNBA so Tulsa is loaded at the point guard position right now. I think they could be the best team in the league with the right draft choice. It's hard for me to choose between Chiney and Dolson. Either one of them could fill a void for Tulsa. Chiney is kind of like Glory Johnson so maybe they should choose Dolson.

Tulsa with Dolson at power foward and Cambage at center would be hard to beat. Two solid point guards (Diggins and Goodrich), Riquana Williams at shooting guard and Glory Johnson at small foward. If they could get a fast break offense going then...WOW!

Reaction Score
I'd like to add that the WNBA has outgrown the playoff format they're using. A three game semi-final and five game conference and league final series is not enough. The semi-final should be at least five games and the other seven games. The teams are too interesting now to shortchange fans. Especially in the Western Conference.

Reaction Score
I think folks are saying Sims has a "WNBA-ready body"... that wasnt the case for Diggins. I guess that means it will be easier for OSims to mix it up with physical play

Sims is heavier I guess. I don't see that making much of a difference though. Rarely are 5'8" player ever WNBA ready is Sims is indeed that tall. Sims may very well end up looking more WNBA ready than Diggins though if she goes to a better situation. Point guards struggle with the transition to the WNBA in general, but Tulsa was basically the worst case scenario in terms of an environment for Diggins to have early success.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
If the Sun don't pick Sims. What will the Shock do with the 2nd pick?

Reaction Score

Alyssa Thomas. Nicole Powell played the three this year for them.

BTW, let's not forget the Sun traded their second round pick for Kayla Pedersen!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

Take Sims and work a trade, possibly. Not that I know with whom, or for whom .......but they will stick with SkyDigg for at least this season, and Glory could use some help especially if Cambage doesn't show again. Is anyone thinking she will be back, possibly?

Or even keep Sims - they may be loaded at guard but if she's good, she's good, and someone else will get the pink slip.

Edit: I like A. Thomas as a pick as well, and let Sims pass. We'll see by springtime how both of these players (and Chiney) perform in their final few months.

Reaction Score
Sims is heavier I guess. I don't see that making much of a difference though. Rarely are 5'8" player ever WNBA ready is Sims is indeed that tall. Sims may very well end up looking more WNBA ready than Diggins though if she goes to a better situation. Point guards struggle with the transition to the WNBA in general, but Tulsa was basically the worst case scenario in terms of an environment for Diggins to have early success.[/quote]

Not really.

It would've helped if Cambage came to the team in shape but she was out of shape and was coming off an injury. Like Britanny Griner the coach didn't know how to best use Cambage or Riquana Williams. Goodrich bailed them out after the bad start. If they get a coach who knows how to use them and get some help with rebounding I think they could be on top of the Western Conference with what they have.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not really.

It would've helped if Cambage came to the team in shape but she was out of shape and was coming off an injury. Like Britanny Griner the coach didn't know how to best use Cambage or Riquana Williams. Goodrich bailed them out after the bad start. If they get a coach who knows how to use them and get some help with rebounding I think they could be on top of the Western Conference with what they have.
I tend to agree. Diggins is 5'9" and 145. She lost her starting job to another rookie, Goodrich, 5'4", 125. Maybe Goodrich was more "solid", but for a player as heralded to lose her starting spot to another rookie - Tulsa was the perfect place for Diggins to enjoy some success. But she didn't. However, I still think she will be a terrific pro. But it's not like she lost her starting job to Bevilaqua, or some other experienced guard.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
ESPN and the WNBA put a ton of pressure on the "Three To See". Only Delle Donne was prepared to handle it and in fact, ran with it. I could see while attending her games at Delaware that she would thrive in the WNBA. For Skylar to look good it depended on how the other players on the Shock did. Diggins would get the other players open shots but they would miss them. What more could she do?

The way she approached her game will be better for the Shock as a team in the long run.

Reaction Score
Totally agree. Diggins is 5'9" and 145. She lost her starting job to another rookie, Goodrich, 5'4", 125. Maybe Goodrich was more "solid", but for a player as heralded to lose her starting spot to another rookie - Tulsa was the perfect place for Diggins to enjoy some success. But she didn't. However, I still think she will be a terrific pro. But it's not like she lost her starting job to Bevilaqua, or some other experienced guard.

I think if Goodrich would've went to Phoenix it would've been great for her and better for the Mercury. That would've freed Tarausi to be more of a scorer plus Griner and Dupree could get better shots (if used in the right way). There were tremendous odds against Goodrich making the team or even getting drafted but she did it.

I watched my recording of the second game of the playoff game between the Sparks and the Mercury last night.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
damg 2 of the top 3 drafts stayed in the States... only BG is playing overseas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads