WNBA Draft (merged) | The Boneyard

WNBA Draft (merged)

Reaction Score
Just wishing these two talented ladies the absolute best of luck. Wherever they may end up will be the beneficiary of very determined personalities that each one demonstrated in their own way every time they took the floor during their four years as Huskies. They will be missed but looking forward to seeing them succeed on the next stage.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
List so far -
  1. Charisma Osborne, UCLA
  2. Nika Muhl, UConn
  3. Aaliyah Edwards, UConn
  4. Elizabeth Kitley, VIrginia Tech
  5. Rickea Jackson, Tennessee
  6. Dyaisha Fair, Syracuse
  7. Marquesha Davis, Ole Miss
  8. Caitlin Clark, Iowa
  9. Kamilla Cardoso, South Carolina
  10. Cameron Brink, Stanford
  11. Alissa Pili, Utah

Reaction Score
There’s already another thread titled Nika Muhl and WNBA draft. Should probably combine.

Reactions: DD2

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
14. Jacy Sheldon, Ohio State
15. Celeste Taylor, Ohio State

In 2023, 15 players were invited. No idea if this is the final list.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score

Hmmm ...

This is the opposite of what I expected. I thought that the Lynx would be trading up, rather than down, in the draft order, to maximize their chances of drafting Aaliyah Edwards. It seems likely that Aaliyah will be off the board by #7, never mind #8.

This looks like they are either giving up on the idea of drafting Aaliyah, or are simply not as interested in her as I would have expected.

Reaction Score
Interesting move. I am so curious to see what Minnesota does with their picks. They have some depth at every position, so I am curious to see what Minnesota does.

The Sky will probably be at the bottom of the WNBA for 2024, loosing 3 of their 2023 starters: Copper, Courtney Williams, and Alana Smith with no significant free agency gains. Minnesota doesn't lose that much in the 2024 draft with the pick swap. Milic for Kone? Kone is a young player with potential, Milic is older and can probably give the Sky more support they need now. The Lynx are making a pretty good bet that Chicago will be at the bottom of the WNBA for two seasons and get a lottery pick for 2026. The 2025 2nd round pick will likely be a high 2nd round pick in a stong 2025 draft. Will Paige take that extra Covid Year and be in the 2026 draft?????

Reaction Score

I think the Sky did this to secure Angel Reese with the seventh pick. If it goes: Clark, Brink, Jackson/Cardoso, Sheldon, things would get interesting.

Dallas could also take Aaliyah with the fifth pick, and reunite her with Lou, but I think they take Sheldon because they don’t have as much guard depth as they do post. Washington could take the Aussie, Pouch, or Aaliyah with the sixth pick. If they take Pouch, Aaliyah could fall to 8th for Minnesota. She’d either form a duo with Stefanie Dolson or get reunited with Dorka and get the chance to play with Napheesa in Minny. I’ll be happy with either of those choices.

Reaction Score
Hmmm ...

This is the opposite of what I expected. I thought that the Lynx would be trading up, rather than down, in the draft order, to maximize their chances of drafting Aaliyah Edwards. It seems likely that Aaliyah will be off the board by #7, never mind #8.

This looks like they are either giving up on the idea of drafting Aaliyah, or are simply not as interested in her as I would have expected.
Would love to see Aaliyah in Minnesota but, agree, not looking like that will happen. Hopefully the Lynx have no interest in Reese....

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Would love to see Aaliyah in Minnesota but, agree, not looking like that will happen. Hopefully the Lynx have no interest in Reese....
We know Minnesota loves UConn players. Aaliyah won't be there at eight, but another UConn player will be. Seems high, but you never know.

My first reaction was that Chicago is moving up to seven to likely get Reese. She is seven in a lot of mock drafts. A very recent mock draft from NBC Sports has Reese going seven to Chicago and Nika going eight to Minnesota.

Minnesota has some small quick guards in Courtney Williams and Hiedeman, and a good scoring guard in McBride. They also have other good scorers, Collier of course and Diamond Miller. So it could be a decent fit, as a backup point guard who plays defense and gets the ball to the scorers. And she reunites with Dorka under this approach, which is a plus for both of them.

Reaction Score
We know Minnesota loves UConn players. Aaliyah won't be there at eight, but another UConn player will be. Seems high, but you never know.

My first reaction was that Chicago is moving up to seven to likely get Reese. She is seven in a lot of mock drafts. A very recent mock draft from NBC Sports has Reese going seven to Chicago and Nika going eight to Minnesota.

Minnesota has some small quick guards in Courtney Williams and Hiedeman, and a good scoring guard in McBride. They also have other good scorers, Collier of course and Diamond Miller. So it could be a decent fit, as a backup point guard who plays defense and gets the ball to the scorers. And she reunites with Dorka under this approach, which is a plus for both of them.
Not sure why they are so interested in Reese. Sure she’s a good rebounder but her offense is really limited to layups and putbacks off of offensive rebounding! She is going to find bigger and better post defenders at every turn and unless they believe that she’s somehow going to suddenly become a consistent shooter from outside, it’s difficult to see how she can be worth a high draft pick. Of course. considering the paucity of really good players in this draft, perhaps they are willing to roll the dice and hope she can develop a reliable outside shot. I think the W is likely to be a humbling experience for Ms. Reese but I wish her well.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Not sure why they are so interested in Reese. Sure she’s a good rebounder but her offense is really limited to layups and putbacks off of offensive rebounding! She is going to find bigger and better post defenders at every turn and unless they believe that she’s somehow going to suddenly become a consistent shooter from outside, it’s difficult to see how she can be worth a high draft pick. Of course. considering the paucity of really good players in this draft, perhaps they are willing to roll the dice and hope she can develop a reliable outside shot. I think the W is likely to be a humbling experience for Ms. Reese but I wish her well.
Sika Kone is still only 21 years old and was recently named the EuroLeague newcomer of the year.
So, Minnesota is getting a young forward, probably just not via the draft.

With the trading of Kone, I think Angel Reese is the target of that #7 pick. Why? Teresa Witherspoon is a defensive-minded coach who likes aggressiveness, particularly on the defensive side of the ledger. Sky is betting she'll contribute enough on D and rebounding while she hopefully develops a more well-rounded offensive game.

Will that affect the #3 pick? Many had thought Cardoso had jumped to the fore on that front, but if Reese looks to be the target at #7, will they go with Cardoso who, while very, very tall, is still somewhat unrefined on the offensive end? Or will they go with the sure thing in Rickea Jackson? Remember, Diamond DeShields, I believe, is not on a guaranteed contract.

Still not sure about the Kone deal so I'll be really interested in how Sky management proceeds.

Reaction Score
I don’t see Reese going that high either. Angel can rebound yet she is VERY limited offensively. Aaliyah ought to go pretty high as she is very athletic and has developed her offensive skills this past year.

Reaction Score
Hmmm ...

I was checking the Lynx draft coverage in the Star Tribune (Minneapolis) and Coach Reeve mentioned something about having depth at each position and how the Lynx would draft the "best" available player. We shall see what Minnesota does with their two picks.

Reaction Score
The Sky will probably be at the bottom of the WNBA for 2024, loosing 3 of their 2023 starters: Copper, Courtney Williams, and Alana Smith with no significant free agency gains. Minnesota doesn't lose that much in the 2024 draft with the pick swap. Milic for Kone? Kone is a young player with potential, Milic is older and can probably give the Sky more support they need now. The Lynx are making a pretty good bet that Chicago will be at the bottom of the WNBA for two seasons and get a lottery pick for 2026. The 2025 2nd round pick will likely be a high 2nd round pick in a stong 2025 draft. Will Paige take that extra Covid Year and be in the 2026 draft?????

Hold on. They traded for the right to swap 1st round picks for next year's draft! The Lynx are betting on Chicago having a lottery pick next year and they could have a shot at Paige!

Reaction Score
Nika Aaliyah 3-25-24.jpg

Hopes for the very best landing spots in the W for our two Warriors

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Chicago Sun Times attempt to interpret what the Sky have done and, perhaps, what they're trying to do in draft, roster reconstruction.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom