WNBA draft 2024: Who is the best all-time No. 1 pick? | The Boneyard

WNBA draft 2024: Who is the best all-time No. 1 pick?

Reaction Score
The 2024 WNBA draft is Monday (7:30 p.m. ET, ESPN) and Iowa Hawkeyes guard Caitlin Clark is essentially considered a lock as the No. 1 pick by the Indiana Fever. If so, she will join a list of 27 other players who have had their name selected first in the WNBA draft, which began in 1997, the league's inaugural year.

The majority of No. 1 picks have paid off for the WNBA teams that selected them. Eight former No. 1 picks have combined to win 13 MVP awards; 16 have won at least one WNBA championship.

Reaction Score
Well, I am happy that the top 6 has 4 from UConn. Brittney Griner is at #10.

Reaction Score
Hmm... I have some heartburn with this one since in my mind if your leading variable is longevity then yes DT. But if you are looking at efficiency of a career, then I'm going with Maya.

It's like being forced to pick who your favorite UConn child is....

Reaction Score
Hmm... I have some heartburn with this one since in my mind if your leading variable is longevity then yes DT. But if you are looking at efficiency of a career, then I'm going with Maya.

It's like being forced to pick who your favorite UConn child is....
Me too. Maya will be my #1 and DT #2.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
D far in the front, not to say the others better didn't pan out. i wouldn't put candace before bird. ... we're talking most impactful pick, not the best player.

charli collier makes the list???? perhaps they had a reason but i didn't read the blurb.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
D far in the front, not to say the others better didn't pan out. i wouldn't put candace before bird. ... we're talking most impactful pick, not the best player.

charli collier makes the list???? perhaps they had a reason but i didn't read the blurb.
They ranked ALL of them from best to worst. Collier is the worst. Hard to argue that Bird hasn't had a better career than Parker. A couple nits, but pretty good list order, overall IMHO.

Maya could have been a/the GOAT, but she didn't stay in the league long enough.

Reaction Score
Maya could have been a/the GOAT, but she didn't stay in the league long enough.
Maya is a great mom now.

Maya Moore-2.jpg

Reaction Score
To be the best you have to understand that basketball is entertainment so if you are great at playing the game but are boring to watch then you can't be the all time best. The men's game was transformed when Bird and Magic came into the league and it wasn't just their basketball that caused the swell in popularity. People really enjoyed the entertainment value of both players.

The women's game is currently in the pre Bird/Magic era where you have some really talented players but they lack the entertainment aspect of the game. That is why I think the best Number 1 today will be different than the best Number 1 in a week. No player has brought the casual fans in like Caitlyn Clark and it is 100% her entertainment value even though she is also a great player. She can shoot from downtown, she can take any player off the dribble and score and she is an exceptional passer but all those things pale compared to her style.

To me it was a shame for the WNBA that Paige didn't also go to the league this year. The two of them together would have completely transformed the game from one that is entertaining for hard core fans to a game open to the masses and millions of new watchers. They both have an incredible amount of flair to their game that I personally haven't seen in the WNBA to this point.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
To be the best you have to understand that basketball is entertainment so if you are great at playing the game but are boring to watch then you can't be the all time best. The men's game was transformed when Bird and Magic came into the league and it wasn't just their basketball that caused the swell in popularity. People really enjoyed the entertainment value of both players.

The women's game is currently in the pre Bird/Magic era where you have some really talented players but they lack the entertainment aspect of the game. That is why I think the best Number 1 today will be different than the best Number 1 in a week. No player has brought the casual fans in like Caitlyn Clark and it is 100% her entertainment value even though she is also a great player. She can shoot from downtown, she can take any player off the dribble and score and she is an exceptional passer but all those things pale compared to her style.

To me it was a shame for the WNBA that Paige didn't also go to the league this year. The two of them together would have completely transformed the game from one that is entertaining for hard core fans to a game open to the masses and millions of new watchers. They both have an incredible amount of flair to their game that I personally haven't seen in the WNBA to this point.
A lot of people think that Clark is going to the best player in the WNBA, I can tell you right now there are guards in this league that will shut her down more than what Nika did. She is a rookie and will have a number of vets that are just waiting to welcome her to the W, and not in a good way.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
A lot of people think that Clark is going to the best player in the WNBA, I can tell you right now there are guards in this league that will shut her down more than what Nika did. She is a rookie and will have a number of vets that are just waiting to welcome her to the W, and not in a good way.
I'm sure every rookie goes thru this to some degree, but I have a feeling many vets are taking it kinda personal how much attention Clark has gotten (which they should just get over, but whatever) and they are going to go above and beyond to make her introduction to the league difficult.

Reaction Score
1. Maya 2. Diana 3. Candace 4. Sue 5. Stewie
This depends on the definition of the word "best". No, I'm serious. If you put yourself in the position of a general manager and consider each draft pick to be an expenditure of money, then best means who gave you the most for your money? Looked at it that way, it can't be Maya. This is definitely not a criticism, but she only played for something like 8 years. Good, but not an exceptional use of a general manager's draft pick.

In this context it would have to be DT and Sue. Excellent basketball players giving 40+ combined years of service. They are the best use of a draft pick.

If the definition of "best" is basketball talent, then stronger arguments could be made for your order.

So who's the best? It depends... :)

Reaction Score
This depends on the definition of the word "best". No, I'm serious. If you put yourself in the position of a general manager and consider each draft pick to be an expenditure of money, then best means who gave you the most for your money? Looked at it that way, it can't be Maya. This is definitely not a criticism, but she only played for something like 8 years. Good, but not an exceptional use of a general manager's draft pick.

In this context it would have to be DT and Sue. Excellent basketball players giving 40+ combined years of service. They are the best use of a draft pick.

If the definition of "best" is basketball talent, then stronger arguments could be made for your order.

She only played for 8 years and they only paid her for 8 years. How is that less efficient than paying DT or Sue for 20+ years. Also didn’t Maya win 4 titles in those 8 years? That’s about as much bang as your going to get for your buck.

Reaction Score

The best movie is defined by custom viewers and the movie critics, not by the movie makers.

Reaction Score
The 2024 WNBA draft is Monday (7:30 p.m. ET, ESPN) and Iowa Hawkeyes guard Caitlin Clark is essentially considered a lock as the No. 1 pick by the Indiana Fever. If so, she will join a list of 27 other players who have had their name selected first in the WNBA draft, which began in 1997, the league's inaugural year.

The majority of No. 1 picks have paid off for the WNBA teams that selected them. Eight former No. 1 picks have combined to win 13 MVP awards; 16 have won at least one WNBA championship.

I wouldn’t put Parker higher than 5. My top 5 would be DT, Bird, Maya and Stewie. Maybe at least an honorable mention for Lobo? Thoughts.

Reaction Score
Maya Moore. If I remember correctly, she has a 4 for 8 wnba championship percentage. None of the rest won the championship 50% of the time. I also think the other years were deep play off runs. Yeah her career wasn't as long as others, but you can't argue with the efficiency.

Reaction Score
She only played for 8 years and they only paid her for 8 years. How is that less efficient than paying DT or Sue for 20+ years. Also didn’t Maya win 4 titles in those 8 years? That’s about as much bang as your going to get for your buck.
Well we both could be wrong if Stewie proves to be the best draft pick of all time. However, until then I'll stand by opinion that 20+ years from DT/Sue trumps 8 years from Maya. It's not about efficiency, it's about who proved to be the best draft pick. I'll take 20+ years of very good basketball. Think about it for a minute, in all those years no college kid could push them off the roster, and there's been some good kids entering the WNBA in those years (not to mention free agents).

Reaction Score
Well we both could be wrong if Stewie proves to be the best draft pick of all time. However, until then I'll stand by opinion that 20+ years from DT/Sue trumps 8 years from Maya. It's not about efficiency, it's about who proved to be the best draft pick. I'll take 20+ years of very good basketball. Think about it for a minute, in all those years no college kid could push them off the roster, and there's been some good kids entering the WNBA in those years (not to mention free agents).
Stewie no longer plays for the team that drafted her.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well, I am happy that the top 6 has 4 from UConn. Brittney Griner is at #10.
And three of the top four. Might as well say five of the top 12 too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom