WNBA announces Bay Area expansion team to begin play in 2025 | The Boneyard

WNBA announces Bay Area expansion team to begin play in 2025

sun

Reaction Score
One of the 2 new expected WNBA expansion teams has been announced.

What to know about the Warriors' WNBA expansion franchise

Last edited:

sun

Reaction Score
Okay. I’ll say it. How, in gods name, is this league expanding?
I thought the article explained it pretty well.
The WNBA will be up for a new media contract & expect more fans to cross over to follow the growing popularity of the current college stars well into the future.
Th expansion will also coincide with the new women's March Madness media contract which ends after 2023 - 2024.

The Future of Women’s March Madness Media Rights Is Bright

March Madness Finals Ratings Set A Record High For Women, Record Low For Men

Reaction Score
I thought the article explained it pretty well.
The WNBA will be up for a new media contract & expect more fans to cross over to follow the growing popularity of the current college stars well into the future.
Th expansion will also coincide with the new women's March Madness media contract which ends after 2023 - 2024.

The Future of Women’s March Madness Media Rights Is Bright

March Madness Finals Ratings Set A Record High For Women, Record Low For Men

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
The Bay Area has a large diverse population with corresponding disposable income. We just can't keep the A's in Oakland. But we have a MLS team in San Jose! (The Raiders failed because their fans could not attend the games, parole violation to be proximity of other felons.)
What entertains people is their business. This, to me, is certainly more interesting than watching a bunch of pasty old guys wander around backwoods Georgia, but people tell me the Master's Golf Tournament is entertaining, a tradition unlike any other. Truthfully, I rather go to the dentist than watch either.

Reaction Score
The Bay Area has a large diverse population with corresponding disposable income. We just can't keep the A's in Oakland. But we have a MLS team in San Jose! (The Raiders failed because their fans could not attend the games, parole violation to be proximity of other felons.)
What entertains people is their business. This, to me, is certainly more interesting than watching a bunch of pasty old guys wander around backwoods Georgia, but people tell me the Master's Golf Tournament is entertaining, a tradition unlike any other. Truthfully, I rather go to the dentist than watch either.
Final round of the Masters. 12.1m viewers.
WNBA finals last year. 524,000 viewers.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Okay. I’ll say it. Who cares?
I care. I was there to see the Sun lose with reffing that would make David Stern proud. I was pissed when I left.

Reaction Score
I care. I was there to see the Sun lose with reffing that would make David Stern proud. I was pissed when I left.

Refereeing in the women’s college game is beyond pathetic I can only imagine the WNBA. Good news is I wouldn’t know!

sun

Reaction Score

Notice that he only asks men.
Why doesn't he ask any women?
The sports industry is grooming a new generation of women sports fans which takes time to grow.
Women have more buying power than ever which means more advertising Dollars that targets them.
I noticed the weekly WNBA games being broadcast on the CW Network over the free airwaves.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Can we move this along to where it belongs please, don’t actually care.

sun

Reaction Score

WNBA Sees Massive Increase In Television Ratings This Year

Average Viewership Of WNBA Game And Ratings 2023

On another note, the women's game between the Seattle Storm and Las Vegas Aces on ABC was popular as, on average, 852,000 people watched the game, and at one point, it had 1.1 million viewers. This made it the most-watched WNBA game on any channel since 2008.
The latest WNBA viewership demographics reveal that most of the audience are women, accounting for 52% of the overall viewers

Reaction Score
Then why did you click on this clearly labeled thread?

Because I like reading all the threads in this forum even the ones that obviously don’t belong. And you don’t have to move it or even care what I think either. Just throwing out how I feel like I do on all threads.

Reaction Score
Notice that he only asks men.
Why doesn't he ask any women?
The sports industry is grooming a new generation of women sports fans which takes time to grow.
Women have more buying power than ever which means more advertising Dollars that targets them.
I noticed the weekly WNBA games being broadcast on the CW Network over the free airwaves.
That’s because women don’t go to sporting events. They watch The Bachelor.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
That’s because women don’t go to sporting events. They watch The Bachelor.
Huh? I went to a Lighting game last week and tomorrow I’m going to the Lions-Panthers football game.

71772290285__19AC81C6-0620-42D6-B4AE-46CAB605350B.jpeg

Reaction Score
Huh? I went to a Lighting game last week and tomorrow I’m going to the Lions-Panthers football game.

View attachment 91906
Fine.

Why aren’t WNBA numbers better? Because men don’t go to or watch games?

The way I see it. Men follow sports worth watching. Shoot. Cornhole is on ESPN. So either the product stinks. Or women aren’t supporting women. Am I missing another option?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Fine.

Why aren’t WNBA numbers better? Because men don’t go to or watch games?

The way I see it. Men follow sports worth watching. Shoot. Cornhole is on ESPN. So either the product stinks. Or women aren’t supporting women. Am I missing another option?
Because basketball viewership is down overall; it’s part of a trend

If one is looking for the most unflattering interpretation, this season ranks among the least-watched of the past 30 years — ahead of the two COVID-shortened seasons of 2019-20 (1.55M) and 2020-21 (1.36M) and two years of the league’s mid-2000s lull (2002-03: 1.58M; 2006-07 1.52M). That the past four seasons rank among the six least-watched, even with the addition of out-of-home viewing to Nielsen’s estimates, cannot be brushed aside.

The WNBA and women’s college basketball are niche sports. Cornhole is a niche…sport? Billiards, softball, drag racing, all of the are niche sports. There are millions of people who like them and millions that don’t care but people who do like them watch ads and buy products just like the people that watch the NFL and men’s sports do.

I bet you’re ok with billiards being on tv but somehow you really dislike the WNBA. In the nearly 30 years I’ve been on the Boneyard you and mau have never missed a chance to disparage and sneer at women’s basketball. I bet you post more condescending posts about women’s hoops than some people on the women’s board write in a year. That’s some impressive “not caring “ there,

Reaction Score

If one is looking for the most unflattering interpretation, this season ranks among the least-watched of the past 30 years — ahead of the two COVID-shortened seasons of 2019-20 (1.55M) and 2020-21 (1.36M) and two years of the league’s mid-2000s lull (2002-03: 1.58M; 2006-07 1.52M). That the past four seasons rank among the six least-watched, even with the addition of out-of-home viewing to Nielsen’s estimates, cannot be brushed aside.

The WNBA and women’s college basketball are niche sports. Cornhole is a niche…sport? Billiards, softball, drag racing, all of the are niche sports. There are millions of people who like them and millions that don’t care but people who do like them watch ads and buy products just like the people that watch the NFL and men’s sports do.

I bet you’re ok with billiards being on tv but somehow you really dislike the WNBA. In the nearly 30 years I’ve been on the Boneyard you and mau have never missed a chance to disparage and sneer at women’s basketball. I bet you post more condescending posts about women’s hoops than some people on the women’s board write in a year. That’s some impressive “not caring “ there,
I’ll take that bet Nan. I’ve rooted for the UConn women plenty and rarely even comment on much else so not sure where this comes from. Certainly not enough to make that statement. Whatever no worries.

Reaction Score

If you want to talk about the women’s team. Go to the women’s board. I don’t go on the women’s board to disparage anyone. Go on the men’s board and talk about them being able to beat the men’s team? Yeah. I’ll let you know.

You want to watch billiards or cornhole or basketball? Have at it. I go to as many UConn field hockey games as I can. Just don’t shove lies down anyone’s throat about ithe WNBA being a great product, watchable or profitable. It’s none of this and never has been.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom