Wish the fat, overweight team was still around. | The Boneyard

Wish the fat, overweight team was still around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
At least they put up a fight. Our crew of 8 is dropping football and moving to Hockey East. We love UConn but we all have kids and the competition and product is just better in hockey now. I'm sure this thread will be deleted but it is what it is.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Warde - you listenin'?

Reaction Score
Not giving up, but sure as hell not wasting $1000 on this crap next year

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Im still gonna watch the games...but it's an interesting comparison.

Hockey: goes from the Sun Belt to the SEC, has half as many scholarships as the rest of the conference- exciting product, always work very hard, not a lot of bluster in the press conference, big wins, great home atmosphere.

Football: basically the polar opposite of everything in hockey in every way.

Mike Cavanaugh isn't saying wild crap at press conferences....he's too busy beating top ten teams with one hand tied behind his back.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
We most likely go 3-9. D gets a F this year. F minus as he scapegoats his own players and previous admin.

Reaction Score
I don't blame you. I've bought season tickets every year since I was a freshmen at UConn in 2005, and I can't even justify spending the 100 or 120 bucks next year for the young alumni seats. This program is beyond belief and there's no light at the end of the tunnel that I can see. I'll go to a few games but I'll buy tickets for $2 or whatever on the secondary market.

I have to admit I was concerned when I saw Diaco's intro press conference. We all knew he had a tough job ahead of him because we were not a good team last year, and even then I smelled bull$hit, like he was way overcompensating with flash because there was nothing he could offer of substance. He seemed like a used car salesman. I thought at the time "If this guy can actually coach X's and O's, this is going to be an amazing hire." But a season in, I really don't think he can. He's just flash.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
We are likely staring at less than 10k season tickets next year.

Reaction Score
At least they put up a fight. Our crew of 8 is dropping football and moving to Hockey East. We love UConn but we all have kids and the competition and product is just better in hockey now. I'm sure this thread will be deleted but it is what it is.
Why would anyone delete this this thread? It is the most perfect how to raise a spoiled wineazz child post in quite some time. Son / daughter if your team of choice is not winning simply pick another that is doing well! If hockey starts to have a few bad games we can always go to the woman's bball games.
Hope your crew of 8 is going to be online tomorrow for the field hocky game at 1:00 it is for the NC! Then again with the comment above don't let the door hit you or the kids in the back side on the way out.
You do not love UCONN as you say...You only love a team that is winning. New generation band wagon....Not sure how this is good for the kids.

Reaction Score
Why would anyone delete this this thread? It is the most perfect how to raise a spoiled wineazz child post in quite some time. Son / daughter if your team of choice is not winning simply pick another that is doing well! If hockey starts to have a few bad games we can always go to the woman's bball games.
Hope your crew of 8 is going to be online tomorrow for the field hocky game at 1:00 it is for the NC! Then again with the comment above don't let the door hit you or the kids in the back side on the way out.
You do not love UCONN as you say...You only love a team that is winning. New generation band wagon....Not sure how this is good for the kids.

Just stating cold reality. 10 years ago when only one of the 8 had kids we skipped weddings and everything to go . I am just stating facts. Times have changed. We were all big time Whaler fans and all played hockey growing up. Hockey is our first sport for half our crew. I didn't mean to be controversial as much as I was stating a fact that our group cannot get up for Tulane, Tulsa, and Houston and the current product on the field. It is what it is. Just like Hartford isn't going to get up for the Wolfpack.

Choices, that's what UConn is up against and majority will choose not to go watch that debacle when they have other options like watching Power 5 football on TV when were now the equivalent of the new I-AA.

Reaction Score
I'm cool with that - I hope hockey is 100% sold out. Football will be back. I want sellouts for all UCONN sports, and not everyone can go to everything. If you love UCONN and live in the area and you can afford it you should have seasons for at least one team. Whatever one it is should be up to you.

Reaction Score
ive no idea what the point is - you wish it was 2013 and we were 1-9 heading in to last 2 games? Remember, that team quit early in the year. if we were 10-2 you'd still be coming or you'd still drop for hockey? Is it the sport, the conference, the lack of winning, something else? I'm excited to have UConn hockey here, but my guess is that down the road when the new car smell fades and the team has a tough few years, you and your crowd of 8 will be on to the next hot thing.

Reaction Score
I think 15-17K is the floor.

Zero - is the floor. Anything under 20k, means serious evaluation time as to WTF is happening currently with the program, and completely open discussion as to the quality of any and all future strategies to develop the program, and that means the entire program from the cleaning staff in the facilities to the football operations, to the business side, all of it.

Personally, I think we are already there. Waiting to see how many season ticket purchases happen next year would be.....well.......state employeeish.

Dooley

Reaction Score
3 year commitment "contracts" expire this season. While some of them may renew, my guess is that nearly all of them will drop a few seats in their package.

I'm sorry but I don't know how we are going to sell more than 10K (not including students) next year. Not with the string of lousy records we've put up coupled with the lackluster '15 home schedule that will feature zero games that the average UCONN fan will be interested in watching. Sure, we'll all be there but the casual fan sure as heck won't be. UCONN needs to very seriously consider slashing ticket prices up to 50%. Offer some sort of variable rate price package where the prices go back up 25% in 2016 if the team reaches a bowl game next year, otherwise keep the prices low.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
The fat, overweight team had much more pride and spunk than the trimmed down, in shape, love and care squad.

Rewatch the 3 wins from last year and the 2 from this year - the sidelines have a completely different demeanor.

Perfect Hair

I saw Diaco drinking a Pina Colada at Trader Vics
Reaction Score
The fat, overweight team had much more pride and spunk than the trimmed down, in shape, love and care squad.

Rewatch the 3 wins from last year and the 2 from this year - the sidelines have a completely different demeanor.

This year is the Bataan Death March and it started with pulling players off the field for their sleeve length before the BYU game. The NFL has sometimes been called the No Fun League and with his heavy hand that's what the Used Car Salesman has made for the players. My prediction is his head coaching career will be another acronym for the NFL: Not for Long

Reaction Score
3 year commitment "contracts" expire this season. While some of them may renew, my guess is that nearly all of them will drop a few seats in their package.

I'm sorry but I don't know how we are going to sell more than 10K (not including students) next year. Not with the string of lousy records we've put up coupled with the lackluster '15 home schedule that will feature zero games that the average UCONN fan will be interested in watching. Sure, we'll all be there but the casual fan sure as heck won't be. UCONN needs to very seriously consider slashing ticket prices up to 50%. Offer some sort of variable rate price package where the prices go back up 25% in 2016 if the team reaches a bowl game next year, otherwise keep the prices low.

So I have preferred seats (that come with a donation). I pay whatever the per game price is (say $30) plus $100/seat. So for my 4, I paid $310/seat which would be $280/seat next year since we only have 6 home games.

You could also choose to go without donations and pay $180/seat for the year.

I would argue it matters to families who are buying multiple tickets what the pricing is, but for a guy who is going solo, dropping the price from $180/season to $90/season isn't going to move the needle. I'm not saying that the product on the field isn't "overpriced", but you wouldn't fill the stadium if you gave the tickets away. The people that are leaving aren't going to leave because of price, they are leaving because they are disgusted.

Quite simply: Price is not going to entice someone to do something they don't want to do anyway. Especially when going to a game requires 3-4 hours of game time, plus travel time, plus tailgate time, plus other expenses, etc.

I've said this 100 times, the price of admission (unless you are inside or in the chairbacks) is the least expensive part of going to a game at the Rent.

So I believe we will have about 15K season ticket holders next year. Which sucks, but we had 24K show up on Saturday to watch a 2-8 team get killed on a cold November night. Doomsday might come, but it won't be here in August, no matter how upset everyone on the BY gets.

Dooley

Reaction Score
So I have preferred seats (that come with a donation). I pay whatever the per game price is (say $30) plus $100/seat. So for my 4, I paid $310/seat which would be $280/seat next year since we only have 6 home games.

You could also choose to go without donations and pay $180/seat for the year.

I would argue it matters to families who are buying multiple tickets what the pricing is, but for a guy who is going solo, dropping the price from $180/season to $90/season isn't going to move the needle. I'm not saying that the product on the field isn't "overpriced", but you wouldn't fill the stadium if you gave the tickets away. The people that are leaving aren't going to leave because of price, they are leaving because they are disgusted.

Quite simply: Price is not going to entice someone to do something they don't want to do anyway. Especially when going to a game requires 3-4 hours of game time, plus travel time, plus tailgate time, plus other expenses, etc.

I've said this 100 times, the price of admission (unless you are inside or in the chairbacks) is the least expensive part of going to a game at the Rent.

So I believe we will have about 15K season ticket holders next year. Which sucks, but we had 24K show up on Saturday to watch a 2-8 team get killed on a cold November night. Doomsday might come, but it won't be here in August, no matter how upset everyone on the BY gets.

I agree with most of what you wrote. I'm coming from more of a marketing angle than anything else. Season ticket holders are upset that they paid full share this past season knowing that fans could buy tickets, through UCONN sponsored promotions, for as little as $5 with a hockey ticket stub. I see offering some sort of renewal discount incentive to season ticket holders as more of an olive branch marketing tactic than an actual means to sell tickets. A "thank you" for being such a loyal fan and we appreciate your business move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom