Wisconsin board. Interesting opinion about our history with bigs | The Boneyard

Wisconsin board. Interesting opinion about our history with bigs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
One guy posts this gem about Wisconsins offense and that which Ollie runs here:

"Not when talking about an offense that will provide the floor spacing needed for a 6-10 center to get his points in the post without having to be worried about double teams vs an offense that doesn't use big men aside from fouling and rebounding"

Someone posted a great response:

"If that is the only factor you might have a point.
If I'm Kevin Ollie I might drop the following names: Andrew Drummond, Hasheem Thabeet, Hilton Armstrong, Charlie V, Emeka Okafor. Those are the UConn bigs drafted in the lottery in the past 10 years.

Here is the list of UW bigs drafted in the lottery in that stretch:

Lol! To which the response was as follows:

"were those guys lottery picks because they went to Connecticut or because they were good players?"
:confused:

The thought over there seems to be Stone is likely coming to Uconn which is funny because some have it as a foregone conclusion while the general consensus here is its 50/50. I dont follow recruiting but i must admit this is quite entertaining.:D

Reaction Score
infer that young man is UCONN stylin

however is he man UCONN stlylin

cut the cord; yes no is final part of decision tree

from the calm demeanor of student athlete in interview sets me thinks he dee man & respectfully deflects mommy daddy input regarding momdad needs

its HiS life to self actualize and he knows the vicarious mommydaddy model is not reality or his destiny

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Drummond and Charlie V are there only 2 on that list that were five-stars; in fact, I'm pretty sure none of the other three were even four-stars.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
One guy posts this gem about Wisconsins offense and that which Ollie runs here:

"Not when talking about an offense that will provide the floor spacing needed for a 6-10 center to get his points in the post without having to be worried about double teams vs an offense that doesn't use big men aside from fouling and rebounding"

Someone posted a great response:

"If that is the only factor you might have a point.
If I'm Kevin Ollie I might drop the following names: Andrew Drummond, Hasheem Thabeet, Hilton Armstrong, Charlie V, Emeka Okafor. Those are the UConn bigs drafted in the lottery in the past 10 years.

Here is the list of UW bigs drafted in the lottery in that stretch:

Lol! To which the response was as follows:

"were those guys lottery picks because they went to Connecticut or because they were good players?"
:confused:

The thought over there seems to be Stone is likely coming to Uconn which is funny because some have it as a foregone conclusion while the general consensus here is its 50/50. I dont follow recruiting but i must admit this is quite entertaining.:D

Josh Boone taken No1 by Nets.

Reaction Score
With a player like Stone, development is probably further down his check list. Most likely, he will develop anywhere. To me, with Stone and UConn, its all about KO and his ability to relate to the kids of today. I have asked many times, how would a kid not want to play for him? Throw in a national championship, endorsements from lebron and durant, further endorsements from about 75% of the nba, his courtship from nba gm's to coach, a well documented 13 year nba career, etc. etc etc.............................in today's aau world, Kevin Ollie is a slam dunk. All in, there is no other coach in college basketball that can offer this complete of a package!!!!

With regards to guys like Stone and Mack, two high level talents who otherwise were locks to stay close to home, don't under estimate KO's ability to reach out to their respective parents. With KO, parents are comfortable knowing their sons are in good hands and will come out a better basketball player and person!!!! I am sure Stone's dad wanted Wisconsin but after a weekend with KO, he probably feels pretty good about the alternative!!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
With a player like Stone, development is probably further down his check list. Most likely, he will develop anywhere. To me, with Stone and UConn, its all about KO and his ability to relate to the kids of today. I have asked many times, how would a kid not want to play for him? Throw in a national championship, endorsements from lebron and durant, further endorsements from about 75% of the nba, his courtship from nba gm's to coach, a well documented 13 year nba career, etc. etc etc.........in today's aau world, Kevin Ollie is a slam dunk. All in, there is no other coach in college basketball that can offer this complete of a package!!!!
I hear what you're saying about KO but I respectfully disagree that development is "further down his check list" Stone should be and I'm sure is concerned about his development, how he will be used in a system, and winning.

Question? Was Stone able to scrimmage or play pick up with our guys while he visited?

Reaction Score
I hear what you're saying about KO but I respectfully disagree that development is "further down his check list" Stone should be and I'm sure is concerned about his development, how he will be used in a system, and winning.

Question? Was Stone able to scrimmage or play pick up with our guys while he visited?

I am not sure of this but I am guessing once official practice starts I doubt recruits are able to participate in any way!

Reaction Score

My point is, Stone is a good enough player that I am fairly certain he would develop at Wisconsin or UConn. Of course, its important but I doubt that if he chooses UConn, it was because he simply felt he would develop more. I think other factors will come into play here.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I am not sure of this but I am guessing once official practice starts I doubt recruits are able to participate in any way!

I'm sure he'd be able to play pick up with the guys.

Reaction Score
Travis was a top 40 recruit. Very big get at the time.

I thought maybe in the 60's-70's but not that high? Either way he did get better and better every year. Glad Pitino was awestruck but he was really good backing up Shaq and that was probably more his calling than 23M although he's much happier with that result I am sure!

Correction: good call Matrim

To land a player such as Knight, ranked 38th in analyst Bob Gibbons'

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Travis was very marginally top 100. Not even his parents had him top 40.

He was most definitely a top 100 player - top 50 by some.

Reaction Score
I don't think that one fan that was quoted represents the Badtgers fan base. I really like their team this year and to me are the team to beat for the Championship. They have an chip on thier shoulder from that lucky uk shot last season. I would also say I am glad uk won becuase the Badgers would have been more of a handful.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Travis was a big get. I remember watching the games and on multiple occasions seeing a graphic listing all of out-of-state players and where they were from -- to show that UConn now recruited on a national scale. Now we were getting guys from Sandy, UT -- not just East Lyme, CT.

Reaction Score
I've got a lot of respect for teams that are well coached, and the Badgers definitely have one of the best coaches in the NCAA.

Reaction Score
I don't think that one fan that was quoted represents the Badtgers fan base. I really like their team this year and to me are the team to beat for the Championship. They have an chip on thier shoulder from that lucky uk shot last season. I would also say I am glad uk won becuase the Badgers would have been more of a handful.
Funny you say that because at that time watching the game I was rooting for Wisconsin as were all the Uconn fans i was with. It worked out well in the end though

Reaction Score
Funny you say that because at that time watching the game I was rooting for Wisconsin as were all the Uconn fans i was with. It worked out well in the end though

There were reports of the UConn coaches celebrating when UK won that game. A fan here said Calhoun had told him in the elevator that the champ. game was in the bag.

Reaction Score
There were reports of the UConn coaches celebrating when UK won that game. A fan here said Calhoun had told him in the elevator that the champ. game was in the bag.
Wow i never heard about that story before, were people here rooting for Kentucky too? I was thinking that the athleticism especially in the post would be more of an issue then Wisconsins 3 point shooting although Kaminsky would be a matchup problem.

Reaction Score
Wow i never heard about that story before, were people here rooting for Kentucky too? I was thinking that the athleticism especially in the post would be more of an issue then Wisconsins 3 point shooting although Kaminsky would be a matchup problem.

Yeah it was said he after the game. It must have been about coaching. System vs athleticism.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I met two fans that were close with Blaney down in Texas (mike and mike I believe), they spoke to George after that UK Wisconsin game and he said exactly what @upstater mentioned above. Wisconsin was multifaceted and difficult to scheme against. UK was on dimensional.

Reaction Score
Hell no! I wanted UK BAD! It would be the most perfect end to the season beating them and it worked out exactly that way. sounds like you and all the fans you were with were a bunch of scaredy pants:p Dont you know? UK and Squid are our b!tch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom