Wins needed for 2017 at large bid | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Wins needed for 2017 at large bid

Reaction Score
Baseball America‏@BaseballAmerica 2h 2 hours ago
Conference tournaments begin today so we look at the six highest-rated conferences in the RPI that hold tournaments

2017 Conference Tournament Previews
American Athletic Conference
When: Tuesday-Sunday
Where: Spectrum Field • Clearwater, Florida
Participants: Eight teams (listed by seed)—Central Florida, Houston, Connecticut, South Florida, Tulane, Cincinnati, Memphis, East Carolina.
Format: Double-elimination.

Top Seed: Central Florida. A year after finishing last in the AAC, UCF rebounded under first-year coach Greg Lovelady, who was hired away from Wright State. UCF went 38-18 and 15-9 in conference play, to tie Houston for first place (UCF’s series win against Houston gave it the tiebreaker for the top seed). It was the Knights’ first regular season conference title since 2004, when they were still a member of the Atlantic Sun Conference. UCF led the conference with a 3.80 staff ERA, 101 stolen bases, 1.81 stolen bases per game and in runs scored. Freshman lefthander Joe Sheridan won 10 games, most in the AAC. Senior center fielder Luke Hamblin had a league-best 40 walks (.422 OBP), while freshman Rylan Thomas hit 13 homers and had 51 RBIs, just short of conference leader Jake Scheiner of Houston, who had 15 homers and 52 RBIs.

Something To Gain: Houston, South Florida, Connecticut. The Cougars and Bulls entered the final regular season weekend in a three-way tie atop the AAC, but USF lost two of three to UCF; Houston took two of three from Cincinnati to tie UCF. All three have likely assured themselves of regional bids, and all three remain in the mix to host a regional. Winning the AAC Tournament would be a big boost to their resumes. UConn’s RPI is 40 and it should be the fourth school to get a bid from the conference, but an early exit could be damaging.

Desperation Time: East Carolina. The preseason conference favorite hit on hard times this season after an 18-8 start. The Pirates missed senior ace Evan Kruczynski for six weeks because of an ankle injury and junior closer Joe Ingle was kicked off the team in April. ECU was just 7-17 in conference, but stayed above .500 and eligible for a regional berth—if it wins the AAC tournament. Kruczynski is rested and will start the opener against UCF.

All or Nothing: Tulane, Cincinnati, Memphis. The Green Wave was just 27-29 but had an RPI of 74 thanks to a 14-15 mark against top 50 RPI teams. Cincinnati is 28-28 with an RPI of 85, and while Memphis had a winning record (29-27), it was just 8-16 in conference with an RPI of 111. All three will need to win the conference’s automatic bid to extend their season.

Reaction Score
What decides what region you're put in? Is it possible for UConn to be put in the Charlottesville, Winston-Salem, or Chapel hill?

Reason is because I live in VA and if they're relatively close ill make the trip.

Reaction Score
What decides what region you're put in? Is it possible for UConn to be put in the Charlottesville, Winston-Salem, or Chapel hill?

Reason is because I live in VA and if they're relatively close ill make the trip.

Whim of selection committee based on who the Regional host end of being.

Reaction Score
D1Baseball.com - Field Of 64 Projection: May 23

Clemson SC:
1 Clemson
4 Mercer*
3 Connecticut
2 Vanderbilt

Also: UCF (2), USF (2), Houston (2)

BaseballAmerica.com Projected Field of 64 - May24

Lexington, KY:
Kentucky^
Baylor
Connecticut
Kent State*
*-Automatic bid; ^-Regional host

Last four in: Louisiana-Lafayette, Indiana, Miami, Mississippi.
First four out: Louisiana Tech, South Alabama, Missouri, Loyola Marymount.
Next four out: Florida Atlantic, South Carolina, Kansas, Charlotte

Also they have UCF hosting in Orlando (have to see if that changes), USF (2) and Houston (2).

>>Central Florida, the regular season champion in the American Athletic Conference, joins the hosting ranks but by the slimmest of margins. The Knights lost their first game of the AAC Tournament, an inauspicious start in Clearwater, Fla., and they will have to bounce back quickly to keep their hosting hopes alive. South Florida or Houston could supplant UCF if they win the AAC Tournament, as well as Arizona out of the Pac-12 or Oklahoma in the Big 12 Conference.<<

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Great win yesterday. Seems like most prognosticators have us already in with an At Large Bid. I would feel much more comfortable , if we can get at least one more win. Penders looks like a genius now, with having his top 3 starters still available. Things looking good, but with this team ( and baseball in general ) you never know.

current record.. season goal

14- 10 .583% .... 14 - 10 / .583 % - AAC regular season
1 - 0 / 1.000% .... 2 - 2 / .500 - AAC tourney

8- 4/ .667% ... 12 - 4 / .750 - New England games
8-8 / .500 .... 10 - 6 / .625 - Other games

Post season Criteria
(1) 32 - 23/ .582..... 38-22 / .633 - Overall record

(2) 36.... <51- RPI

(3) tied 3rd .....Top 4 AAC

CHART Code
red = below goal
green = at or above goal
black = not yet applicable

Reaction Score
That regional looks tasty. Neither UK nor Baylor are particularly good.
I would much rather have the Clemson regional. Neither Clemson or Vandy are very good against top 50 RPI teams (Clemson 9-13/ Vandy 12-13). Compare them to Kentucky with a record of 18-13 and Baylor at 13-11.

Reaction Score
Here's the RPI from #30 thru #50 (so the teams that are the "competition" on the at-large bubble... just in case you want to know who to root for/against in other conference tournaments. I'm all for any of the 'highest RPI teams in their conference' teams to win out to keep the bubble less crowded.

30 Indiana
31 North Carolina State
32 Maryland
33 South Carolina
34 McNeese State (2nd highest RPI in Southland Conf)
35 Ole Miss
36 Connecticut
37 South Alabama (highest RPI in Sun Belt)
38 Saint John's (highest RPI in Big East)

39 Louisiana Tech
40 Cal State Fullerton
41 Auburn
42 Nebraska
43 Texas A&M
44 Old Dominion
45 Binghamton (highest RPI in America East)
46 FGCU
(highest RPI in Atlantic Sun)
47 Miami (FL)
48 Missouri
49 Coastal Carolina
50 Louisiana-Lafayette

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Safely in now as a probable #3 seed. Doubt we can move up to a #2 anyway, so we are playing tomorrow with house money

Reaction Score
Safely in now as a probable #3 seed. Doubt we can move up to a #2 anyway, so we are playing tomorrow with house money
Hope you're right. I think 1 win tomorrow secures it, a loss and ECU could bump us out if they win it all.

Reaction Score
Nice come from behind win today. It was a much needed win. I think we are in. But if ECU wins AAC tourney and we have some upsets in other conference tourneys, we could possibly be left out. Don't think that is going to happen, but if we get a minimum of 1 more win it would make me less anxious.

Would like to thank the posters below for keeping me ( and many others) updated today. While I am at work, you are the only way I stay updated. THANK YOU

dbmill
huskymedic
baseballguy
ATLDYKA
hardcorehusky
uconnbaseball
SAMCRO

I know there are others that post great info during the year, and I did not forget you. Just wanted to give a shout-out for the work done today.

Go Huskies

2 - 1 / .667% .... 2 - 2 / .500 - AAC tourney

Post season Criteria
(1) 33 - 24/ .579..... 38-22 / .633 - Overall record

(2) 38.... <51- RPI

CHART Code
red = below goal
green = at or above goal

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Thank you UCJOET for the fine work on figuring out what it takes to get to the NCAA tournament. Thank you to everyone else on this board for talking UCONN baseball. I followed them as a kid in Omaha(on the radio) and speak with Coach Penders every year and got to 4 home games this year. I truly believe this program is about to take off with the new facilities. I don't want to make this a postmortem on the 2017 season- we have a conference tournament to win and then a ride into the NCAA's.

Nice come from behind win today. It was a much needed win. I think we are in. But if ECU wins AAC tourney and we have some upsets in other conference tourneys, we could possibly be left out. Don't think that is going to happen, but if we get a minimum of 1 more win it would make me less anxious.

Would like to thank the posters below for keeping me ( and many others) updated today. While I am at work, you are the only way I stay updated. THANK YOU

dbmill
huskymedic
baseballguy
ATLDYKA
hardcorehusky
uconnbaseball
SAMCRO

I know there are others that post great info during the year, and I did not forget you. Just wanted to give a shout-out for the work done today.

Go Huskies

2 - 1 / .667% .... 2 - 2 / .500 - AAC tourney

Post season Criteria
(1) 33 - 24/ .579..... 38-22 / .633 - Overall record

(2) 38.... <51- RPI

CHART Code
red = below goal
green = at or above goal

Reaction Score
Thank you UCJOET for the fine work on figuring out what it takes to get to the NCAA tournament. Thank you to everyone else on this board for talking UConn baseball. I followed them as a kid in Omaha(on the radio) and speak with Coach Penders every year and got to 4 home games this year. I truly believe this program is about to take off with the new facilities. I don't want to make this a postmortem on the 2017 season- we have a conference tournament to win and then a ride into the NCAA's.
Thank you UCJOET for all the updated stats. Much appreciated.

Reaction Score
St. John's (#20) is playing out of the losers bracket.m in the BE tourney. They play Creighton (RPI 169) in an elimination game today. The winner of that needs to be Xavier (RPI #84) twice. St. John's is pretty certain of getting an at-large bid if they lose, so Creighton or Xavier would bump someone to the wrong side of the bubble. Let's go Johnnies.

Reaction Score
As of 10 minutes ago D1 posted a Bubble Watch article. They have UConn securely in for an at-large.

From the article:
>>First off there are some teams that are very secure in their status. These would project as No. 1 and No. 2 seeds with five left over who would be No. 3 seeds. These 37 teams should all be in the field Oregon State, North Carolina, Texas Tech, Florida, Louisville, TCU, LSU, Stanford, Kentucky, Southern Miss, Wake Forest, Virginia, Long Beach State, Arkansas, Clemson, Arizona, Oklahoma, Missouri State, West Virginia, Baylor, Mississippi State, Nebraska, SE Louisiana, Vanderbilt, Michigan, St. John’s, Cal State Fullerton, Auburn, NC State, Florida State, Indiana, Texas Old Dominion, Houston, UConn, UCF, USF and UCLA.<<

>> The following teams would be considered on the bubble for at-large bids. Some of these are still in contention for automatic bids. We have 15 teams: Coastal Carolina, Florida Atlantic, Florida Gulf Coast, Gonzaga, Kansas, Louisiana Tech, Louisiana-Lafayette, Loyola Marymount, Maryland, Miami, McNeese State, Ole Miss, South Alabama, South Carolina and Texas A&M. Somewhere between seven to nine of these 15 teams will see their names in the brackets announced Monday which means at least nine of these teams seasons will not extend past this weekend.<<

The consensus from all I've seen, read and heard - alot of bad/strange things (besides today's game) needs to happen to keep UConn out.

Reaction Score
Well, this is the last update of the year. From everything we are hearing, it seems like we are in. We did OK in meeting my unscientific goals below . Would have been nice to win a few more games in the New England and Other Game categories. Think we left some opportunities behind.

Would be surprised if we don't get in, but crazier things have happened. Hoping ECU loses today, that would make me more comfortable. If we get in and maybe get a favorable Regional, you never know what can happen.

Thanks to everyone who posts great more detail then I. You guys make following team very enjoyable.

GO Huskies

2 - 2 / .500% .... 2 - 2 / .500 - AAC tourney

Post season Criteria
(1) 33 - 25/ .568..... 38-22 / .633 - Overall record

(2) 38.... <51- RPI

CHART Code
red = below goal
green = at or above goal

Reaction Score
Well, this is the last update of the year. From everything we are hearing, it seems like we are in. We did OK in meeting my unscientific goals below . Would have been nice to win a few more games in the New England and Other Game categories. Think we left some opportunities behind.

Would be surprised if we don't get in, but crazier things have happened. Hoping ECU loses today, that would make me more comfortable. If we get in and maybe get a favorable Regional, you never know what can happen.

Thanks to everyone who posts great more detail then I. You guys make following team very enjoyable.

GO Huskies

2 - 2 / .500% .... 2 - 2 / .500 - AAC tourney

Post season Criteria
(1) 33 - 25/ .568..... 38-22 / .633 - Overall record

(2) 38.... <51- RPI

CHART Code
red = below goal
green = at or above goal
I heard yesterday during the broadcast it would be Clemson. But who knows?

Reaction Score
I heard yesterday during the broadcast it would be Clemson. But who knows?
Normally I would be salavating at the thought of us going to Clemson as it is just down the road. However the family has had a trip planned to Anaheim, CA next week. Now I am hoping for them to get placed in Long Beach and hope I can talk the wife into letting me slip away for a day to catch a game. One can dream right.

Reaction Score
Normally I would be salavating at the thought of us going to Clemson as it is just down the road. However the family has had a trip planned to Anaheim, CA next week. Now I am hoping for them to get placed in Long Beach and hope I can talk the wife into letting me slip away for a day to catch a game. One can dream right.

We'll write you a permission slip if it happens...

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I like reading the prognosticators having us firmly in but I would be far more comfortable with our current position if we did a better job of taking care of business during mid-week non-contentious games.

I still see five AAC schools in the tourney as a stretch and three schools (Houston, UCF, USF) have clearly better resumes. If ECU gets the auto-bid we may be done for the year. If ECU wins today I hope to he'll I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
I like reading the prognosticators having us firmly in but I would be far more comfortable with our current position if we did a better job of taking care of business during mid-week non-contentious games.

I still see five AAC schools in the tourney as a stretch and three schools (Houston, UCF, USF) have clearly better resumes. If ECU gets the auto-bid we may be done for the year. If ECU wins today I hope to he'll I'm wrong.

One positive thing for UConn is that the AAC has a much better baseball profile and reputation than it does in other sports. Five teams making it from the AAC may be a stretch, but it is certainly possible.

Reaction Score
One positive thing for UConn is that the AAC has a much better baseball profile and reputation than it does in other sports. Five teams making it from the AAC may be a stretch, but it is certainly possible.

It's more than possible....it's likely. The Big Ten (#7 in RPI) is projected to get 5 teams with Iowa/Northwestern stealing a bid.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom