Will we be victimized again. This time by TV deal. | The Boneyard

Will we be victimized again. This time by TV deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I would invite anyone(lawyers,businessmen etc.) who post here who have knowledge of contract law and anything related to this story to enlighten us on the actual or potential impact. Obviously we are not privy to private negotiations by Herbst and Manual directed at positioning us in the best possible way for the long haul. This "seems" to restrict their options rather severely at least for the immediate future.

Everybody stay put or the deal is off!!!

GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
I would invite anyone(lawyers,businessmen etc.) who post here who have knowledge of contract law and anything related to this story to enlighten us on the actual or potential impact. Obviously we are not privy to private negotiations by Herbst and Manual directed at positioning us in the best possible way for the long haul. This "seems" to restrict their options rather severely at least for the immediate future.

Everybody stay put or the deal is off!!!

GO HUSKIES!!!
How so? If we leave the conference whether ESPN does or does not exercise it's option to terminate is just not our problem

Reaction Score
Biz,
Since he was asking for your services, did you bill him your standard rate?

Reaction Score
How does this restrict our options? The opt-out clause protects the network in case the few teams that are actually worth anything leave the conference.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The membership clause has been standard in these contracts. The fact that they identified specific schools is new. Nothing to really worry about.

The part I am concerned about is the apparent equivalence of broadcast, cable and digital platform exposure.

All/most of the conference controlled games will be on as described above. If there is not further language to break it down for each outlet, then ESPN has the ability to put all the games of ESPN3.

That would mean no money and no exposure. I also didn't like Aresco's statement that we wouldn't be playing on Monday or Tuesday nights. Maybe I am being paranoid, but that leaves the window open for a bunch of Wednesday night or other weeknight games.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
The membership clause has been standard in these contracts. The fact that they identified specific schools is new. Nothing to really worry about.

The part I am concerned about is the apparent equivalence of broadcast, cable and digital platform exposure.

All/most of the conference controlled games will be on as described above. If there is not further language to break it down for each outlet, then ESPN has the ability to put all the games of ESPN3.

That would mean no money and no exposure. I also didn't like Aresco's statement that we wouldn't be playing on Monday or Tuesday nights. Maybe I am being paranoid, but that leaves the window open for a bunch of Wednesday night or other weeknight games.

If you go to the realignment board, you'll see this issue addressed in greater detail. There. Aresco states absolutely that all the football games will be shown on ESPN networks other than ESPN3. He says a large majority of the basketball games will also be shown on those networks outside ESPN3.

It's hard to know whether he erred in leaving off ESPN3 from the list (he mentioned ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU) but that's what he said.

From reading the more extensive article, I'm guessing that ESPNU should probably be renamed the America12 channel.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
ESPN would be out of its mind to void the deal unless half the schools left. They are paying peanuts for a ton of decent content because Tranghese inexplicably gave ESPN a right of first refusal 10 years ago.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If you go to the realignment board, you'll see this issue addressed in greater detail. There. Aresco states absolutely that all the football games will be shown on ESPN networks other than ESPN3. He says a large majority of the basketball games will also be shown on those networks outside ESPN3.

It's hard to know whether he erred in leaving off ESPN3 from the list (he mentioned ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU) but that's what he said.

From reading the more extensive article, I'm guessing that ESPNU should probably be renamed the America12 channel.

I hope you're right. The ESPN article specifically mentioned digital platforms. The fine print is key.

Reaction Score
I hope you're right. The ESPN article specifically mentioned digital platforms. The fine print is key.

Digital platforms for women's sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member