Will Jackson Commits To UConn!!!!!! | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Will Jackson Commits To UConn!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
A lot of JC haters were jealous of his success, also he wasn't always press friendly and always sticking up for his players when they were attacked as he should. KO will do the same thing but he's not as confrontational . Last night they were going after the coaches on ESPN game for acting out with the refs. Hey it's heat of the battle.
It's a part of the game. JC effected the way many games were called, typically to our benefit.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
That's no problem - your ignorance and abrasiveness can keep the doubt company, because they're not going anywhere either.

Son, when Frank Ivy tells you you're an @55H0!e, it's time for some serious introspection.
Love this post on so many levels. You are at your best when you interject humor with your opinions. Your statements can be overly opinionated and come across as inflexible. Nothing wrong with that but it does irritate most people. It's really nice to see you made the change to be less confrontational. Not many can do it. Bigger change will come when you let your gift, your intelligence, be more compassionate and flexible.

A couple of posters (@walker11 and @CAHUSKY and @CL82) did not catch the reference someone made implying you are Frank Ivy.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I just want Ollie to recruit a five-star big man.

I don't care if the kid prays to toasters, just get me some rebounds.
Why limit it to recruiting? I want KO to get the five star big man he's recruiting. I don't want to see UConn revisit the donut moniker it had for years under JC.

CL82

Reaction Score
I just want Ollie to recruit a five-star big man.

I don't care if the kid prays to toasters, just get me some rebounds.

tumblr_m2a0t4Glha1r6hffko1_500.jpg
Your lack of faith is disappointing to "he who warms the bread."
Expect some burnt toast until you mend your ways.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
http://the-boneyard.com/threads/lol-7-points.51793/#post-830506

I thought it better to let these guys remain in ignorance.
LOL!! I was too lazy to see who posted that. Personally I'm really impressed with Strummer because he has, at the very least, figured out a way to be less contentious. I've always felt he had a sharp mind even when I didn't agree with him. When any of us do things to improve our relationship with others it is beneficial. Most of us don't realize that changing our approach to one another doesn't mean we have to compromise our principals.

CL82

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Could you elaborate a little more for those of us who didn't see the show. Was KO brought into the discussion for the double technical?
No it was during a game last night on ESPN 1 or 2 can't recall where the announcers went off on the coaches who were going nuts, but no technicals were called and they were way further out of line than KO was for the double, but that second call was crazy. KO has to show emotion and get called from time to time.

Reaction Score
This is a great pick up. But I have to say, Jackson has the most boring youtube videos of any recruit I can remember. Now this isn't necessarily a bad thing as he looks like a very solid player all around and we have seen tons of all hype videos covering a full year of randomness as opposed to Jackson's videos which appear to all come from individual games. But there's nothing in those videos that blows me away, just lots of really solid, fundamentally sound play. A lot of reports say he is a really good athlete, but that doesn't really show in the vids. Either way, I really like that he's coming along.

Reaction Score
Could you elaborate a little more for those of us who didn't see the show. Was KO brought into the discussion for the double technical?

It was Tirico who was ranting, mostly about the behavior of coaches in the Big 10. He called their antics "childish". He seemed to be mostly referring to McCaffery, the Iowa coach.

Reaction Score
This is a great pick up. But I have to say, Jackson has the most boring youtube videos of any recruit I can remember. Now this isn't necessarily a bad thing as he looks like a very solid player all around and we have seen tons of all hype videos covering a full year of randomness as opposed to Jackson's videos which appear to all come from individual games. But there's nothing in those videos that blows me away, just lots of really solid, fundamentally sound play. A lot of reports say he is a really good athlete, but that doesn't really show in the vids. Either way, I really like that he's coming along.

It is boring but that's okay because actually in way so is DHam's and you know why? Because we like dunks and whacky crap too much instead of watching a real solid all around basketball player lay it up, be creative and stuff like that…….love this kids game too….big guard will only get better and more mature by the time he is here. great get

caw

Reaction Score

Go watch Prince Ali's if you want excitement. Lol

Reaction Score
It is boring but that's okay because actually in way so is DHam's and you know why? Because we like dunks and whacky crap too much instead of watching a real solid all around basketball player lay it up, be creative and stuff like that…….love this kids game too….big guard will only get better and more mature by the time he is here. great get

Oh I agree... Prince Ali's is over the top. I think I like that they are simple videos of a really solid basketball player. The only thing that took me a back a tiny bit is he didn't look overly athletic. But of course they were videos from 1-2 years ago so they are not a true indicator.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Oh I agree... Prince Ali's is over the top. I think I like that they are simple videos of a really solid basketball player. The only thing that took me a back a tiny bit is he didn't look overly athletic. But of course they were videos from 1-2 years ago so they are not a true indicator.
I thought it was a video of this season. I would expect him to be somewhat cautious after a knee injury. Outside of the power dunks, he has a terrific handle, can shoot well and distributes well. Sounds like a bigger version of Bazz at the least.:)

Reaction Score
I thought it was a video of this season. I would expect him to be somewhat cautious after a knee injury. Outside of the power dunks, he has a terrific handle, can shoot well and distributes well. Sounds like a bigger version of Bazz at the least.:)

There's a few videos on youtube from a few seasons. He looks virtually the same in all of the them. Good handle, decent shot (his form could use a little work; it looked like he shoots from the chest) and good court vision. Definitely a great pick up!

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but I get as kick out of the I'm not religious line, so I'll chime in with the so called religious minority point of view since it's not that prevalent here in New England. I love that KO is a high character man who loves Jesus and people. I actually hate the term religious. Ollie is not some grandmama who drives her Buick to church every Sunday and defines himself as a clean living, no drinking, no whatever churchian. He lives every day to honor the God that has given him so much by being a devoted husband, dad, coach, friend and representative of the kingdom of God in whatever way he can.

I'm sure I'm coming across preachy here, but I just feel people cheapen Ollie's faith and have little to no understanding of what he believes and how he lives his life by dropping the religious line.

I'm psyched that he is attracting quality kids who love Jesus. I'll be just as excited when he recruits Jewish, Muslim and non-religious kids who are quality kids. For what it's worth, JC recruited his share of similar kids. Jake and Jeremy were two who came from Christian homes and we're open with their faith.

KO's ability to attract talented players because of his character, faith and the fact that he's a good coach offsets the conference issues and the post-JC impact. As much as I like talented players, I love rooting for talented kids who are quality young men. I don't mind having some kids that have an edge and some attitude to them. It's good to have different personalities. Though I don't like punk kids. That I can do without. I think UConn under Ollie is going to cast a new image that will not only carry the out-will you, out-tough you and out-work you tradition we've all witnessed under Calhoun, but will also be a very likable team on a national level. I'm not saying the program wasn't liked by many, but JC and the program had its share of haters.

KO seems to be well respected and liked and it seems the team will begin to, and seem to already, take on his personality.

Okay, I'm done.
Amen Brother!

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
"I'm sure I'm coming across preachy here, but I just feel people cheapen Ollie's faith and have little to no understanding of what he believes and how he lives his life by dropping the religious line

KO's ability to attract talented players because of his character, faith and the fact that he's a good coach offsets the conference issues and the post-JC impact. As much as I like talented players, I love rooting for talented kids who are quality young men. I don't mind having some kids that have an edge and some attitude to them. It's good to have different personalities. Though I don't like punk kids. That I can do without. I think UConn under Ollie is going to cast a new image that will not only carry the out-will you, out-tough you and out-work you tradition we've all witnessed under Calhoun, but will also be a very likable team on a national level. I'm not saying the program wasn't liked by many, but JC and the program had its share of haters."

I agree with all you say about character and I love recruiting character kids and that KO is so principled. But, if I'd stated I'm not religious (I'm not) it would be to explain me, not to demean KO's faith. I admire people's faith, I just don't have it and can't fake it.
On a lighter note, I took me a second read to be sure which JC you meant in your post.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm sure I'm coming across preachy here, but I just feel people cheapen Ollie's faith and have little to no understanding of what he believes and how he lives his life by dropping the religious line

KO's ability to attract talented players because of his character, faith and the fact that he's a good coach offsets the conference issues and the post-JC impact. As much as I like talented players, I love rooting for talented kids who are quality young men. I don't mind having some kids that have an edge and some attitude to them. It's good to have different personalities. Though I don't like punk kids. That I can do without. I think UConn under Ollie is going to cast a new image that will not only carry the out-will you, out-tough you and out-work you tradition we've all witnessed under Calhoun, but will also be a very likable team on a national level. I'm not saying the program wasn't liked by many, but JC and the program had its share of haters.

I agree with all you say about character and I love recruiting character kids and that KO is so principled. But, if I'd stated I'm not religious (I'm not) it would be to explain me, not to demean KO's faith. I admire people's faith, I just don't have it and can't fake it.
On a lighter note, I took me a second read to be sure which JC you meant in your post.

I don't see the change you're talking about.

If you go back into the past, you see kids who were ripped in the past by other fans nationally, and here I'm talking about Khalid El-amin, AJ Price, Marcus Williams, etc., even Thabeet. Or Jeff Adrien. All were quality kids. I don't know much about Adrien's family, but we know that the first 3 came from tight families. I remember an article from a Pittsburgh paper in 1999 that said that, although UConn won the game, the game was not won by student athletes. And why? Because UConn's upperclassmen were black compared to Duke's? Is that why? That Duke team had several players go pro or leave Duke and never get a degree: Chris Burgess, Corey Maggette, Will Avery, Elton Brand, etc. Whereas UConn had seniors like Ricky Moore, Rashamel Jones, and a bunch of other solid kids. For all we know, they got their degrees. No one other than Rip Hamilton (a junior) left early that year. So why the perception?

This is a racial thing for many reporters and onlookers.

I just don't see the difference between Daniel Hamilton, Sam Cassell Jr., Rodney Purvis, and the players from the past.

Reaction Score
back court would be getting crowded. for '15 we would have cassel Jr, purvis, samuel, ali, and now jackson. Although they are all big guards so I guess it wouldn't be a stretch to throw hamilton into that group and pick any 3 to throw on the court at any time.
The newspaper accounts posted have Jackson as a sophomore in high school. That would make him a Class of 16 by my calculation.???

Reaction Score
I don't see the change you're talking about.

If you go back into the past, you see kids who were ripped in the past by other fans nationally, and here I'm talking about Khalid El-amin, AJ Price, Marcus Williams, etc., even Thabeet. Or Jeff Adrien. All were quality kids. I don't know much about Adrien's family, but we know that the first 3 came from tight families. I remember an article from a Pittsburgh paper in 1999 that said that, although UConn won the game, the game was not won by student athletes. And why? Because UConn's upperclassmen were black compared to Duke's? Is that why? That Duke team had several players go pro or leave Duke and never get a degree: Chris Burgess, Corey Maggette, Will Avery, Elton Brand, etc. Whereas UConn had seniors like Ricky Moore, Rashamel Jones, and a bunch of other solid kids. For all we know, they got their degrees. No one other than Rip Hamilton (a junior) left early that year. So why the perception?

This is a racial thing for many reporters and onlookers.

I just don't see the difference between Daniel Hamilton, Sam Cassell Jr., Rodney Purvis, and the players from the past.
We've had great kids for a long time, and sometimes kids from great families who didn't always live up to their families. I don't think the religious aspect makes them better kids at all.

But, I assume people are talking about kids like Doug Wrenn, Antonio Kellogg, and (although he never played) Nate Miles when they make such generalizations.

That said, give me Caron Butler. His "lack of a good family" and troubled background didn't make him any less of a great human being.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom