Why Seattle Won't Trade #1 Draft Pick | The Boneyard

Why Seattle Won't Trade #1 Draft Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So Howard Megdal (??) doesn't think Seattle would trade their #1 pick for Griner, Della Donne or Moore....

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
So Howard Megdal (??) doesn't think Seattle would trade their #1 pick for Griner, Della Donne or Moore....

With Sue Bird nearing the end of her career and Lauren Jackson likely never returning, the franchise is getting a lot younger. Loyd and KML were the first pieces; Stewart will be the next piece (similar to Seattle drafting Jackson in 2001, then Bird in 2002).

Stewart, Loyd, and KML will all be on their rookie contracts. Because they all were/will be taken among the first four players in the WNBA Draft, they will earn approximately between $48,000 and $50,000 for their first year two years, approximately $55,000 in their third years, and approximately $62,000 in their fourth years. Moore is outside of her rookie salary scale and is earning the max (approximately $107,500 - $110,000). Delle Donne and Griner are in their respective final years of their rookie deals and will be commanding maximum salaries for 2017.

Basically, Seattle gets Stewart and Loyd for the price of one mid-career star. It makes sense to build up your young players as part of your core, then adding All Stars and near-all Stars around them at a lower cost, while maintaining salary cap flexibility.

Plus, with trades, you need a willing partner. Minnesota's core is older; Moore is the youngest in that group. Chicago traded Fowles last year, its previous big star; cannot see the team rebuilding by trading its second star in two years (and the reigning MVP and the focus of the team's entire marketing efforts). Phoenix also has an older core with Taurasi, Taylor, and Dupree; Griner is the youngest and the future.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Griner scares me because of her personal baggage (e.g. Glory Johnson incident and aftermath)
Delle Donne is about 5 years older than Stewart and has her chronic lyme to deal with. She is GREAT but...she does seem to wear down as seasons go on and you never really know when a flare-up could take her out even if she is managing it diligently.

Maya is the only player I would take straight-up for Stewart, personally. But no way that offer will ever be on the table.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Griner scares me because of her personal baggage (e.g. Glory Johnson incident and aftermath)
Delle Donne is about 5 years older than Stewart and has her chronic lyme to deal with. She is GREAT but...she does seem to wear down as seasons go on and you never really know when a flare-up could take her out even if she is managing it diligently.

Maya is the only player I would take straight-up for Stewart, personally. But no way that offer will ever be on the table.

Just curious how you think Griner's "baggage" is going to affect her WNBA career. Are you expecting her to track Glory down and beat her up? She is no longer with Glory, right?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Just curious how you think Griner's "baggage" is going to affect her WNBA career. Are you expecting her to track Glory down and beat her up? She is no longer with Glory, right?

It's going to affect her WNBA career if she gets arrested for another domestic disturbance and gets hit with another suspension. Also, my opinion is that going through with the marriage soon after that exhibited poor judgment.

I guess I was a little inexact with my language. It's not the baggage that bothers me (although that might hurt from a PR/marketing standpoint), it's what that saga implies about her temperament and decision-making.

Reaction Score
This is the kind of 'news' ya get before the games start. I imagine it went something like this.....

Hey chief what's today's assignment?

We got nothing Howard, your on your own. I'm sure you'll come up with something.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
Still think Howard is off the mark with the Morgan Tuck pick at #4. Obviously great player, but not worth risk she can only play 1-2 years when other terrific players are still on the board. Wait until you guys see Jonquel Jones of GW play. Not to mention other guards still available such as Mitchell, who is a true gamer. She brings it on when there is pressure or the game is on the line.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
This is the kind of 'news' ya get before the games start. I imagine it went something like this.....

Hey chief what's today's assignment?

We got nothing Howard, your on your own. I'm sure you'll come up with something.

Well, he's been writing this mock draft column weekly, which makes sense. Adjust your projections based on the latest performances of the players in question. But he has to gin up something for the lead-in every week. Not easy.

Reaction Score
The Punch, breaking her wrist skateboarding, the DOM, the marriage, the child...there is a long list of poor decisions over an extended period of time that make her a risk, no matter how you look at it.

We all make mistakes, but when you are in a position like she is in and a company (team) is looking to make a serious investment in you, risk management demands that you think twice. After all, this isn't the NBA...right?

:confused:

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score

How about Griner, Taurasi and the Mercury's 1st round pick next year?

Reaction Score
How about Griner, Taurasi and the Mercury's 1st round pick next year?
Taurasi is on the backside of her career, but still a MAJOR force with a few more miles under the hood, and LOTS of experience to pass on. Griner is young, but impetuous, and being rail-thin and tall you can expect a breakdown earlier than for a guard. They'll be potent through the end of Griner's rookie contract, at least.

No dice; I ain't buyin'.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
It's going to affect her WNBA career if she gets arrested for another domestic disturbance and gets hit with another suspension. Also, my opinion is that going through with the marriage soon after that exhibited poor judgment.

I guess I was a little inexact with my language. It's not the baggage that bothers me (although that might hurt from a PR/marketing standpoint), it's what that saga implies about her temperament and decision-making.

Talk about poor judgement, Glory Johnson should never be allowed to play in the WNBA again on two counts.
1. Going to Tennessee
2. Marrying Griner

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The Punch, breaking her wrist skateboarding, the DOM, the marriage, the child...there is a long list of poor decisions over an extended period of time that make her a risk, no matter how you look at it.

We all make mistakes, but when you are in a position like she is in and a company (team) is looking to make a serious investment in you, risk management demands that you think twice. After all, this isn't the NBA...right?

:confused:

You blame a lot of things on Griner, but getting Glory pregnant is one that I am pretty sure you cannot blame on her.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Talk about poor judgement, Glory Johnson should never be allowed to play in the WNBA again on two counts.
1. Going to Tennessee
2. Marrying Griner

There was a whole lot of poor judgment from all parties in that saga.

Reaction Score
I'm definitely going to the June 18 Phoenix-Dallas game, just in case!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Don't think CT Sun trade the #3 & #4 picks to get the 2nd pick. Too much value with the 3rd and 4th pick. Now if they could trade the 3rd pick and a 2nd round pick they might do that.

Surely you jest. The Sun would make that trade in a second. Then again, they are the Sun.

Reaction Score
I don't think the Sun should even be considering giving up #3 and #4 for just #2, that's just way too much to give up. I think it would be smart to just keep both and take two out of Tuck (if she leaves), Jones, Williams, Mitchell, and Banham.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Diggins just got an extension so she's not going anywhere LINK

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't think the Sun should even be considering giving up #3 and #4 for just #2, that's just way too much to give up.

The thing is MoJeff is a star. After her are serviceable players. You need stars to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom