Why not UConn to Big XII? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why not UConn to Big XII?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can you do it with a straw hat and a banjo and put it on youtube? Please?

Nope. I play the spoons and wear an old fedora here on Mt. Braden, between the milky way and the sourwood tree.

If you want to hear a banjo...just listen to Steve Martin do his claw hammer styling.

Reaction Score
The B12 will be motivated by what their TV partners tell them about value. If they want a network, they'll favor big-market schools like UConn over better football programs located a bit closer.

I don't see how a Big 12 network ever comes about unless someone convinces Texas to give up the LHN and the $15 million dollar a year guaranteed payment from ESPN.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I don't see how a Big 12 network ever comes about unless someone convinces Texas to give up the LHN and the $15 million dollar a year guaranteed payment from ESPN.
I've read recently that potentially both could coexist with some minor modifications.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Big 12 expanding is UConn's latest worst case scenario.

Reaction Score
I see two scenarios, both not good for UCONN:
1) The Big12 implodes and the ACC and BiG pick off the plums -UT, OK, Kansas, etc. Maybe UT goes PAC. Who knows? At that point the ACC and Big get filled and there is potentially no room for UCONN.
2) The Big12 expands grabbing the likes of BYU, UCF, Cincy, again, who knows, and putting UCONN on even more of an island.

The scenario where the Big12 poaches ACC teams is great for UCONN, but I don't see that as likely at all. I read somewhere that Nebraska was unhappy in the BiG and might welcome a chance to go back home. I think pigs flying is a more likely scenario than that.

If the Big12 were the only option for UCONN then we would take the opportunity for the money, but it is a terrible fit for both. I keep hoping upon hope that the plan is in place to land in the BiG or ACC due to the share logic of it, but there has been little about CR that has been all that logical.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I guess if you squint after the Big 12 taking 2 AAC schools...

If the Big East was open to UConn joining (which I would imagine really means Fox would force UConn on the Big East):

The AAC would be in such a bad spot they might let UConn play as a football only or maybe you could convince the MAC to take UConn and UMass as football onlies.

At the very least you could play chicken with the AAC on football because there would be nothing to lose. What are they going to do - their options are as limited as UConn's and they clearly were hellbent on 12.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Really, it's the ACC GOR that hurts UConn the most. Reduces the chances of them getting raided and needing to backfill, which was by far our most likely route to P5.

Reaction Score
There is simply no way the Big 12 grabs 2 AAC schools while everything else in realignment remains static. So far, we have heard the Cincy President cry for help. We now hear rumblings from Memphis and UCF. Yet, UConn remains quiet and poised. Instead, UConn invests in numerous resources that over time completely enhances our resume. Go figure. Once again you can listen to the noise created by people not in the know or you can interpret UConn's actions as a sign that their future will be far better than their present. I choose not to buy into this world is out to screw UConn at all costs attitude. For one, if realignment taught us anything, UConn isn't that important. I have no clue if I will be right, but I do know that if I am not, than guys like Nelson are. This idea that UConn will get screwed but we should invest anyway is far more silly than either extreme. Pick a side.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Really, it's the ACC GOR that hurts UConn the most. Reduces the chances of them getting raided and needing to backfill, which was by far our most likely route to P5.
Yes. The ACC GOR was the door slam in the face. That meant the ACC was a minimum of ten years out for us. Our new best chance is if the Big XII implodes and teams flee for other conferences, like say the B1G, we may have a chance to be a part of the action.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Why would it be silly that the next move might only be a two AAC school Big 12 expansion?

Nobody else is available and they may be the only league that has a need.

Reaction Score
Why would it be silly that the next move might only be a two AAC school Big 12 expansion? Nobody else is available and they may be the only league that has a need.
Nobody? Brigham Young might come back to life, and argue BYU's likely available and enables significant exposure to big pockets of eyes in minimally 2 new Big XII+whatever time zones. That's not a suggestion BYU is a better CR candidate than UCONN, but the Cougars most definitely are not a nobody.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There is simply no way the Big 12 grabs 2 AAC schools while everything else in realignment remains static. So far, we have heard the Cincy President cry for help. We now hear rumblings from Memphis and UCF. Yet, UConn remains quiet and poised. Instead, UConn invests in numerous resources that over time completely enhances our resume. Go figure. Once again you can listen to the noise created by people not in the know or you can interpret UConn's actions as a sign that their future will be far better than their present. I choose not to buy into this world is out to screw UConn at all costs attitude. For one, if realignment taught us anything, UConn isn't that important. I have no clue if I will be right, but I do know that if I am not, than guys like Nelson are. This idea that UConn will get screwed but we should invest anyway is far more silly than either extreme. Pick a side.
Because that poised silence worked out so well for us as we watched the Louisville get the last ACC bid.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Nobody? Brigham Young might come back to life, and argue BYU's likely available and enables significant exposure to big pockets of eyes in minimally 2 new Big XII+whatever time zones. That's not a suggestion BYU is a better CR candidate than UCONN, but the Cougars most definitely are not a nobody.

Yeah I guess it could be BYU and an AAC team - that doesn't change that it's pretty unlikely to cause any casade of changes in the ACC or Big Ten.

Reaction Score
BYU and UConn are the two most valuable schools available. That doesn't mean that the Big 12 will take the two most valuable programs. However, I think we are a dark horse here. Negativity perceived by Big 12 fan bases regarding UConn's football program can be quickly mitigated in a press conference in which they are told the two most valuable schools available were added to the conference.

I have a hard time believing UCF has value. They don't have any fans and even in the Big 12, I just don't see it. Florida and FSU dominate Florida and Miami still has a lot of fans. USF had some decent years and highly hyped teams and no one cared. UCF will face the same struggles everyone else does without O'Leary. He'd win anywhere.

While I'd bet on Cincy and UCF as the additions, I base that only on popular beliefs of others and frankly, they aren't considering market value or compelling programming in their assessment.

Regardless, I don't think UConn is a long shot for the Big Ten. I think we are going there and I don't think it is going to be any more than 2 years until we find out. Too many clues. My big fear is what the plan is and whether or not we can survive the wait if the Big 12 takes valuable AAC teams very soon. We really need a strong football season this year. It would do wonders for public perception at a critical time. In the last go round we peaked too early.

pj

Reaction Score
If the Big12 were the only option for UCONN then we would take the opportunity for the money, but it is a terrible fit for both. I keep hoping upon hope that the plan is in place to land in the BiG or ACC due to the share logic of it, but there has been little about CR that has been all that logical.

I don't get the terrible fit. It's a geographically distant fit. But with the ACC extending from Florida to Boston to Chicago and western Kentucky, the Pac from LA to Seattle to Denver, the B1G from Nebraska to New Jersey, it's not a big deal for the B12 to extend from Texas to New England. I used to commute between Boston and Austin TX and it was an easy flight.

Apart from geography, UConn is Kansas with bigger markets. And no one would say that Kansas doesn't belong in the B12. Markets are the big thing in realignment now that the B1G and SEC have shown they can be monetized.

Finally, UConn is a state flagship, also something valuable for cable networks. No other B12 candidate from the AAC or BYU can say that.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If I ever end up on trial - I hope you guys that think there is evidence that UConn is headed to the Big Ten anytime soon are not on my jury.

pj

Reaction Score
If I ever end up on trial - I hope you guys that think there is evidence that UConn is headed to the Big Ten anytime soon are not on my jury.

You're worried we'll detect your guilt?

junglehusky

Reaction Score
BYU and UConn are the two most valuable schools available. That doesn't mean that the Big 12 will take the two most valuable programs. However, I think we are a dark horse here. Negativity perceived by Big 12 fan bases regarding UConn's football program can be quickly mitigated in a press conference in which they are told the two most valuable schools available were added to the conference.

I have a hard time believing UCF has value. They don't have any fans and even in the Big 12, I just don't see it. Florida and FSU dominate Florida and Miami still has a lot of fans. USF had some decent years and highly hyped teams and no one cared. UCF will face the same struggles everyone else does without O'Leary. He'd win anywhere.

While I'd bet on Cincy and UCF as the additions, I base that only on popular beliefs of others and frankly, they aren't considering market value or compelling programming in their assessment.

Regardless, I don't think UConn is a long shot for the Big Ten. I think we are going there and I don't think it is going to be any more than 2 years until we find out. Too many clues. My big fear is what the plan is and whether or not we can survive the wait if the Big 12 takes valuable AAC teams very soon. We really need a strong football season this year. It would do wonders for public perception at a critical time. In the last go round we peaked too early.
We are a long shot in the immediate future. Chances improve slightly in the long term, maybe more significantly if the football team is actually good. Let's be honest, if UConn ever gets to the Big Ten it'll be way longer than 2 years. It's good to have hope but if you believe the BXII wouldn't take UCF over UConn, or that UConn will definitely be in the B1G in 2 years, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. The fanbase has to mentally prepare for the long haul.

Reaction Score
junglehusky said:
We are a long shot in the immediate future. Chances improve slightly in the long term, maybe more significantly if the football team is actually good. Let's be honest, if UConn ever gets to the Big Ten it'll be way longer than 2 years. It's good to have hope but if you believe the BXII wouldn't take UCF over UConn, or that UConn will definitely be in the B1G in 2 years, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. The fanbase has to mentally prepare for the long haul.

I'm prepared for it, I just don't believe it. People that believe we are going somewhere better based on UConn's body of work are no more delusional than people that don't believe it based on previous rounds of realignment. Our profile, on paper, is very strong. Negativity, is powerful and toxic. You never see the fans of other schools act as negative or resigned to doom as UConn fans. Belief in a positive outcome matters. It trickles into the mainstream media and it helps perception. It shows that the resolve of our fan base is strong and will endure. That adds value.

I like the move we made in hockey, Delany's proclaimed eastern focus and Herbst's relentless pursuit of overall excellence. We deserve better and I think we'll get it. I think it will happen within 2-3 years only because letting us die on the vine isn't good for the Big Ten. If we are left for 5+ years, we are done and I don't want to be believe that is our future. It may be, but I'd rather not expect it. I don't believe we have more than 4 or so years to escape before all of our accomplishments are for naught.

Reaction Score
Why would it be silly that the next move might only be a two AAC school Big 12 expansion?

Nobody else is available and they may be the only league that has a need.
For one, as a stand alone move, they add no value. Adding any of those two schools, plus an inclusion of a championship game, still doesn't get the Big12 title game champ in over Ohio State. After all this analysis over the last few years about tv market share, revenue, etc..... the Big 12 is simply going to add 2 because they need two for a title game. Please. This noise from OU is either a response to something going on that is bigger or his way to begin finding a way out. Either way, the Big 12 won't make a move on its own. They certainly won't add UCF, Cincy, or Memphis because they simply need to get to 12.

Reaction Score
There won't be much of a fanbase left if there is a long haul. The window will be closed long before that happens. I am not sure if UConn will be playing in the B1G by 2018(although I do believe that our hoops team will), but I am confident that our fate will be known by then. And I don't think it will be in the AAC.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
For one, as a stand alone move, they add no value. Adding any of those two schools, plus an inclusion of a championship game, still doesn't get the Big12 title game champ in over Ohio State. After all this analysis over the last few years about tv market share, revenue, etc..... the Big 12 is simply going to add 2 because they need two for a title game. Please. This noise from OU is either a response to something going on that is bigger or his way to begin finding a way out. Either way, the Big 12 won't make a move on its own. They certainly won't add UCF, Cincy, or Memphis because they simply need to get to 12.

I totally agree that it doesn't solve their problems - but it looks to have a better chance of happening than anything else.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You're worried we'll detect your guilt?

Guilty or not I'd prefer that there was actual evidence to convict.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
There won't be much of a fanbase left if there is a long haul. The window will be closed long before that happens. I am not sure if UConn will be playing in the B1G by 2018(although I do believe that our hoops team will), but I am confident that our fate will be known by then. And I don't think it will be in the AAC.
If MBB attendance can maintain what it's been the first 2 years in the AAC, and if Diaco can get the football team back on track, the fanbase will be okay. Best case scenario (asideof a short term P5 invite) - in 5 years, the football team exceeds what it was under Edsall, fans flock to the Rent again, non-UConn fans and media types start talking about UConn as the next P5 target. More likely, football is adequate / respectable and attendance improves but not a perennial sellout. Either way I believe UConn is prepared to operate in the red for some time until the door to P5 is completely closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom