Why No UConn Lacrosse ? (Merged: or wrestling) | The Boneyard

Why No UConn Lacrosse ? (Merged: or wrestling)

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Rose Mciver Money GIF by CBS

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Well, we definitely have a hockey team.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Fortunately the NCAA has not yet sponsored curling as a varsity sport.

If there ever was a sport that Syracuse would dominate due to inherent advantages from their location this is the one.

Reaction Score
Worth it to develop a lax program

From 2018 - All it takes is a sugar daddy/mommy to write the check:

Jeff Jacobs: Lacrosse at UConn makes sense, but don’t hold your breath

>“It’s not a priority at this time from the standpoint that we’ve got a lot other things we’re dealing with,” UConn athletic director David Benedict said. “Obviously, whether it’s sports sponsorship or budget, we’ve got to get our situation in order before we start thinking about adding sports.

“I do think if you were ever going to consider adding a sport at UConn, that one is at the top of the list.”<<

>“Listen, we can’t go back and play revisionist history here,” said Benedict, hired in 2016. “But why that sport wasn’t on the list and isn’t already sponsored at our place, I can’t tell you. This isn’t just something that’s becoming relevant right now. This is a sport we could have been dominating the last decade.”<<

>“If someone came forward who wanted to support lacrosse financially, it certainly would increase the likelihood of it happening,” Benedict said. “That hasn’t happened. We really haven’t gone out and solicited people for it. It is something we’ll have on the list, but there are more pressing things we’ve got to address first.”>>

>“It comes down to this,” Brameier said, “money and managing Title IX numbers.”

Truth. That’s why lacrosse is a club sport for men at UConn and the women are Division I.

“If you add a men’s sport, you have to have something to offset that,” Benedict said. “A lot of these men’s lacrosse teams have 40 athletes (average D-I roster: 44). That’s a big number. What would be the complementary sport to add for women? Or do you reduce a men’s sport? You’re not canceling soccer or baseball at our place.”<<

>Few things would win over Fairfield County better than adding lacrosse. Evidently it will take some gold from the Gold Cost to make it happen. “Anybody interested,” Benedict said, “should look me up.”<<

Background

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Except, of course, we're not, but other than that, spot on.

(You are not wrong, though, that we are highly unlikely to add more sports in the near term.)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I believe we would be very competitive with our Curling team against those BIG XII teams :)
Well you know what they say, curling drives the bus.

Reaction Score
Does anyone here know why UConn doesn’t have a Lacrosse program? I’m pretty sure it’d be very good with the talent in New England. Money?
It would add another 2-3 million to the AD deficit.

Reaction Score
Title IX- would need to add more women's sports, they do have a competitive club team.
Wrong angle. We can’t afford more teams. Mens or womens. But to your point, if we added Varsity Mens Lax, we’d have to add women’s teams as well. If we had the money, we’d have it.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Some of the best athletes in CT HS's play Lacrosse.
Very true, and they come from the wealthiest neighborhoods.

Long term it would be extremely beneficial to the school on a number of levels. Unfortunately we are not in a position to pursue it at the moment outside of private funding covering the entire cost.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom