Why is everyone so worried that... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why is everyone so worried that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No he will not grow or get more athletic but he can become a better player, if you think he can't improve I completely disagree.

Reaction Score
Shabazz averaged 17 5 assist 4 rebs and 2 steals while shooting 40 percent from three. How much can he really improve those numbers? I think Shabazz is a second round pick no matter when he comes out. Maybe we have a big run in 2014 and he sneaks into the late first. Maybe he sneaks into the late first this year because their are no PGs in this draft.
I agree with you those numbers cant get much better. Next years draft class will be one of the better ones in recent years and this years draft classes are one of the weakest ones in recent years its that simple. As much as i want bazz to come back his goal along with every other college player is to go to the nba not win a national championships so their is a high possibility he could leave....as for boat we will be seeing him here through his senior year

Reaction Score
No he can absolutely improve just don't think it will change his NBA draft stock much. Their is also the chance he comes back and hurts his draft stock. Their has been plenty examples of that.

Reaction Score
No he will not grow or get more athletic but he can become a better player, if you think he can't improve I completely disagree.
He could become better but athleticism and size are a big factor when it comes to the NBA. When Daniel Orton is able to become a 1st round pick i think that shows that it has little to do with production and more to do with potential

Reaction Score
Shabazz averaged 17 5 assist 4 rebs and 2 steals while shooting 40 percent from three. How much can he really improve those numbers? I think Shabazz is a second round pick no matter when he comes out. Maybe we have a big run in 2014 and he sneaks into the late first. Maybe he sneaks into the late first this year because their are no PGs in this draft.

I think Shabazz is who he is. However good he will be or won't be in the NBA, I don't see it improving much with another year at UConn. That isn't to say he can't further his career by leading UConn to a deep run, but that's different than making him more NBA ready.

Boatright needs to be significantly better in making decisions at the point. That is a skill that absolutely should improve with continued court time at the college level. But his camp may be somewhat delusional about how good an NBA guard he can be.

Reaction Score
Because he is a 6 foot point guard who is not very athletic. Is he gonna grow? Is he gonna be come more athletic? Like I said he's most likely a second rounder whether he comes out this year or next.

Because his skills improve with another year, and, more importantly, because he becomes much more visible on a team that would be potentially ranked in the top ten and which makes a run in the post-season. Without a post-season this year, Uconn and Shabazz are completely under the radar. Shabazz is currently averaging 17pts 5 assists/game. He also has a tendency to drift in the first half. If we got to the semis or the finals of the BET next season and to the sweet 16 or elite 8 with shabazz leading the way, playing complete games and averaging 25 pts and 7 assists, how could his stock not go up? It's the difference between being a second round pick or not being selected this season and being a first round pick next season.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
First off I'm hoping SN's injury isn't serious. That trumps everything.

About SN's play, there are three possibilities next year. He can improve his stats, stay the same or plays worse. No one knows. There are three possibilities about the competition for his position next season - less players at his position better than him, same number of players or more players. No one knows this for certain either.

We can argue whether SN can get selected in the first round. I'm not going to get in that argument. I'm hoping with all my heart there is a team interested in him to want to select him in the first round, that JC and KO hear about it and encourage the kid to go pro. Kid owes me nothing. He played his heart out this season. He was the difference between an abysmal season and one in which many of us could feel satisfaction. And for that I want to see him rewarded. There is no guarantee next season will be NC #4. Just think of George ducking Mason! happens. Meanwhile if a kid who grew up under very difficult circumstances can earn some serious dollars to help his family, I'm all for that.

So debate all we want, we should hope this kid hears that the NBA is interested in him this season. That is the unselfish perspective. If there isn't a team then things will work out in the way most prefer. Show the kid gratitude for what he's done.

Reaction Score
Because his skills improve with another year, and, more importantly, because he becomes much more visible on a team that would be potentially ranked in the top ten and which makes a run in the post-season. Without a post-season this year, Uconn and Shabazz are completely under the radar. Shabazz is currently averaging 17pts 5 assists/game. He also has a tendency to drift in the first half. If we got to the semis or the finals of the BET next season and to the sweet 16 or elite 8 with shabazz leading the way, playing complete games and averaging 25 pts and 7 assists, how could his stock not go up? It's the difference between being a second round pick or not being selected this season and being a first round pick next season.

He is not under the radar to NBA folks I am sure they are well aware of how he played this year.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think a lot of us are missing the point.

The decision making doesn't go like: "If 1st round pick, I declare. If not 1st round pick, I come back."

The decision making goes like: "In which draft am I going to go higher?"

The argument for leaving is that the draft is weak, he may have reached his ceiling, and if he comes back a year older and isn't much better, his stock will plummet like it did for Sullinger and Terence Jones (remember that the NBA still drafts largely on potential).

The argument for coming back is that there's a chance he could be even better and will certainly gain more exposure next year than this year, when we've been banished to the Twilight Zone.

Of course, the X factor is the loyalty Bazz has to this program and to KO. That might sway him towards returning even if the dollar signs say he should leave.
...or maybe his trust in Jim Calhoun. He'll ask, Calhoun will answer and Bazz will do what's best for him. I think that he's staying. I also think that Bazz could have a huge tournament next year, and that could help his draft standing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom