Why is everyone so worried that... | The Boneyard

Why is everyone so worried that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
shabazz and boat r gonna leave. Neither bazz or boat would get drafted if they declared. Say what u want but it's the truth. Once the reality is realized i think both return and we gear up for r 4th championship

Reaction Score
It seems like we have posts about it every day, seems most people here have finally realized that Boatright isn't close to ready and isn't on the nba radar, while Bazz is further along as a player he isn't on the nba radar either. Our fanbase seems to live in a bit of a UConn bubble and doesn't follow the nba closely. Bazz isn't leaving, a chance at playing for a title contender will look better to him than playing in Europe or possibly for a NBDL team.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
The reason people are worried is that players a lot worse than Shabazz declare for the draft every single year. It could be a bad decision from your point of view, maybe from an expert's point of view, but it could still happen. And we hope it doesn't.

Reaction Score
Boat said in an offseason article in the Chicago papers that he was considering leaving after his freshman season, it's not crazy to think he might leave after playing 30+ minutes and having a good season. You never know what could be going through these guys minds, guys make bad decisions to leave all the time. As for Bazz, there really hasn't been any talk of him leaving besides our own writers promoting the idea of him leaving.

Reaction Score
The concern is he realizes his stock will never be higher. This draft is weak and next year has a lot of talent coming in through the high school ranks. Maybe Shabazz is ok going in the second round.

Reaction Score
Leaving early to be a second round pick is just stupid, no guaranteed contract. It's especially stupid when we have a team that could challenge for the whole thing next year, I'm confident Ollie and Calhoun will give him good advice.

Reaction Score
The concern is he realizes his stock will never be higher. This draft is weak and next year has a lot of talent coming in through the high school ranks. Maybe Shabazz is ok going in the second round.

Considering that his stock isn't very high right now, I don't understand the argument that it can't go any higher.

Reaction Score
Think he's just saying that because next years draft is supposed to be better. Seems like every other draft is supposed to suck but it never really turns out that way. It also seems that many people here think Shabazz is a finished product, he has been really good this year but there is certainly room for improvement.

Reaction Score
Shabazz averaged 17 5 assist 4 rebs and 2 steals while shooting 40 percent from three. How much can he really improve those numbers? I think Shabazz is a second round pick no matter when he comes out. Maybe we have a big run in 2014 and he sneaks into the late first. Maybe he sneaks into the late first this year because their are no PGs in this draft.

Reaction Score
Sure, next year's class is better. But Shabazz's draft prospects, according to everyone on the planet not named Doug Gottlieb or HuskyFanDan, range anywhere from 2nd round to undrafted. Those are lousy prospects. Roll your ankle in a pre-draft workout and your agent is on the phone with teams in Turkey the day after the draft.

Given what Shabazz would be likely to accomplish next year in college, you mean to tell me he can't do better than that? I'm not saying he'll be taken before Andrew Wiggins in 2014, but he do better than where he's at now.

Reaction Score
Shabazz averaged 17 5 assist 4 rebs and 2 steals while shooting 40 percent from three. How much can he really improve those numbers? I think Shabazz is a second round pick no matter when he comes out. Maybe we have a big run in 2014 and he sneaks into the late first. Maybe he sneaks into the late first this year because their are no PGs in this draft.

There's at least 4 point guards (Carter-Williams, Marcus Smart, Trey Burke, and CJ McCollum) who would be taken ahead of him this year.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
shabazz and boat r gonna leave. Neither bazz or boat would get drafted if they declared. Say what u want but it's the truth. Once the reality is realized i think both return and we gear up for r 4th championship
We sure would make a hell of a run at #4!!!

Reaction Score
I think a lot of us are missing the point.

The decision making doesn't go like: "If 1st round pick, I declare. If not 1st round pick, I come back."

The decision making goes like: "In which draft am I going to go higher?"

The argument for leaving is that the draft is weak, he may have reached his ceiling, and if he comes back a year older and isn't much better, his stock will plummet like it did for Sullinger and Terence Jones (remember that the NBA still drafts largely on potential).

The argument for coming back is that there's a chance he could be even better and will certainly gain more exposure next year than this year, when we've been banished to the Twilight Zone.

Of course, the X factor is the loyalty Bazz has to this program and to KO. That might sway him towards returning even if the dollar signs say he should leave.

Reaction Score
Shabazz has incredible passing ability, he can fit the ball into any window at any time. He has shown that he can be an unconscious shooter with unlimited range (see: Villanova). His basketball IQ has improved by leaps and bounds from sophomore to junior year. If he were 3 inches taller he would be a top 15 pick with a good chance of going in the top 10. He can improve his draft stock coming back next year, he needs to improve his ability to get to the line, as well as finishing around the basket.

Reaction Score
While I am agreement with you that they shouldn't enter the draft, are you going to guarantee me that they both are coming back? Because there is noise around the program that both are "thinking" about the draft. And as everyone else has said, there are kids every year who don't make good decisions. I think Napier is smart enough to listen to what Ollie and Calhoun tell him. Boatright worries me because he has a lot of influences in his ear that might not be thinking rationally.

I think both will be back but there's a chance they won't be and that chance worried all of us.

Reaction Score
I'm more worried about the fact Bazz reinjured the same foot he had surgery on. I don't see either guy going pro despite what Duffy says. They have yet to make an appearance on any draft board even in the second round. If they leave college without a guarantee they are getting bad advice.

Reaction Score
Boatright worries me because he has a lot of influences in his ear that might not be thinking rationally.

Those influences are actually quite rational, they just want their payout as soon as possible. I'm sure he has hangers-on who see him as their meal ticket.

Reaction Score
Shabazz would maybe get drafted 2nd round if he left this year, Boat would go undrafted. It would be incredibly stupid for either to leave and to Burnbros yes Shabazz can improve and making a run in March next year would absolutely improve his stock.

Reaction Score
Boat said in an offseason article in the Chicago papers that he was considering leaving after his freshman season, it's not crazy to think he might leave after playing 30+ minutes and having a good season. You never know what could be going through these guys minds, guys make bad decisions to leave all the time. As for Bazz, there really hasn't been any talk of him leaving besides our own writers promoting the idea of him leaving.

I actually wish that guys from The Horde would just shut the hell up. Yeah I know this is a weak year for guards; and, combined with some great games by Bazz, on comes the talk that he would have his best chance this year. Shabazz has considerably better UConn stats than Jeremy Lamb(and both have NC rings), and Jeremy was 12th pick by the Rockets.

He(Jeremy)is on the Thunder roster now but has made trips to the "D" League. Jeremy gives the Thunder flexibility at 6'5" to play 2 & 3. Shabazz doesn't have that option; and would have to be a whole lot better at his size offensively(yeah I know he's been clutch) consistently from tip to whistle than he is now to even have a shot at the first round. Bluntly, at least right now, he's not Kemba. I think he "needs" one more year(with the added boost of the team being successful in 2013-14) to have a shot at getting into the first round AND sticking with an NBA roster.

Obviously, I am also being selfish because he would be a huge lift for us for next season combined with expected, continued improvement from DeAndre, Ryan,Omar,Neils etc. and the class coming in.

GO HUSKIES!!! BEAT THE BEARCATS!!!

Reaction Score
It seems like we have posts about it every day, seems most people here have finally realized that Boatright isn't close to ready and isn't on the nba radar, while Bazz is further along as a player he isn't on the nba radar either. Our fanbase seems to live in a bit of a UConn bubble and doesn't follow the nba closely. Bazz isn't leaving, a chance at playing for a title contender will look better to him than playing in Europe or possibly for a NBDL team.

I dont understand how anyone who watches college basketball could post this. The people speculating about anyone leaving aren't the ones in the bubble - the people who think that every decision made by every 18-21 year old with respect to turning pro is entirely rational are the ones in the bubble. Your evidence: EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

Reaction Score
I dont understand how anyone who watches college basketball could post this. The people speculating about anyone leaving aren't the ones in the bubble - the people who think that every decision made by every 18-21 year old with respect to turning pro is entirely rational are the ones in the bubble. Your evidence: EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

Boatright would be nuts to go. He needs to hone his skills. He is out of control a LOT can have an attitude and is very small for the NBA without a deadly jumpshot. He does have NBA athetiscm and speed---but he needs the skills and basketball IQ to meet with that. Thats why they have college basketball so he can improve on everything. Leaving would be a disaster for him disaster.

Shabazz would likely get drafted but as I mentioned in another post this draft is not as weak as people saying concerning PGs. Can he make the NBA this year--imho I would say there almost has to be a team who likes him--almost has to. Does that guarantee a roster spot for him and not a year or two in Europe--nope. Shabazz can hit big shots he plays at his own pace he can do a lot of things(rebound pass and plays good D). On the downside hes not overly fast or athletic(i dont see him as a wow guy in a private workout) he is also smallish and needs to improve the dribble drive game(which is big for the NBA) He does have that NBA 3 and he can be explosive--so there are skills there as a back up 1 that some NBA teams must like right now. Shabazz is simply one of those guys where beauty is in the eye of the beholder. He needs for a team to really like him. I would not go without a lock 1st round guarantee or a guaranteed roster spot even if 2nd round. Without a 1st round or roster guarantee it really makes no sense to give up his senior year where his draft stock could get him into 1st round position as well as finishes off his degree.

Reaction Score

This makes no sense to me. How could Shabazz's stock not be drastically higher if he stays another year and takes us on a deep run in the BET and the NCAAs????????????

SouthTampaBill

20" Neck
Reaction Score
Bazz is 6 feet maybe
RB is 5'9"
There is no potential upside for these guys at this height in the NBA. They will always be overmatched
6'10"+ absolutely is an upside deal.

Reaction Score
This makes no sense to me. How could Shabazz's stock not be drastically higher if he stays another year and takes us on a deep run in the BET and the NCAAs????????????

Because he is a 6 foot point guard who is not very athletic. Is he gonna grow? Is he gonna be come more athletic? Like I said he's most likely a second rounder whether he comes out this year or next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom