Why I Love Watching UConn Play | The Boneyard

Why I Love Watching UConn Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm an old man who played through the 40's when the game was always "below the rim" and playing as a team was core to playing. All the things we strived to do and practiced to do better are there for me to watch and wonder why we couldn't do it as well. So many moments of beautiful execution.

Reaction Score
I'm an old man who played through the 40's when the game was always "below the rim" and playing as a team was core to playing. All the things we strived to do and practiced to do better are there for me to watch and wonder why we couldn't do it as well. So many moments of beautiful execution.
Beautifully stated and a beautiful depiction of a team sport that has been hijacked by many (mostly) male teams and players in the past 30 years whose apparent agenda is me, Me, and more ME. The "team" aspect is the reason I have returned to watching basketball ...women's basketball that is! And, the "so many moments of beautiful execution" is what makes UConn my WBB team of choice. Watching the UConn women, as the saying goes, is like watching poetry in motion.

Thanks for the narrative, Hoppy, we need seasoned gentlemen like you to keep us grounded, on target, and a bit humble.

Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving, and do start getting ready for the next game on Saturday, which surely will present us with more moments of beautiful execution. :)

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

I'm just a little bit younger ( I played during the '50's)and I agree with you. Watching UCONN is like watching basketball the way it is supposed to be played. Sometimes it is hard to watch the men play. Also, I rarely see UCONN players mugging and showing off and playing to the crowd. They are something to watch, especially when everything is clicking.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I'm just a little bit younger ( I played during the '50's)and I agree with you. Watching UCONN is like watching basketball the way it is supposed to be played. Sometimes it is hard to watch the men play. Also, I rarely see UCONN players mugging and showing off and playing to the crowd. They are something to watch, especially when everything is clicking.
I'm in the same boat as you. I used to be a big fan of the men's game, but today that is about 3 things: dunking-tatoos-leaving early for the pros.
You are right, today's women's game is like the Men's game of the 1950's. I especially like the unselfishness which the Uconn women display.

Reaction Score
I still follow men's college basketball and even though there is a lot of one and done there is still a lot of fundamental basketball being coached and played. I will always be a Knick fan and check on how they are doing but I don't really follow the NBA anymore. However I do enjoy watching the San Antonio Spurs play.

Reaction Score
I played in the 50's and 60's. I feel the same way about the team play, character, unselfishness, hard work and camaraderie that is shown by this team. It feels like it did back then except for some of the dribble moves that would have been called a "carry" back in my day. I find it hard to watch men's basketball and football because of the regular focus the players bring on themselves for the occasional good play that happens even though the team is down by 40 points.

Reaction Score
Another sentimental old guy here...first post. I believe this wonderful team resonates because it symbolizes a good life.. care, work hard, share, learn, grow and stay honest. It's a beautiful thing to see.
Thanks for that Boo Yah, wise words from an obviously wise gentleman. And a BIG WELCOME to our little Boneyard. Hope you enjoy the camaraderie, fellowship, shared vision, communal appreciation ...and the chaos. :confused:

BlueDolphin

Playful Mammal
Reaction Score
I think it lasted through the Knicks, Red/Holzman-led teams up till 73.
One of the reasons I enjoy watching the UConn women play is they remind me of my favorite team of all time: the 1969-70 Knicks. Clyde, Dollar Bill, Willis, Dave D., Dick Barnett. Cazzie, Dave the Rave, Riordon off the bench (Phil Jackson was hurt.)

They were all smart. They could all handle. They could all shoot. They shared the ball. They all played terrific team D. Just like our UConn women.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
I'm in the same boat as you. I used to be a big fan of the men's game, but today that is about 3 things: dunking-tatoos-leaving early for the pros.
You are right, today's women's game is like the Men's game of the 1950's. I especially like the unselfishness which the Uconn women display.

I'm a 50's player as well and made a comment to my older son, who is not a fan of WCBB, as we watched the O.S. game on SNY that I'm a big fan because they play the game like it was taught to me. He didn't understand my comment and asked, "You mean you were taught to play like a girl?" LOL......

Reaction Score
I'm a 50's player as well and made a comment to my older son, who is not a fan of WCBB, as we watched the O.S. game on SNY that I'm a big fan because they play the game like it was taught to me. He didn't understand my comment and asked, "You mean you were taught to play like a girl?" LOL.
ROFLMDO (Rolling on the floor laughing my dentures out)

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I'm 50s 60s vintage. No teams played team ball better than tte Celts I like to watch UConn, both teams. The truth is, I think, that the UConn women stand out. Most women's games are not any more fundamentally sound than the men's game. On top of that, even the best men's teams can be pushed by mediocre teams into looking lees than fluid. Not true so much for the better women.

Reaction Score
Agree. That is the reason I don't watch men's game.
I hate tattoos, piercings in the young college's body. And after the team won a NC, 3-4 people left for pro ASAP even they are only freshmen.

Reaction Score
I too played in the fifties and early sixties, but not basketball. I stunk at that. I learned many of the team principles discussed here, but from baseball. That's why I follow the girls too. I also enjoy high school sports.
This may sound harsh, but as much as I like our gals while they are here I don't follow them at all as pros. Once they start playing for money I have no interest. I wish them well of course and then say good-bye.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I too played in the fifties and early sixties, but not basketball. I stunk at that. I learned many of the team principles discussed here, but from baseball. That's why I follow the girls too. I also enjoy high school sports.
This may sound harsh, but as much as I like our gals while they are here I don't follow them at all as pros. Once they start playing for money I have no interest. I wish them well of course and then say good-bye.
Yeah, I don't follow the girls in the pros as much as I used to. Some of them moan and complain about wanting to play near their hometown, or the college they attended. For all I know, the men do too.

Reaction Score
I like both WCBB especially UCONN & the WNBA!
When the late, great coach John Wooden said if he wants to watch BB He'll watch the women play because they play BB the way it was meant to be played! That's good enough for me!
I can't stand a lot of sports today because they've become LOOK AT ME! It's all about the individual instead of the team!
I love to watch UCONN because they give everything a team should bring to their sport, selflessness, respect, hustle, skill, relentless, intelligence, class all the way from Rosemary Ragle to the players to the coaching staff!
And it doesn't get any better when the best player in WCBB, is crying at the FF awards ceremony when she was named MOP, not from happiness but because in her eyes her teammate MoJeff deserved it more than her and didn't get it!

Reaction Score
Why I Love Watching UConn Play
images

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Give the UConn men a chance. Kevin Ollie has them playing stingy defense, jumping on loose balls, passing inside and out, and just playing a fun brand of basketball. It's a likable group of young men who play their hearts out. I see a lot of similarities to the way the women play.

Reaction Score
Give the UConn men a chance. Kevin Ollie has them playing stingy defense, jumping on loose balls, passing inside and out, and just playing a fun brand of basketball. It's a likable group of young men who play their hearts out. I see a lot of similarities to the way the women play.

Agree that they are playing differently this year - and to date more enjoyable to watch. The ball is being moved (mostly crisply) with very little dribbling - and no one player just dribbling while the clock runs down. Hamilton is key as when he moves into the key, the defense has to move and his lob passes are "right on". A different roster and more experienced players and less dependence on the point to be key to their entire offense.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

Having wacthed the men's game this season, they are much different than years past. It is not run and gun by the guards. Passing the ball is a priority to get the best shot. There is a chemistry that cannot be denied. Even with the additions of Miller and Gibbs, it seems that this team has played together for a while.

And to further cement the concept that the men and women have much in common, the Alumni Night featuring both Geno and Kevin cements this idea. Their concepts/ ideas on how the game should be played is very similar. Both believe in ball movement, players who can play multiple positions, team speed and defense.

I also remember reading somewhere that when Ollie became head coach, he and Geno had several long conversations about program development, character development of their players and the like. And they seems to genuinely like and respect one another.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Enjoy these moments Sonny- because our college experience will be different soon enough- and three nothing we can do to change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom