Why Emmett Hendry went from NCAA champion UConn men's basketball team to Kansas community college (Mike Anthony) | The Boneyard

Why Emmett Hendry went from NCAA champion UConn men's basketball team to Kansas community college (Mike Anthony)

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing - interesting story and he seems like a nice kid.

For those curious, the answer to the headline question is “to get game film to be able to transfer back to a D1 program”.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I wish him well, but I am guessing that he did not envision himself as a back up JUCO guard in the middle of nowhere.

Like with Nahiem, sometimes where you are is the best place for you.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
If I recall he had his sights set on getting into coaching so hopefully his experiences along the way will set him up for that. He was a great sideline presence last year.

Reaction Score
I have to wonder why he went to UConn in the first place if he had dreams of playing. It certainly was obvious it wouldn't happen at UConn.

Reaction Score
I wish him well, but I am guessing that he did not envision himself as a back up JUCO guard in the middle of nowhere.

Like with Nahiem, sometimes where you are is the best place for you.
That's life today.............or maybe as it's always been.
People, trying to be supportive, help you develop an inflated sense of your ability and you make a choice that doesn't work out.

Reaction Score
People, trying to be supportive, help you develop an inflated sense of your ability and you make a choice that doesn't work out.

This seems like a stretch. I don't think there's any indication that Emmett or Naheim had an inflated sense of their ability.

Naheim got recruited over at SJU when searching for more PT. In retrospect, he probably should have waited a few months before pulling the trigger. He's playing for maybe the best coach in all of CBB right now and likely getting a decent check from NIL. Everything else is what-ifs.

Emmett went to a JUCO to try and show out to earn D1 minutes in a couple seasons. He just isn't good enough. It happens. I don't really see anything wrong with his decision--he wanted to play real basketball and took a flyer on making that happen.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This seems like a stretch. I don't think there's any indication that Emmett or Naheim had an inflated sense of their ability.

Naheim got recruited over at SJU when searching for more PT. In retrospect, he probably should have waited a few months before pulling the trigger. He's playing for maybe the best coach in all of CBB right now and likely getting a decent check from NIL. Everything else is what-ifs.

Emmett went to a JUCO to try and show out to earn D1 minutes in a couple seasons. He just isn't good enough. It happens. I don't really see anything wrong with his decision--he wanted to play real basketball and took a flyer on making that happen.
And those Kansas JUCOs do produce kids who get D1 offers, which may be why he’s on the bench.

Reaction Score
Jeff Van Gundy left Yale for Menlo College because he wanted more playing time. It worked out okay for Jeff.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Really how much did playing at UConn actually cost him give him the opportunities he had available to him? yeah, he lost a season of playing time, largely, but he practiced at a higher level and learned what the standards are at a high major... oh and was a part of a national championship team.

For my money, the kids made a great choice and reaped huge benefits from it.

Reaction Score
Really how much did playing at UConn actually cost him give him the opportunities he had available to him? yeah, he lost a season of playing time, largely, but he practiced at a higher level and learned what the standards are at a high major... oh and was a part of a national championship team.

For my money, the kids made a great choice and reaped huge benefits from it.
How much did it cost him?

He had the best year of his life and it's something he'll be talking about for the rest of his life.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If anything the guys had a realistic grasp of their abilities and left to get more PT. End of the day they represented the university well and in Alleyne's case played vital minutes of a title team. They both made what was perceived to be the best choice for them, and that's all there is to it.

Reaction Score
Jeff Van Gundy left Yale for Menlo College because he wanted more playing time. It worked out okay for Jeff.
after playing at and graduating from Nazareth College in Rochester

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom