Why don't UCONN fans travel to RU? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why don't UCONN fans travel to RU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I think it's a good question... It's still the closest away game to get to. I'm not really sure either, other than I tend to plan things to do on weekends without UConn home games. This weekend it turns out I will be in NJ, but to visit family.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Interesting that no one can answer the question. Is it just apathy? I think it is a real shame. I understand weekyday games are difficult, but Saturday games?

your school wouldn't let us use hundreds of tix but not letting us send our band. they dont need to be given a half time slot. just let them be in the crowd and play when we score. many schools do this. its small time bs on your schools part. for that reason i hope not 1 uconn fan supports your tickets $$. your ad. you can't bitch about a uconn showing when your school wont let our band travel a hore away. we have the funds to do so becuase our ad has its act together and u guys went cold war on us. may hell be your resting spot.

Reaction Score
the simple answer is nobody likes going to, being in, or smelling nj. I grew up there and I don't even like it.

Reaction Score
What's going to be some kind of mess, is this whole black out at noon. Black unis, 50k fans in black? Weather forecast has sunshine in the morning and 20% of rain/partly cloudy 75-77degree day for the game.

Perfect conditions to be decked out in black in the bleachers. Couldn't ask for a better scenario to put your fans to sleep.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I've driven to Florida for a Big East baseball tournament. I drove to Michigan for the football game there. Drove to Maryland this year. Drove to Cuse a couple years ago. Just never had much interest in going to Rutgers for whatever reason. I think I'll probably go this weekend though.

And 5K to the Fiesta Bowl is not remotely true, as others have pointed out. I would say minimum 12K. Buying tickets through UConn for that game cost about $150 IIRC for the cheapest tickets. Stubhub....like 20 bucks. People just bought tickets off of other people that were forced to buy Fiesta Bowl tickets with their National Championship tickets.

blitz8ru

Rutgers Fan
Reaction Score
What's going to be some kind of mess, is this whole black out at noon. Black unis, 50k fans in black? Weather forecast has sunshine in the morning and 20% of rain/partly cloudy 75-77degree day for the game.

Perfect conditions to be decked out in black in the bleachers. Couldn't ask for a better scenario to put your fans to sleep.

It was declared a blackout game in May when the new uniforms came out... before the game was declared a noon start by ESPN on late September... since UConn is our only rivalry game at home this season with Syracuse leaving for the ACC after this season... Temple will likely be our blackout game (reserved for home rivalry game) for next year since we have Temple at home and UConn on the road... Last year out blackout game was vs Pitt at home (we had UConn and Syracuse on the road)...

Reaction Score
your school wouldn't let us use hundreds of tix but not letting us send our band. they dont need to be given a half time slot. just let them be in the crowd and play when we score. many schools do this. its small time bs on your schools part. for that reason i hope not 1 uconn fan supports your tickets $$. Fecundity your ad. you can't bitch about a uconn showing when your school wont let our band travel a hore away. we have the funds to do so becuase our ad has its act together and u guys went cold war on us. may hell be your resting spot.

Well if you guys did what you were supposed to do you would've notified RU your bands' intentions before the season - not after you've returned un-sold tickets that we now have discretion to use as we please. I also noticed we charge an extra $10 for the visiting fans' section. :loldog:

Reaction Score
It was declared a blackout game in May when the new uniforms came out... before the game was declared a noon start by ESPN on late September... since UConn is our only rivalry game at home this season with Syracuse leaving for the ACC after this season... Temple will likely be our blackout game (reserved for home rivalry game) for next year since we have Temple at home and UConn on the road... Last year out blackout game was vs Pitt at home (we had UConn and Syracuse on the road)...

I might vomit if we ever deemed Temple a blackout game. That would be completey embarassing. We don't always need a yearly blackout game to be honest...

Reaction Score

I can just taste the excitement...

Reaction Score
a25d1e0991323ed8i3.jpg

Hysterical thread.

Do I have any legal recourse that someone photoshopped my picture to make me look like a Rutgers fan?

Reaction Score
It is a legitimate question. We just have not ... and many here won't admit it ... reached the full maturation as a fanbase. We can still grow this Program. (however, it seems the AD & our 2nd year HC seemingly miss many opportunities)

Reaction Score
I've been to every BE venue except Ville. And RU is right there with the Dome as far as unenjoyable experiences go. That's why I haven't been back. But I'm just speaking for myself.

Reaction Score
The 2006 game was on a Sunday night, I was at that game and there were maybe 500 UConn fans. If that. I was a "maybe" for this game, but I am holding out in the hope that we go bowling as I am only going to get one shot at an away game trip this year because of my little UConn fan.

2004 was Thanksgiving morning. I was there. We grilled hot dogs in the lot after the game notwithstanding that as soon as we got in the car we were heading to Thanksgiving dinner. Not 1000 UConn fans (not 20k Rutgers fans either).

2006 was a Sunday friggin night. I was there. Not as many UCOnn fans as '04, for good reason.

2008 was a Saturday noon game. It is the only Saturday game we've played in Piscataway since joining the Big East.

2010 was a weeknight game (I believe Friday night).

So this will only be the second time since joining the Big East we've played Rutgers on a Saturday. Maybe this discussion would make more sense on Sunday.

Reaction Score
It's a pretty good question. I just got back from Germany and blew more money than I'd care to admit, so it's just not affordable for me right now to spend more money. But I would've liked to go. Just poor planning on my part.

I do hope that people show up, but the lack of optimism with the team right now is probably gonna keep people home, I suspect.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
BL, that isn't you. You haven't worn a beard (at least during football season) for as long as I've known you.

Pudge, considering the impressive turnouts we've had at Duke, Virginia, Notre Dame, Michigan, Maryland and even a couple of Temple trips I would conclude that the issue is not us.

Reaction Score
I want great things for UCONN because I think we have a nice rivalry going and if one of us left for greener pastures I'd like it to be a package deal. I think we need to play for a rivalry trophy. Battle of I-95. However, you guys just need to continue to step it up with attending a game at RU. Honestly Saturday is perfect for you guys because it is at noon. You leave stadium at 4 and get home by 7-8 and can still watch the big games at night, eat dinner with family, go to bed early, etc.

Reaction Score
They don't show up to bowl games either... only like 5K showed up to the Fiesta bowl... For comparison we had over 25K show up to the insight bowl in Arizona (similar distance to the Fiesta bowl from the northeast)...
Oklahoma fans also didn't show up to the game. They only had 8,000 fans there. http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/18/surprise-fiesta-bowl-ticket-sales-are-down/

Somehow, even though the two schools only brought a combined total of 13,000 fans, they were able to rig up about 45-50,000 more cardboard cutouts of fans and stick them in the seats in Glendale to make it look like more people were there.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
is this really happening? this thread? rutgers fans are trying to pump uconn fans into buying tickets so they can claim a sellout. unreal.

just becuase uconn fans dont show up in the shity state of nj doesn't mean we dont travel. our fanbase does well bowl game wise considering how young we are. we show up at bball tneys glaore and pack arenas for both mens and womens sports. our soccer team is unmatched in attendance and our baseball team puts the only fans in the crowd down in florida besides usf fans come the BET for baseball. uconn fans all together travel 10 times more than rutgers. we just pick our spots. when you put NJ on a list of spots it only beats out canada and downtown iraq. all this noise you guys are trying to bring to the table. this week i wanted to see if you goons came out and you did more now then ever. its just to perfect heading into saturday. enjoy your weekend mother fuckers.

Reaction Score
I want great things for UCONN because I think we have a nice rivalry going and if one of us left for greener pastures I'd like it to be a package deal. I think we need to play for a rivalry trophy. Battle of I-95. However, you guys just need to continue to step it up with attending a game at RU. Honestly Saturday is perfect for you guys because it is at noon. You leave stadium at 4 and get home by 7-8 and can still watch the big games at night, eat dinner with family, go to bed early, etc.

I'm catching your drift with building up the rivalry. I think the potential is there and will continue to develop. Definitly don't agree with you on the whole noon game is easist. Not exactly a hop skip and a throw away when stinking NYC is in the middle of the two schools. For a solid tailgate you'd probably have to leave around 5 from hartford.

I've been there in 06 and 10. Really wanted to go to this game as a close friend of mine's brother is a starter on the squad and it will likely be my last chance to see him get beat before he leaves for the next level. Just not going to work out this time unfortunately.

Reaction Score
Interesting that no one can answer the question. Is it just apathy? I think it is a real shame. I understand weekyday games are difficult, but Saturday games?
I dont why. We traveled well to Army.

Reaction Score
Oh, one more thing about ticket sales. It's interesting that you had 25,000 fans show up to the Insight Bowl in Phoenix, but sold 11,000 tickets to the Pinstripe bowl 25 miles from campus. Is Phoenix a huge hotbed for RU alumni?

Reaction Score
Oh, one more thing about ticket sales. It's interesting that you had 25,000 fans show up to the Insight Bowl in Phoenix, but sold 11,000 tickets to the Pinstripe bowl 25 miles from campus. Is Phoenix a huge hotbed for RU alumni?

Must have been a bunch of pac 12 fans who beleived the rutgers boards saying they were joining their conference

Reaction Score

Both statements are untrue, look at my post correcting my fellow RU friend on that. We brought 10-11k for Insight. We brought 30k to NYC. Iowa St brought 8k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom