Why Does Duke Always Play at MSG? | The Boneyard

Why Does Duke Always Play at MSG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was just watching the Knicks game and during the commercials they were advertising a game between Duke and Utah at MSG in December. I know they just played in the 2K Sports Classic, and now they have another game vs Utah there in a few weeks. It seems like they always play at least one game there every year. Its just frustrating because a lot of UConn people consider New York and The Garden our second home. Now that we are stuck in the AAC and need as many quality opponents as we can get, why doest Ward and the staff try to get games like this every year. Im not trying to beat a dead horse, but I would think there are a number of quality teams who would love the chance to play at MSG vs UConn to help their RPI or SOS.

Reaction Score
Duke has a large alumni base in NYC. And I'm sure it doesn't hurt recruiting.

It appears there are ongoing discussions about possibly playing at the Garden on a regular basis against former BE foes. And we have a game there this year against a top five team. Not sure what more you want.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I was just watching the Knicks game and during the commercials they were advertising a game between Duke and Utah at MSG in December. I know they just played in the 2K Sports Classic, and now they have another game vs Utah there in a few weeks. It seems like they always play at least one game there every year. Its just frustrating because a lot of UConn people consider New York and The Garden our second home. Now that we are stuck in the AAC and need as many quality opponents as we can get, why doest Ward and the staff try to get games like this every year. Im not trying to beat a dead horse, but I would think there are a number of quality teams who would love the chance to play at MSG vs UConn to help their RPI or SOS.

Duke won't play a true away OOC game in Nov/Dec so instead they just go to MSG and get it counted as such.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
the only team recently they didnt play at msg was UCONN bc we'd rival/out number them there... we played at the fkcin' izod center

Reaction Score
You know we're playing Maryland at MSG in like a week right?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
the only team recently they didnt play at msg was UCONN bc we'd rival/out number them there... we played at the fkcin' izod center
We played them in 2010 in MSG and got beat pretty badly, I believe Dukies outnumbered us as well.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
We played them in 2010 in MSG and got beat pretty badly, I believe Dukies outnumbered us as well.
was at the game, i would say it was split... same for the UK game

Reaction Score
You know we're playing Maryland at MSG in like a week right?
Yes obviously I know that. Im talking more about going forward...and the reason we are playing Maryland there is because its the Jimmy V Classic. For example, last year we didnt play in any of the November tournaments that are hosted at MSG so obviously we didnt have a game there. We cant play in the 2K Sports Classic and Jimmy V every other year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You mean the place that is literally a 15 minute drive from MSG?

Duke plays at MSG for the same reasons for which we take the opportunity to play there every chance we get.

Reaction Score
I don't think that this has anything to do with alumni or support because both teams draw enough to fill the garden. Duke is a bigger media draw than us on TV. They and Kentucky are the biggest names in the sport promo wise and are usually top 10 teams ranking wise through the season. The garden wants high profile as much as possible after all they have to have a lot of St. John's and the Knicks by contract. A lot of this is what MSG wants and they don't care about our SOS, they want Duke.

Reaction Score
Yes obviously I know that. Im talking more about going forward...and the reason we are playing Maryland there is because its the Jimmy V Classic. For example, last year we didnt play in any of the November tournaments that are hosted at MSG so obviously we didnt have a game there. We cant play in the 2K Sports Classic and Jimmy V every other year.

Aren't these always some kind of "classic" or "invitational"?

The Duke/Utah game is the "Ameritas Insurance Classic."

What a classic event.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

Duke plays at MSG for the same reasons for which we take the opportunity to play there every chance we get.
the place and area that is nothing like MSG... also you cant take a train there from what I barely remember

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I always go and enjoy any UConn game at MSG
That being said, instead of worrying about WHERE UConn is playing, after this past tournament (esp. vs. Cuse), I am more concerned on HOW UConn is playing.
Duke can play there all they want - MSG is interested in the $ it brings
While most of us consider MSG to be UConn's second home, I'm not sure MSG feels that way

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Rocktheworld said:

No, he means the place that is a 15 minute drive from any reasonable mass transit connection to CT.

Makes all the difference and we still outnumbered them, if only slightly.

Reaction Score
I don't think that this has anything to do with alumni or support because both teams draw enough to fill the garden. Duke is a bigger media draw than us on TV. They and Kentucky are the biggest names in the sport promo wise and are usually top 10 teams ranking wise through the season. The garden wants high profile as much as possible after all they have to have a lot of St. John's and the Knicks by contract. A lot of this is what MSG wants and they don't care about our SOS, they want Duke.
It does have to do with alumni. This coming from a friend of mine who works in the endowment area of a competing school. Just like all colleges, Duke needs to raise money from its alumni base for its endowment. Alumni are more apt to donate when they are still engaged with the school in some fashion. Bringing a basketball game to the NYC area at least once a year gives Duke the ability to connect with their alumni base in NYC, who by the way have lots of money. I'm sure the recruiting aspect is also helpful but that's secondary. Same reason Duke likes to play in Washington, DC also. I'm guessing they didn't schedule a game in DC this season because the ACC Tournament is there this year so they can use that instead.

I'm sure MSG loves having Duke play a game there since it makes them money but the primary reason Duke plays there is for their alumni.

Reaction Score
Aren't these always some kind of "classic" or "invitational"?

The Duke/Utah game is the "Ameritas Insurance Classic."

What a classic event.
Yes youre right, I never heard of the Ameritas Insurance Classic before this season. It seems to me that in just these random one game matchups, all you need to do is find a company to sponsor the game and add the word "Classic" on the end of it.

Reaction Score
Yes youre right, I never heard of the Ameritas Insurance Classic before this season. It seems to me that in just these random one game matchups, all you need to do is find a company to sponsor the game and add the word "Classic" on the end of it.

And then someone from the company gets to stand for a photo-op with the team while they hold a meaningless banner or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom