Why do conferences make sense anymore? | The Boneyard

Why do conferences make sense anymore?

Reaction Score
Now that all regional rivals, cultural fits, academics, geography etc. are out the window why do conferences make any sense anymore?

It's all about money and brand. Why are we even continuing with this charade of conferences when half the brands suck in these few "power" conferences that are left and there are "power" brands which are still out there in non "power" conferences?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
They don't really. Once streaming really takes hold it'll probably be every school for themselves to negotiate their own deal which will be based on actual performance metrics for the school.
That won't happen. That's how it was. These are rights collectives. Don't think of them as conferences like they used to be. The are aggregators or intellectual property. That gives them the ability to work with media partners to engineer the most valuable matchups for broadcast. No single school is worth even 50% of what they are getting in the B1G or SEC.

Reaction Score
They don't really. Once streaming really takes hold it'll probably be every school for themselves to negotiate their own deal which will be based on actual performance metrics for the school.
That's eventually where I see all of this ending up I think. Playing constant musical chairs and holding onto brands that give you nothing is pretty pointless. All the end stage talk here cracks me up, this is still just the beginning of all of this.

Reaction Score
That's eventually where I see all of this ending up I think. Playing constant musical chairs and holding onto brands that give you nothing is pretty pointless. All the end stage talk here cracks me up, this is still just the beginning of all of this.
About 60-70% of the "power" teams are useless. They don't win, they don't invest in athletics, they don't have a big TV market, but they get a free ride because 80 years ago they joined this new fangled thing called an athletic conference which had no real implication at the time other than making it easy to build out a schedule. For these teams they get handed a big check of tens of millions of dollars every year simply because of history and not because of anything they've done to earn it. That system is not sustainable for those at the top chasing infinite growth.

Reaction Score
Now that all regional rivals, cultural fits, academics, geography etc. are out the window why do conferences make any sense anymore?

It's all about money and brand. Why are we even continuing with this charade of conferences when half the brands suck in these few "power" conferences that are left and there are "power" brands which are still out there in non "power" conferences?
They really don’t. For uconn, the big East tournament is cool. After that, it’s whatever

Reaction Score
True. First it was the haves vs have nots conferences. Now it’s quickly becoming the haves vs have nots teams in those conferences (re Florida State). Problem is, who do the play to maintain their “have” status. Then the whole thing implodes and they start over.
Alabama is just another school without the SEC

Reaction Score
About 60-70% of the "power" teams are useless. They don't win, they don't invest in athletics, they don't have a big TV market, but they get a free ride because 80 years ago they joined this new fangled thing called an athletic conference which had no real implication at the time other than making it easy to build out a schedule. For these teams they get handed a big check of tens of millions of dollars every year simply because of history and not because of anything they've done to earn it. That system is not sustainable for those at the top chasing infinite growth.
This is why I’m not yet worried about UConn’s candidacy for what will be the 64ish programs that will be raptured. BC, Wake, Georgia Tech, Vanderbilt, Oregon State etc just need to go. We bring so much more to the table than a large majority of P5 programs

Reaction Score
The whole model will crumble sooner than people think. I'd give it 10-15 years tops before everyone's back in regional conferences. Realignment is merely a loophole that a handful of people exploited to get rich. Even fans of the schools profiting off it have started to notice there's nothing in it for them (this board, of course, does not).

Reaction Score
That won't happen. That's how it was. These are rights collectives. Don't think of them as conferences like they used to be. The are aggregators or intellectual property. That gives them the ability to work with media partners to engineer the most valuable matchups for broadcast. No single school is worth even 50% of what they are getting in the B1G or SEC.
And when their next bids go out in 2029 it won't be as big.

Reaction Score
This is why I’m not yet worried about UConn’s candidacy for what will be the 64ish programs that will be raptured. BC, Wake, Georgia Tech, Vanderbilt, Oregon State etc just need to go. We bring so much more to the table than a large majority of P5 programs
That's why conferences will be moving to unequal distribution models. Should a Clemson make more than BC, GT or Syra-? Of course. All conferences will eventually do the same. So, given your percentages, unequal distribution has to be the way forward or conferences will be dead.

Reaction Score
If UConn can gain entrance into a power conference, I think most of us agree that we need to accept the invite for near-term sustainability, even if we think the paradigm will eventually shift. The money is just too attractive to turn down at this point.

However, if we don’t think there’s a path to power conference membership, we need to find a way to monetize our brand in the near-term. Our basketball brand alone is clearly worth significantly more than what the Big East is paying us. Despite the disdain on this board for some of the corporate investment options, these options could eventually save our athletic department. I suggested Apple on another thread. They need content. We need money. I’m highly confident that Apple or another corporate entity (Netflix, etc.) can help to monetize the success we’re having in multiple sports. And they’re certainly able to pay more than CBS Sports Network. It’s complicated, but much less complicated than other situations which require a solution to the GOR issue.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom