Who's our rival | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who's our rival

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm going to catch sit for this but I wish we started playing Providence again. The "big boys" are probably not going to schedule us every year so it's hard to consider them a rival. Please don't ban me!

That rivalry died when Reagan was president. Please, let's not discuss this again!

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Kentucky.
We may have beat them the last two times in the tourney, but the world still thinks they are better than us and the squid is just such a snake oil salesman.
We may not be aching to beat FL,but they must be aching to beat us.

Three times. We beat UK in 2006 in the 2nd round.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
We're unrivaled, accept it.

Reaction Score
Miami had our number. Maybe they are our rival.

Last edited:

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Surprised no one had said SMU...they did beat us twice last year & deserve some payback IMHO

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
In my opinion, our rivals were Syracuse, Georgetown and even Pitt. We were uprooted and need new ones. Even though SMU beat us, I don't think they are our rivals, at least not yet. Louisville is gone.
I say KY. Yes we beat them. But does anyone think they are not a challenge? Does anyone not think Cal is worthy of wanting to rub victory in his face? Don't you think 7 McD all-americans at a time is reason for resentment?
Besides, a good case can be made that we are the two best programs in the country right now. That is a rivalry on an elite scale.

Reaction Score
The idea of SMU being a basketball rival is a bitter pill to swallow. I mean the 2 games we played are probably this first 2 games we have ever played. I really hope we start some series with current/former Big East teams even if a lot of them treated us like crap.

Reaction Score
If we stay in the AAC for any length of time I suspect Temple will become huge.
Last years team was an anomaly.I saw them knock The 2013 Cuse team off at MSG.
An alleged Orange home court.. That was a FF Cuse team .
It's got a true NE flavor ,NYC vs Philly . We're NYC
Locale , basketball tradition , trying to improve football.it has potential.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't think we have a rivalry right now.

For me:
Team I most want to beat: Louisville. It sucked losing to them three times last year.
Fans that I dislike the most: Cuse. It takes more than one fluke championship to justify the arrogance.
School that I dislike the most: BC unethical, cowards who can rot in hell.

But none of them are true rivalries.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Rivals are made from those teams that you play frequently and both sides win heated battles. This usually means a conference opponent or a team in close geographic proximity with whom you have a regularly scheduled game (i.e. UK & L'ville, previously IU & KU).

Reaction Score
the biggest rival we have ever had was and will always be.....the cuse. no matter what they don't do in march they are a top notch college ball program that is one state away from us. from the 80's to where we were the little guys to now where we are the big guys, from jimmy b vs. jimmy c and both of them becoming very good friends in the middle of it (a memory ill always have is when Calhoun won his 800th and they showed former players congratulating him on the big screen and then all of a sudden Boehiem pops up and Gampel didn't boo...they cheered. from the 6 OT game to our fans and their fans literally wanting to kill one another. we will always have that one ounce of respect for that program deep, deep down inside of us, and as they will with us. we had some good rides with them. and i will always consider them our biggest rival in our history. that being said....i don't feel clean that i just said all that about Cuse and now am going to take a shower at 3 AM.......duck* Cuse.

Reaction Score
We do not have a rival but there are certainly teams that we dislike and have had success with winning and losing. The truth is that it takes many years to find a foe and they are typically within the same conference. While UConn was in the Big East for many years we really just started a history of drama, dislike, competitiveness, etc. that is a rivalry, with Cuse. If the BE was around for another 10 yrs I think that could have brewed into something. No way we are in the AAC long enough to create a rival here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom