• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
This years World University Team or the U-19 Squad

U-19

Kristine Anigwe, Collier, Cox, Dangerfield, Durr, Mariya Moore (Louisville), Gabbi Ortiz (Oklahoma), Samuelson, Azura Stevens (Duke), Shakayla Thomas (FSU), Chatrice White (Illinois), Aja Wilson (South Carolina)

World University

Jordin Canada (UCLA), Nina Davis (Baylor), Diamond Deshields (TENN), Rebecca Greenwell (Duke), Chanise Jenkins (Depaul), Brionna Jones (Maryland), Erica McCall (Stanford), Aerial Powers (Michigan State), Courtney Range (Cal), Mercedes Russell (TENN), Sydney Wiese (Oregon State), Courtney Williams (USFlorida)

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Because of more experience and facing tougher competition, I chose WUG Team.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Agree with Wbb. Some serious talent on the U19 team with a smattering of college experience, but the team as a whole is just too young and inexperienced for the WUG

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yea, I'd have to go with the college players.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Yeah there's tons of talent on both sides but the WUG just has too much going for them. Still I think if it were something that was possible... I would certainly pay to see it.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Yea, I'd have to go with the college players.

There are just two high school players on the U-19..... the rest are either rising freshman or rising sophomores ;) That's 10 college players vs 12

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
There are just two high school players on the U-19..... the rest are either rising freshman or rising sophomores ;) That's 10 college players vs 12
That's enough.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I think the WUG would win the series... but it wouldnt be a 4-0 sweep.

Thought about a WUG vs Pan Am matchup poll..... but I figured that no one would give the WUG team a chance vs the Jefferson/Stewart led PAN Am team.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think the WUG would win the series... but it wouldnt be a 4-0 sweep.

Thought about a WUG vs Pan Am matchup poll..... but I figured that no one would give the WUG team a chance vs the Jefferson/Stewart led PAN Am team.
You're right.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I was looking at the Pan Am roster again.... and yeah.. they would sweep the WUG in a 7 game series...... they have the guards... wings.... inside play.... outside shooters... slashers.... scorers.... et al...

I think if this poll was taken next summer...... the results of this poll would be different.... or at least closer.

You're right.

On which part ?

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I can remember when Lew Alcindor's freshmen UCLA team beat the varsity. Just sayin'

Reaction Score
This years World University Team or the U-19 Squad

U-19

Kristine Anigwe, Collier, Cox, Dangerfield, Durr, Mariya Moore (Louisville), Gabbi Ortiz (Oklahoma), Samuelson, Azura Stevens (Duke), Shakayla Thomas (FSU), Chatrice White (Illinois), Aja Wilson (South Carolina)

World University

Jordin Canada (UCLA), Nina Davis (Baylor), Diamond Deshields (TENN), Rebecca Greenwell (Duke), Chanise Jenkins (Depaul), Brionna Jones (Maryland), Erica McCall (Stanford), Aerial Powers (Michigan State), Courtney Range (Cal), Mercedes Russell (TENN), Sydney Wiese (Oregon State), Courtney Williams (USFlorida)

University has a very powerful back court with proven big-time scorers and thus an edge, but I'm not sold on Nina Davis being able to outplay Aja Wilson, especially with Azura Stephens, Collier, Cox, and Anigwe for reinforcements.
Interesting to speculate about the starting line-ups if they met.
Durr, Moore, KLS, Azura, Aja?
Mitchell, DD, Greenwell, Davis, ___ ?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
University has a very powerful back court with proven big-time scorers and thus an edge, but I'm not sold on Nina Davis being able to outplay Aja Wilson, especially with Azura Stephens, Collier, Cox, and Anigwe for reinforcements.
Interesting to speculate about the starting line-ups if they met.
Durr, Moore, KLS, Azura, Aja?
Mitchell, DD, Greenwell, Davis, ___ ?

Actually Mitchell is on the Pan Am team with Jefferson and Stewart. As far as the possible lineups.... how about Ortiz, Durr, Moore, Samuelson, and Wilson .. vs Canada, DD, Powers, Davis, and Jones.

Reaction Score
No DD No greenwell I'll go U19 4-2. Better coaching better guards. Versatility of post players could cause problems for WUG with floor spacing. I believe the U19 could press the hell out of WUG team and have success with speeding the tempo of the game in their favor. Also, this is a 7 game series so I would say after the first two games experience is probably not as big as a factor as everyone is saying. And as my blue devil friend Tria pointed out its really not that big of a difference in terms of experience.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
U-19!

The WUG team did win gold but I felt watching their games they were missing something. Backcourt struggled most of the tourney with turnovers and poor shooting. Also noted that they didn't play collectively as a team for long stretches but instead did way too much one on one. Missed open players several times and were exploited at times defensively.

Maybe it's because I'm used to watching the unselfishness that is UCONN. Maybe not. But I'm still picking U19 over the WUG.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Went with the U19 because although they're younger, IMHO they have the better set of guards. Wasn't impressed with the overall guard play of the WUG team. With Both Canada and Williams you have to take the good with the bad, and they had plenty of bad minutes with turn overs and one on one play. Now if Diamond DeShields was completely healthy then might change my mind. I chose U19 even though most likely Katie Lou Samuelson won't play.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I changed my vote to the U-19 ....... If Deshields and Greenwell would have played..... I'd would have stuck with my original vote. Interesting to see how the votes changed in the past few weeks. At one time it was something like 17-2 in favor of the WUG. Even five hours ago it was 23-10 in favor of the WUG.

Reaction Score
I changed my vote to the U-19 .. If Deshields and Greenwell would have played..... I'd would have stuck with my original vote. Interesting to see how the votes changed in the past few weeks. At one time it was something like 17-2 in favor of the WUG. Even five hours ago it was 23-10 in favor of the WUG.
I gave my reasoning 5 hours ago. Coincidence? :rolleyes:

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I know this thread is about how the U19 team might fare against the WUG team, because everyone believes that the Pan Am team is by far the most dominant. But consider this interesting fact: the U19 scrimmaged against the Pan Am team on consecutive days. The U19 team won the first scrimmage 74-68 and the next day they kept the second very close (73-70).

LINK "In addition to intrasquad scrimmaging, twice the U19s took on the 2015 U.S. Pan American Women’s Basketball Team, which provided some serious competition. The U19 team won the first scrimmage 74-68 and then the next night lost to the Pan Am squad 73-70."

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I know this thread is about how the U19 team might fare against the WUG team, because everyone believes that the Pan Am team is by far the most dominant. But consider this interesting fact: the U19 scrimmaged against the Pan Am team on consecutive days. The U19 team won the first scrimmage 74-68 and the next day they kept the second very close (73-70).

LINK "In addition to intrasquad scrimmaging, twice the U19s took on the 2015 U.S. Pan American Women’s Basketball Team, which provided some serious competition. The U19 team won the first scrimmage 74-68 and then the next night lost to the Pan Am squad 73-70."
Yikes. I have no idea what happened to my link. Try this one: LINK

Reaction Score
U19 with at least three UCONN connections would be who I would pick... Maybe Cox can make it four

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I can remember when Lew Alcindor's freshmen UCLA team beat the varsity. Just sayin'
If anyone is the new Lew, it would be Stewie. He won 3 NCAA titles and is the all-time leading scorer in the NBA. He was one of a kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom