Where will she land?

• Duke

• North Carolina

• UConn

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Of South Carolina's ten players, there are only three seniors, one of whom(Pao Pao) is coming back for a fifth year.
I agree. SC will be top 3 preseason too. Their frontcourt will be great next season. If Sarah comes to Storrs I think our frontcourt could be comparable and I believe our backcourt could be the best in D1. I expect the preseason rankings to reflect this.

Reaction Score
Don’t get angry at me for saying the truth. If you were highly recruited and had an offer from UConn, would you honestly tell me you wouldn’t take what has happened at UConn the last 3 years as part of your decision? I know I would.

Injuries happen everywhere, but what has happened at UConn is unimaginable.
I have forgotten how to block nonsensical posters. Can someone please give me instructions.

Reaction Score
Next year, it will be Carolina, UCONN & Ohio State in that order, IMO... you might switch OSU for Notre Dame.

We too have a great backcourt coming back. Fulwiley may have a break out season. I will be interested to see how Adel Tac comes back from her high school injury. She's 6'6" so we'll see if she's the real deal.

Reaction Score
Well now we know the whole Duke picking up steam was a real thing. I'm just glad South Carolina and LSU are officially out!

Hope we can land her!
Yep. I figured this was going SC. I like our chances.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Basketball rules at UConn due to the great success of the women's and men's teams........Neither Duke or UNC can touch UConn when it comes to the level of interest in women's basketball...........only South Carolina and Iowa can..........I don't think many great players would prefer playing big games in front of only 2,000-3,000 fans........
Warning before you read my comment on this subject: I've got zero -- nada -- preference in the prospect pick.

That said, Duke (Lawson) and Banghart (UNC) are both constructing solid rosters in the hope that they'll build up solid audiences. UConn's was not built immediately, nor S. Carolina. Iowa has solid crowds that went over the tipping point with Caitlinmania.

If Sarah Strong comes to UConn, she'll walk into arena that is already gong to be at/close to capacity. At Duke or UNC, she'll put fannies in seats. Her call...

Reaction Score
Next year, it will be Carolina, UCONN & Ohio State in that order, IMO... you might switch OSU for Notre Dame.

We too have a great backcourt coming back. Fulwiley may have a break out season. I will be interested to see how Adel Tac comes back from her high school injury. She's 6'6" so we'll see if she's the real deal.
I like your thinking. It puts SC and UConn 1 & 2, and that could go either way. Fulwiley Tessa and Tac are promising though not fully proven. Same could be said of Jana Ice and Ayanna. Of course, no one in their right mind would say that Paige and Azzi are unproven. I like the depth of SC, especially in the front court, even if Cardoso leaves. Watkins Kitts and Feagin with Joyce Edwards sounds like a really good group. If everyone comes back healthy, the annual UConn-SC game will be something to see.

I also like ND for next year, even if their front court may not be quite the equal of these two. But their backcourt could be tremendous. I'm not as confident in tOSU without Sheldon. Cambridge and Ava Watson could be good additions, but it's otherwise a pretty thin recruiting class. McGuff will have to hit the portal, I suspect.

Reaction Score
I think the issue here is one of end result. At UCONN, the message is; "your UCONN experience will give you deep roots of friendship and connection. You will leave a better person and, likely, a better basketball player." Not sure what it is at Duke or UNC but it is more focused on the court, than off of it. So, that will define Sarah. The fact that she is still debating this suggests to me that the UCONN approach will not be what she wants. And to whatever extent her dad is impacting the choice, I think he'll want her to stay in the south.

As no one really knows what or when her choice will be, I’ll just say that, while I desperately want her to come to UConn to play with Paige, she seems to be a very nice person and I hope & pray that she will make the choice that is most likely to result in a happy four years! I hope she is able to make that choice without any pressure from other sources. Again, she seems like the most mature, grounded young lady I’ve seen in quite some time and I wish her all the best that life has to offer. (Hopefully at UConn)

Reaction Score
North Carolina and Duke have been added to the list since everyone had her going to UCONN. I think now that those two schools may hold an edge....but who knows.
We don't really know which schools were on her original list because she's never said anything about having a list. I think she did mention a few schools that were interested in her. I think she was always considering the two biggies in her backyard but, like you said, who knows?

Reaction Score
Don’t get angry at me for saying the truth. If you were highly recruited and had an offer from UConn, would you honestly tell me you wouldn’t take what has happened at UConn the last 3 years as part of your decision? I know I would.

Injuries happen everywhere, but what has happened at UConn is unimaginable.
No -- I wouldn't. I wouldn't have gotten to be among one of the arguably 20 best player's in the world for my age by being scared that I might get hurt being as young as I am. When you were 17 yo, were you scared of injury?

Reaction Score
I don’t know which school Strong will choose, but I don’t think she will come to Storrs. I hope I am wrong. But if you look at the history of UConn’s high school recruits the last 30 years, especially highly recruited kids, they tended to commit to UConn early if they decided to spend 4 years in Storrs.

As far as Lawson is concerned, she is a wonderful person, was a great analyst, her defense has been solid; however, her offense has been questionable. For some reasons, it has been hard for her players to score. I said questionable because she is in her what, 5th year, as head coach.

I don’t know anything about the coach at North Caroline. I can’t comment on her.

If I were her, and basketball is my priority, I’d go to UConn; if education, then Duke; if being the “man”, then NC.
The scenario you painted is not true in the last several years. Azzi Fudd and Christyn Williams are two examples of #1 High School players who came down to the wire of the first signing period. Megan Walker also. So not “early,” although it’s true that Paige did commit earlier.

Reaction Score

I too think that If Strong commits to UConn, we are likely preseason#1. If not? Probably two.

Reaction Score
The scenario you painted is not true in the last several years. Azzi Fudd and Christyn Williams are two examples of #1 High School players who came down to the wire of the first signing period. Megan Walker also. So not “early,” although it’s true that Paige did commit earlier.
CWill committed to UCONN in Nov. And when speaking of other top recruits. I believe both Brady and Patterson commited early. As did Caroline. As did Edwards. In the year CWill committed, Charlie Collier committed ealry too. And Mikayla Coombs committed early in Walker's year. These have been recent top recrutis. As did Olivia in CWill's season.

Reaction Score
Of course, it was my opinion. However, I tried to put myself in her shoe when it comes to making an important decision on her future. And you are right, only Strong knows what she wants.

Change of topic, Fairfield just edged out against Niagara in overtime in the championship game, 70-62. So happy for them. They are going to the dance! Hope they will make some noise like Quinnipiac did a few years ago.
Thanks for the feedback. NICE! And we surely agree about the O.T. result in Atlantic City, N.J. = Go Fairfield STAGS! Somewhere Lou Lopez Senechal is smiling, GO HUSKIES!

Last edited:

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
We don't really know which schools were on her original list because she's never said anything about having a list. I think she did mention a few schools that were interested in her. I think she was always considering the two biggies in her backyard but, like you said, who knows?
I didn't say "she" had a list. The media has ways of gauging interest right or wrong and UNC nor Duke seemed to be at the top of any list I saw. I think that speaks volumes that those are the two left standing along with UCONN. If they were wrong about all the others, and then they had UCONN there as well. That seems to be an "OK...she is from North Carolina and there are two North Carolina schools in there that the national media never put in as a possible landing spot....so". Strong played it close so who knows but I would be surprised if it wasn't North Carolina or Duke. Just seems too easy at this point.

Reaction Score
I like your thinking. It puts SC and UConn 1 & 2, and that could go either way. Fulwiley Tessa and Tac are promising though not fully proven. Same could be said of Jana Ice and Ayanna. Of course, no one in their right mind would say that Paige and Azzi are unproven. I like the depth of SC, especially in the front court, even if Cardoso leaves. Watkins Kitts and Feagin with Joyce Edwards sounds like a really good group. If everyone comes back healthy, the annual UConn-SC game will be something to see.

I also like ND for next year, even if their front court may not be quite the equal of these two. But their backcourt could be tremendous. I'm not as confident in tOSU without Sheldon. Cambridge and Ava Watson could be good additions, but it's otherwise a pretty thin recruiting class. McGuff will have to hit the portal, I suspect.
Fudd is unproven IMO. Fulwiley has played in almost as many games as Fudd (40 vs. 32 and counting) at the collegiate level, and has scored almost as many points too (520 vs. 379 and counting).

Reaction Score
I have never been to Cameron Indoor Stadium but it is said to be a fabulous on-campus basketball facility, Cameron Crazies, etc., Dick Vitale baby.

It seats 9314.

It often sells out.

For the men, that is.

I looked at the attendance figures for the games on the Duke WCBB website. Looks like the women sold out once this year, for the North Carolina game on Sunday, February 11. No other game came close to that.

I was shocked looking at the attendance figures for Duke WCBB games there this season. Many games with attendance around 2,000. Duke versus Notre Dame on Monday February 19 only drew 2485 there. NC State on Sunday, February 25 at Cameron drew a decent 4633.

Ten games with attendance under 2500.

By comparison, UConn drew over 14,000 to a weekday game on February 7 against Seton Hall.

Maybe Lawson is selling the notion that Strong, Fournier et al will create the buzz and bring the crowds to Cameron, but if there is a leap of faith in this whole process, seems to me that is it. Even if they move the needle somewhat, it will still be hard to even get the arena half-filled.

What big time player wants to play to an empty house?
A great thoughtful analysis. The women's game appeals to a somewhat different fan but includes many hybrid types like me that enjoy the effort, team play and winter activities.

Reaction Score
Warning before you read my comment on this subject: I've got zero -- nada -- preference in the prospect pick.

That said, Duke (Lawson) and Banghart (UNC) are both constructing solid rosters in the hope that they'll build up solid audiences. UConn's was not built immediately, nor S. Carolina. Iowa has solid crowds that went over the tipping point with Caitlinmania.

If Sarah Strong comes to UConn, she'll walk into arena that is already gong to be at/close to capacity. At Duke or UNC, she'll put fannies in seats. Her call...
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Duke's recruiting class and current roster full of 3/4s. I think Duke would be fun for Strong but not sure of the fit for everyone.
North Carolina has been a bit disappointing the past two years. They have 4 year players who have the option of coming back. But idk about their underclassmen. I was high on Paulina Paris but she hasn't really broken out yet. Then they got Toomey last year and I believe have a big coming in this year. But how competitive will they be with nc state and Notre Dame next year

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Duke's recruiting class and current roster full of 3/4s. I think Duke would be fun for Strong but not sure of the fit for everyone.
North Carolina has been a bit disappointing the past two years. They have 4 year players who have the option of coming back. But idk about their underclassmen. I was high on Paulina Paris but she hasn't really broken out yet. Then they got Toomey last year and I believe have a big coming in this year. But how competitive will they be with nc state and Notre Dame next year
Not to digress, but it will be interesting to see if Kelly or Ustby stay or move on (somewhere) next year. They do have a lot of height next year, which could open the door for Strong to do her thing.

Duke does have a not of tall shooting guards and wings, but I can see Strong working there, too.

But you're right: NC State is coming back strong, as is Notre Dame who are adding Center Kate Koval and return Olivia Miles, that "other" All-American point guard.

As noted, I'd hate to see Strong make NC and Duke stronger, but it will make for some heckuva ACC contests. And, as per usual with UConn, we'll see you come heck or high water in the winter. ;)

Reaction Score
It really doesn’t matter, however, because the chance of that scenario unfolding is exactly zero.
Scholarship numbers matter little with NIL

Top players don’t worry about playing time, especially HS #1. Alpa personalities… cherish competition or you don’t want them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom