who is this Nurse kid for Canada? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

who is this Nurse kid for Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What was amazing to me was UConn's late arrival at the Nurse recruiting sweepstakes. IIRC, Kia was already being recruited by several major US programs, and UConn (yes, Geno and CD!) was asleep at the switch. Then, once Geno entered the competition, Nurse enthusiastically accepted his offer.

Perhaps others have a more vivid recollection of events. If so, please post up.
IIRC, they thought she was a year younger. When they found out her actual year in school, they quickly went after her.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
IIRC, they thought she was a year younger. When they found out her actual year in school, they quickly went after her.

Funny. I never believed Geno's story.

There were several threads about her recruitment and I remember some saying UConn didn't need another guard and there was also the suggestion that UConn wasn't really recruiting her and she was just bolstering her stock by mentioning UConn (as if this kid would do that). Here a link to that truly bizarre thread: http://the-boneyard.com/threads/uconn-showing-interest-in-canadian-guard-14.42540/

The truth is that Kia Nurse's stock soared after a playing extremely well at the Boo Williams AAU tournament in April 2013. I sent a note to Jim Fuller suggesting that she sounded like a UConn type kid. Up to that point she was being recruited by Indiana (previous family relationship with Curt Miller) and some midwest schools. After Boo Williams, UConn, Tenn, Kentucky and others got involved. Geno knew then that Sadie Edwards was not going to be successful at UConn and he saw a guard he later described as "perfect." She was close to perfect last night.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Curt Miller at Indiana was after Nurse the earliest - see Cat's post here:
http://the-boneyard.com/threads/kia-nurse-recruitment-heating-up.44340/

Once UConn offered, it was pretty much over. She cancelled official visits to Tenn and UK after visiting Storrs.

I believed at that time that two factors came into play almost simultaneously: (1) the offer from UConn as part of a most positive visit to Storrs, which (2) made it logical to cancel the scheduled visits to Kentucky and Tennessee.

While visiting UConn, Kia (a biracial daughter of inter-racial parents) and her parents surely saw the wholesome atmosphere among players and parents in similar circumstances. If so, it does not stretch the imagination to believe that the Nurses (player and parents) could not be assured of such warmth in Lexington or Knoxville.

I have no inside knowledge to verify this; only an irresistible temptation to connect dots.

Reaction Score
The only bad thing is they only name 3 AA from 1 team and someone loses out like Morgan did this past year!They need to change that rule!

Reaction Score
Who is this Nurse kid? Before last night's game she was a rising star in Canadian women's basketball. Today she's a Canadian superstar. She's the kid who questioned whether or not she was good enough to play for UCONN when she was finally recruited. Her parents had to remind her that Geno wouldn't recruit her unless he thought she was good enough to play for the Huskies. She's the selfless kid with a habit of deferring to the more senior players, whether it be her UCONN teammates or her Canadian teammates. She's the "tough as nails" kid who decided to take the Canadian team on her back when they were down last night because she simply refused to lose. I have a feeling this young lady could do that anytime she so chooses. It will be interesting to see how this one game eventually impacts on her UCONN experience going forward. I somehow doubt this game opened Geno's eyes; I think he knew. As far as those who might diminish Kia's accomplishment because her national team beat a team of college players, I would say this. The USA is responsible for putting that team on the floor, a team that theoretically was supposed to be an elite group of college players. There probably wasn't a single player on that team who wasn't more highly regarded than Kia Nurse before last night's game; they are her older peers and she schooled them. Well, almost all. Kudos to Brianna and MoJeff for trying to accomplish the same thing Kia did with her team. Those two kids played their hearts out and they deserve all respect for their efforts . UCONN will have some squad next year! Will Maya and Diana crush Canada if they get the chance? Most likely but who cares? It's Kia's time until then and she earned it.

Reaction Score
How can you be satisfied with the result when the USA lost? I'm happy for Nurse, but she was playing for Canada not the USA. During the year when she is playing for UCONN I will root for her 100%.
I would have preferred we win too. But these kids are just tossed together at the last minute playing a much more mature cohesive Canadian team who have played together for years. No shame to come in second.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
What a poised and articulate young lady! An excellent example of the CD finishing school for media interviews. She is going to have an AMAZING season this year, you betcha!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have to say I get why they call her nurse. That was some sick basketball.

[Best I could do, but I know there's a good pun in there somewhere]

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I have to say I get why they call her nurse. That was some sick basketball.

[Best I could do, but I know there's a good pun in there somewhere]
We'll have to work on the puns. "Feel the Heal" comes to mind for now.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I hated to see this lady playing for the "bad guys" but how can you not smile?

kianursegold.jpg

Reaction Score
Here's a nice article on Kia from 2013. It mentions that Donovan McNabb played basketball at Syracuse, which I hadn't known.

"Uncle Donovan is just a phone call away," Nurse told me. "He's been through the most out of all of us, and if we ever need anything, he's the one to call."
While most remember McNabb as an All-Pro quarterback, he also played two years of basketball at Syracuse (where he met his Canadian wife), and was a reserve guard on the Orange's 1996 Final Four team. So his hoops advice counts for something too.
"He's always been willing to take [us] over the summer," Nurse said. "He's like 'I'll work on your jump shot with you.'"

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/ba...se-a-bright-star-for-canadian-basketball.html

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I know that as of now Canada has not qualified for Rio. They have an opportunity in August in Edmonton...they have to win that tourney
to qualify. I assume there are other chances down the road??? Maybe next spring? Anyone know for sure?

Reaction Score
The Edmonton winner gets the automatic bid, the next three teams go to the qualifying tournament a few weeks before the Olympics.
Handy-dandy guide here: http://fibaamericas.com/can2015/en/rio.asp

edited to add: It seems that Brazil as the host team, doesn't have an auto bid yet (FIBA decides next month?) which is why they play in the Americas tournament.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
IMO I think Mo and Stewie have now witnessed the oozing confidence of their friend and teammate and will now look to want to see her get more 30+ point games (unlikely, or else Stewie would have a dozen - but couldn't you see her numbers skyrocket?)

Also, IMO, I think tonite also really helped to concrete a lingering thought about next year's squad perhaps being the "greatest"

Finally, and not IMO as this is a fact, Kia is one powerful guard :cool:

Well, I guess we don't have to wonder if she's going to make that big leap of improvement from freshman to sophomore do we? It will be interesting to see her play this upcoming season. She sure looked happy during that gold medal game.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
Well, I guess we don't have to wonder if she's going to make that big leap of improvement from freshman to sophomore do we? It will be interesting to see her play this upcoming season. She sure looked happy during that gold medal game.
Doesn't her explosiveness remind you of how Kayla McBride would get to the basket? I smell AA very soon

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Doesn't her explosiveness remind you of how Kayla McBride would get to the basket? I smell AA very soon

Mere mention of Kayla McBride evokes memories of one of the very best competitors to ever play against - and torment - UConn.

I am posting at 2:18 a.m. If I go to sleep, further thoughts of Kayla McBride will surely induce nightmares. :eek:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I don't know about your other senses, but your sense of smell is working perfectly! :)

After her recent performance, I don't think Geno is concerned about where Kia's game has evolved to when official practice starts in October. I think that question has been answered. Geno will have other fish to fry come October.

Kia may have been in a zone during that gold medal game. When you're in a zone, the basket appears to be the size of a "hula hoop". Everything you throw up goes in. It doesn't matter who guards you. It's you, the ball and the basket.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01