Who is Geno’s top-five mystery recruit? | The Boneyard

Who is Geno’s top-five mystery recruit?

Who is Geno’s top-five mystery player commitment?

• Total voters
Reaction Score
According to @Sluconn Husky, in January, Geno said that he had commitments from two of the top five players in the country for next year (2024). Geno didn’t say if his comment was based on his own rankings or based on one of the ranking services such as ESPN HoopGurlz, Blue Star, ASGR, or Prospects Nation.

In early April, Geno said: “We're not going anywhere. And if you see who we recruited this year, and once you find out who's coming next year and the following year, we're not going anywhere."

These are intriguing comments by Geno.

2024 UConn commit Allie Ziebell is ranked 6 by ESPN HoopGurlz, but she was ranked 5 when Geno made his comments. She probably was one of the recruits that Geno was referring to.

Recent commit Morgan Cheli may be the other recruit that Geno was alluding to, assuming he was using his own rankings. If he using one of the ranking services, however, then Cheli wouldn’t fit the top-five description.

This leaves open the possibility that Geno has a quiet commitment, a so-called “silent verbal,” from another top player in the class of 2024.

Kate Koval is ranked 3 and Sarah Strong is ranked 5 by ESPN HoopGurlz, so they are two possibilities. Recent reports suggest that Koval is visiting universities and that her recruitment is still open, however.

Top ranked Jaloni Cambridge is another possibility.

Aside from Ziebell, who do you think is the other top-five player commitment that Geno was hinting at from the class of 2024?

2024 Player Rankings

PlayerESPN HoopGurlzBlue StarProspects Nation
Allie Ziebell*6309
Morgan Cheli*17NA14
Kate Koval3NA5
Sarah Strong5192
Toby Fournier134930
Juste JocyteNANANA
Jaloni Cambridge121

* 2024 UConn commit

Reaction Score
as much as I would love another top player in the program, Geno's comments are still open to question as far as I'm concerned......Strong or Koval would be my two top picks if it turns out to be true...

Reaction Score
According to @Sluconn Husky, in January, Geno said that he had commitments from two of the top five players in the country for next year (2024). Geno didn’t say if his comment was based on his own rankings or based on one of the ranking services such as ESPN HoopGurlz, Blue Star, ASGR, or Prospects Nation.

In early April, Geno said: “We're not going anywhere. And if you see who we recruited this year, and once you find out who's coming next year and the following year, we're not going anywhere."

2024 UConn commit Allie Ziebell is ranked 6 by ESPN HoopGurlz, but she was ranked 5 when Geno made his comments. She probably was one of the recruits that Geno was referring to.

Recent commit Morgan Cheli may be the other recruit that Geno was alluding to, assuming he was using his own rankings. If he using one of the ranking services, however, then Cheli wouldn’t fit the top-five description.

This leaves open the possibility that Geno has a quiet commitment, a so-called “silent verbal,” from another top player in the class of 2024.

Kate Koval is ranked 3 and Sarah Strong is ranked 5 by ESPN HoopGurlz, so they are two possibilities. Recent reports suggest that Koval is visiting universities and that her recruitment is still open, however.

Aside from Ziebell, who do you think is the other top-five player commitment that Geno was hinting at from the class of 2024?

2024 Player Rankings

Allie Ziebell*6309
Morgan Cheli*17NA14
Kate Koval3NA5
Sarah Strong5192
Toby Fournier134930
Juste JocyteNANANA
Jaloni Cambridge121

* 2024 UConn commit
I would love Juste but she's not ranked. Strong has parents with basketball background and I think she is the one. Jaloni is sandwiched between two pg before and after but she still would be the best one. Give me Sarah and Toby and that would be a great class. Add Juste and Geno isn't retiring for a long time!

Reaction Score
I've seen Breanna Stewart play once or twice and young Ms. Fournier for all of her athleticism is no Breanna Stewart.............or even Breanna Stewart lite.........:rolleyes:
I'm wondering if you saw Stewie play as a junior in HS-perhaps you did. I will say that the Toby I saw play against USA team last week was very, very impressive (except her FT shooting). You can't teach height, jumping ability and pure will and she has all those as a 17 yr old. Her body type and athleticism do mirror Stewie and she has a couple years to work on the shooting. With her playing for Kia Nurse's Elite team and also playing for the school Aaliyah did, I really like our chances and there is no doubt in my mind that she would eventually end of on the Wall of Honor:) C'mon Toby!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Probably no one. Nothing stays secret any more.

Well, either there is a player that Geno was referencing that has not publicly committed, or Cheli was that player and it was unknown for months. Either way, there is or was a recruit kept secret.

Geno's comments point to someone other than Cheli unless he was being really sloppy with his words which I tend to doubt.

Reaction Score

2024 Player Rankings

Allie Ziebell*6309
Morgan Cheli*17NA14
Kate Koval3NA5
Sarah Strong5192
Toby Fournier134930
Juste JocyteNANANA
Jaloni Cambridge121

* 2024 UConn commit
I believe at the time Geno made those comments, Strong and Cambridge were the only ones in the top five. I’m hoping for Strong!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I believe at the time Geno made those comments, Strong and Cambridge were the only ones in the top five. I’m hoping for Strong!

Cambridge was making the visitor rounds right after Geno's comments in January. Those visits did not include Storrs.

Reaction Score
I'm wondering if you saw Stewie play as a junior in HS-perhaps you did. I will say that the Toby I saw play against USA team last week was very, very impressive (except her FT shooting). You can't teach height, jumping ability and pure will and she has all those as a 17 yr old. Her body type and athleticism do mirror Stewie and she has a couple years to work on the shooting. With her playing for Kia Nurse's Elite team and also playing for the school Aaliyah did, I really like our chances and there is no doubt in my mind that she would eventually end of on the Wall of Honor:) C'mon Toby!
I've seen high school video of Stewie and she was already an overwhelming force inside with a combination of size, athleticism and shooting touch that was unrivaled even then...........she clearly developed her midrange and outside shooting at UConn making her one of, if not the most unique player in women's basketball..........in Fournier I see a smaller talented player with great jumping ability who will need to develop her midrange and outside shooting to become a major force in college.......comparing anybody to Stewie is like comparing somebody to Maya Moore......... it's a no win situation..........

Reaction Score
Another piece of the puzzle falls into place. Carl Adamec’s article today about Morgan Cheli says that she committed to UConn the weekend of February 4-5, which is after Geno made his remarks in January about having two top-five players next year.

It looks like Sarah Strong is the leading poll choice for the mystery recruit. It would be great if Geno could land Strong, Koval, and Fournier, but there aren’t enough scholarships available for all three of them. Juste Jocyte would be another excellent addition to the team, but it isn’t clear if she would be in the 2024 or 2025 class.

Reaction Score
I've seen high school video of Stewie and she was already an overwhelming force inside with a combination of size, athleticism and shooting touch that was unrivaled even then...........she clearly developed her midrange and outside shooting at UConn making her one of, if not the most unique player in women's basketball..........in Fournier I see a smaller talented player with great jumping ability who will need to develop her midrange and outside shooting to become a major force in college.......comparing anybody to Stewie is like comparing somebody to Maya Moore......... it's a no win situation..........
... and yet comparisons are still possible. Toby is not the talent Stewie was for a few reasons. But she is reminiscent of her in some respects: the long arms, the leaping ability, the shot blocking, and she is very competitive. Another player who reminds me of Stewie is Jana -- also long arms, runs the court well with good handles and a decent perimeter and midrange game. But being reminded of Stewie isn't the same as saying she's just as good. She just shares some qualities. I'm sure lots of SC fans thought Amihere would turn out to be a bit like Stewie, because she too is reminiscent of her, minus the overwhelming competitive drive. She is similarly tall and lanky with good handles and excellent floor speed. But that competitive drive is rare. Maya had it. Diana had it. Sue had it. Jen Rizotti had it. Rebecca had it. I think Paige has it. Nika, too. We'll see if any of the current freshmen has it.

Reaction Score
Well, either there is a player that Geno was referencing that has not publicly committed, or Cheli was that player and it was unknown for months. Either way, there is or was a recruit kept secret.

Geno's comments point to someone other than Cheli unless he was being really sloppy with his words which I tend to doubt.

Geno tends to think about what he’s going to say and how he says it so I doubt it too

Reaction Score
The two Geno top five recruits may have already verballed to UCONN. I know the rankings may not have them as top five, but in Geno's mind they are top five. I hope this is not the case since I would love it if Sarah Strong was the mystery recruit.

Reaction Score
Another piece of the puzzle falls into place. Carl Adamec’s article today about Morgan Cheli says that she committed to UConn the weekend of February 4-5, which is after Geno made his remarks in January about having two top-five players next year.

It looks like Sarah Strong is the leading poll choice for the mystery recruit. It would be great if Geno could land Strong, Koval, and Fournier, but there aren’t enough scholarships available for all three of them. Juste Jocyte would be another excellent addition to the team, but it isn’t clear if she would be in the 2024 or 2025 class.
I’ll be happy with Strong and one of Koval/Tac!

Reaction Score
I agree with your assessment of Stewie. When SNY picked DT as Number 1, --I've see then both live Uconn . Stewies freshman lull was longer than DT's ( the final game) except for the lull --I'd pick Stewie over DT. DT did have the edge in confidence.

Reaction Score
I agree with your assessment of Stewie. When SNY picked DT as Number 1, --I've see then both live Uconn . Stewies freshman lull was longer than DT's ( the final game) except for the lull --I'd pick Stewie over DT. DT did have the edge in confidence.
both great players but I'd take Stewie over anybody.....

Reaction Score
dumb question, but can't someone just ask Geno, Hey are these the two you had in mind or is there another? You don't have to name any names?

Reaction Score
dumb question, but can't someone just ask Geno, Hey are these the two you had in mind or is there another? You don't have to name any names?

I believe he's not allowed to speak about a recruit until after they've signed their LOI. If we hear any news before then, it has to come from the recruits themselves.

Reaction Score
He already said he had 2 top fives. He can certainly say I have another recruit lined up you have not heard about yet. No more revealing about names than what he said in January.

Reaction Score
I've seen Breanna Stewart play once or twice and young Ms. Fournier for all of her athleticism is no Breanna Stewart.............or even Breanna Stewart lite.........:rolleyes:

How many Stewart games did you watch prior to her senior year of high school? That's the comparison to make. In her 1st 3 years of HS Stewart took less than ten 3 pt shots total. She had no real outside shot because like Fournier she stayed in the paint. And Stewart was a low 30's% 3 pt shooter her 1st 3 years at UConn.
I'm not making any comparisons but you have to compare apples to apples.

Reaction Score
How many Stewart games did you watch prior to her senior year of high school? That's the comparison to make. In her 1st 3 years of HS Stewart took less than ten 3 pt shots total. She had no real outside shot because like Fournier she stayed in the paint. And Stewart was a low 30's% 3 pt shooter her 1st 3 years at UConn.
I'm not making any comparisons but you have to compare apples to apples.
I've seen most of the available video from her high school days...........Stewie was certainly not the finished player she would become in college yet she was already pretty much unstoppable..........I haven't seen that level of dominance from Fournier nor would I expect it as she doesn't have Stewie's size advantage...........also note that I said Stewie improved her midrange and outside shooting while at UConn......don't get me wrong, I'd love to see how the UConn coaches could develop Fournier but she doesn't need to be the next Stewie, just the best version of herself....

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom