Who has the most talent on the DL Yanks, Sox or Rays? | The Boneyard

Who has the most talent on the DL Yanks, Sox or Rays?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With so many injuries piling up the AL east may be decided by who's backups play the best.

Make your case below what team is missing the most talent right now?

If Nova hits the DL I would say them with Pineda, Robertson, Mo and Gardner.

Reaction Score
With so many injuries piling up the AL east may be decided by who's backups play the best.

Make your case below what team is missing the most talent right now?

If Nova hits the DL I would say them with Pineda, Robertson, Mo and Gardner.

Off the top of my head the Sox have Ellsbury, Crawford, Bailey, Youk, Dice-K , Lackey, Kalish and Bobby Jenks. The Sox take the cake here unless you subtract points for Lackey.

Reaction Score
Tampa has Fuld, Chirinos, Lobaton, Allen, Niemann, Longoria, Farnsworth and Jennings.

Boston hasn't gotten much recent production from Crawford, Lackey, Jenks and DiceK. Cook and McDonald are also on the DL.

I think Tampa is missing more value then the Sox.

Reaction Score
Tampa has Fuld, Chirinos, Lobaton, Allen, Niemann, Longoria, Farnsworth and Jennings.

Boston hasn't gotten much recent production from Crawford, Lackey, Jenks and DiceK. Cook and McDonald are also on the DL.

I think Tampa is missing more value then the Sox.

The only person on that list worth mentioning is Longoria. Most the other players on that list haven't had enough consistent success in the big leagues to be worth the value of 5-6 current/former All-Stars missing on the Sox.

Reaction Score
Niemann as a #5 starter is a better pitcher right now then either Dice K or Lackey. Jennings is one of the best young players in the AL. Farnsworth was solid as a closer and had as good if not better season the Bailey last year.

Jenks, DiceK, Lackey and Youk are all former all-stars but they all seem to be close to the end of the line. Past All Star games mean nothing today but bad contracts.

Reaction Score
Niemann as a #5 starter is a better pitcher right now then either Dice K or Lackey. Jennings is one of the best young players in the AL. Farnsworth was solid as a closer and had as good if not better season the Bailey last year.

Jenks, DiceK, Lackey and Youk are all former all-stars but they all seem to be close to the end of the line. Past All Star games mean nothing today but bad contracts.

Keep drinking the koolaid.

Reaction Score
Keep drinking the koolaid.

Koolaid Ha! All three teams are banged the hell up. And Baltimore is sitting pretty in the penthouse at the quarter mark. Boston vs. the O's should be a good matchup the next 3 games. It's just a matter of time before Buck's starters fall apart.

Reaction Score
Time to probably shut this thread down. The five outfielders the Red Sox planned to take out of spring training are now all on the DL. They're using a gold glove first basemen in RF. And that's not even counting Bailey and the injuries to either Dice K or Lackey. If one of them was healthy, they'd be the #5 and Bard would be back in the pen.

Reaction Score
Time to probably shut this thread down. The five outfielders the Red Sox planned to take out of spring training are now all on the DL. They're using a gold glove first basemen in RF. And that's not even counting Bailey and the injuries to either Dice K or Lackey. If one of them was healthy, they'd be the #5 and Bard would be back in the pen.

Do you really miss John Lackey? The guy who made 28 starts with a 6.41 era last year.

That Reddick in Oakland looks like a keeper.

Reaction Score
Do you really miss John Lackey? The guy who made 28 starts with a 6.41 era last year.

Reddick is as streaky as they come. Just like Adam Jones in Baltimore. Both of them swing at too many pitches and eventually will sink into deep slumps. Happens every year.

Reaction Score
The title of the thread is about Dl, Rays,Sox and Yankees and Reddick is none of those. So not sure where he fits in here. And Lackey sucked last year. But prior to that his worst era was 4.40. Which is fine for starter 5. So like Viking said, that would put bard in bullpen. Cant always go after one year stats. Then we'd all thing Longo was a .244 hitter like he was in 2011.

Reaction Score

Common sense would dictate that his high era last year was due in part to pitching with a shot elbow. I think Lackey himself even said he's been pitching in pain for a couple years, which unfortunately for Boston just happens to be the time they've signed him.
It's hard to believe you can fall off a cliff this fast and have Tj surgery and not think that his health had at least something to do with his rapid decline.

and don't forget before Dice K's TJ surgery he through back to back one hitters early last year, probably the best back to back starts he ever had in Boston. Perhaps he was turning the corner somewhat and then the elbow goes.

Regardless, that's just an add on to the fact that all 5 of their OF's that were supposed to break camp on are on the 15-day, 60-day or 7-day concussion DL....as well as Bailey. That's just crazy and perhaps historic. Not sure any teams top 5 OF's have everbeen on the DL all at once before.

Reaction Score
The title of the thread is about Dl, Rays,Sox and Yankees and Reddick is none of those. So not sure where he fits in here. And Lackey sucked last year. But prior to that his worst era was 4.40. Which is fine for starter 5. So like Viking said, that would put bard in bullpen. Cant always go after one year stats. Then we'd all thing Longo was a .244 hitter like he was in 2011.

Lackey's 4.40 era you mention was in 2010 so over the past two years in his 60 plus starts as a Red Sox he has given up over 5 runs per 9. He's awful, perhaps the worst starter in baseball and he will be making 16 mil per until 2014. Without that contract he is on the waiver wire. Lets not pretend the loss of Lackey is the reason the Sox are in last place.

Reddick is playing everyday and is off to a great start in a pitching friendly park. Awful small sample size in Boston to establish that he's "streaky" but typical Boston to kick a guy when he's out the door.

I don't know where Adam Jones fits into this. He has been a very steady player the past 3 years. His hot start is not really a surprise.

Reaction Score
I think the Sox have a solid lead right now. Ross and Sweeney are now on the DL giving them 7 outfielders plus numerous pitchers. By the way, I agree with the comment above on Lackey and posted something last year to the effect that I did not understand how a pitcher with such a solid history could somehow be that bad. I mentioned that I thought he would soon be on the DL.

I think that Buchholtz will be on the DL soon too.

Reaction Score
Lackey's 4.40 era you mention was in 2010 so over the past two years in his 60 plus starts as a Red Sox he has given up over 5 runs per 9. He's awful, perhaps the worst starter in baseball and he will be making 16 mil per until 2014. Without that contract he is on the waiver wire. Lets not pretend the loss of Lackey is the reason the Sox are in last place.

Reddick is playing everyday and is off to a great start in a pitching friendly park. Awful small sample size in Boston to establish that he's "streaky" but typical Boston to kick a guy when he's out the door.

I don't know where Adam Jones fits into this. He has been a very steady player the past 3 years. His hot start is not really a surprise.

Dice K was great in 2008, since then he has an ERA over 5. The Sox knew what they had coming out of ST starting pitching wise and choose to shuffle people around rather then pick up a couple backend starters.

Reaction Score

Awful small sample size? Just look at his minor league numbers. There's plenty of evidence that he's a streaky hitter. He's always been a streaky hitter.

Adam Jones is a good player. He's also extremely streaky too. I'm not saying his hot start is a surprise, far from it. But his AVG/OBP will fall in the coming months since he hardly ever walks. He's like Adam Dunn...just swings at everything.

Reaction Score
Dice K was great in 2008, since then he has an ERA over 5. The Sox knew what they had coming out of ST starting pitching wise and choose to shuffle people around rather then pick up a couple backend starters.

Dice K's numbers in 08 are almost a fallacy. Yes, lots of wins. But he consistently was unable to pitch more than 5/6 innings. He put a lot of people on base. And to say that John Lackey is the worst starter in MLB is just ludicrous (which is not surprising coming out of your mouth). There are plenty of teams that would love to have John Lackey at the back end of their rotation. If he ever returns to a better form (after TJ surgery/recovery), I doubt there would be a team that wouldn't want him.

Reaction Score

How big is your sample size where you're basically just looking at his first 6 weeks with the A's? The guy has been streaky ever since he's been in the minors as the other poster stated.
Again, we're talking about the loss of a healthy lackey. If you refuse to believe that he may have been pitching with a bad elbow the past year plus, than I guess we're never going to see eye to eye on this so let's just move on.
The point remains the Sox are without their top 5 OF's and their closer. I'd say they have more injuries than any other team easily.

Reaction Score
Awful small sample size? Just look at his minor league numbers. There's plenty of evidence that he's a streaky hitter. He's always been a streaky hitter.

Adam Jones is a good player. He's also extremely streaky too. I'm not saying his hot start is a surprise, far from it. But his AVG/OBP will fall in the coming months since he hardly ever walks. He's like Adam Dunn...just swings at everything.

The Adam Dunn who has a .374 lifetime OBP? The guy who has walked over a 100 times in a season 7 times? But he swings at everything huh?

Adam Jones last 3 seasons...pretty consistent with gold glove level D. It's not crazy to assume he will have a career year this season at 26.
2009: .277/.335/.457
2010: .284/.325/.442
2011: .280/.319/.466
I could care less if Lackey has been hurt for the 60 starts he's made as a Red Sox. His ERA has gone up for 5 straight years. He has thrown 1800+ innings and is an old out of shape 33. I hope he does work his way back he gives my team a better chance of beating Boston.

Lackey has 3 years left on his deal at 46 mil. I'm sure teams are beating down Ben's door to pick him up. This guy makes AJ Burnett look like Bob Gibson.

Reaction Score
The Adam Dunn who has a .374 lifetime OBP? The guy who has walked over a 100 times in a season 7 times? But he swings at everything huh?

Adam Jones last 3 seasons...pretty consistent with gold glove level D. It's not crazy to assume he will have a career year this season at 26.
2009: .277/.335/.457
2010: .284/.325/.442
2011: .280/.319/.466
I could care less if Lackey has been hurt for the 60 starts he's made as a Red Sox. His ERA has gone up for 5 straight years. He has thrown 1800+ innings and is an old out of shape 33. I hope he does work his way back he gives my team a better chance of beating Boston.

Lackey has 3 years left on his deal at 46 mil. I'm sure teams are beating down Ben's door to pick him up. This guy makes AJ Burnett look like Bob Gibson.

Whatever Sinkhole, clearly we'll never see eye-to-eye on this matter. But as far as the original question goes, it's clearly the Red Sox. If you want a real unbiased, tweet a sports reporter. I guarantee you they'll tell you the Sox are more depleted.

Reaction Score

Not saying the loss of Lackey is why the Sox are in last place. You keep straying from your original post about who had more talent on the DK. You just keep changing the topic of this tread to get under everones skin.

compare 2010, the last year both pitchers were healty.
GS IP W L ERA WHIP HR BB k
Lackey 33 215 14 11 4.40 1.42 18 72 156
Niemann 30 174 12 8 4.39 1.26 25 61 131

Seems pretty close to me. So one can't be a good #5 starter and the other a bumb. Now I kown you'll go to the contract, but were not talking about salary, were talking about talent on the DL. Sox blow away Ray in that catagory.

Reaction Score
Not saying the loss of Lackey is why the Sox are in last place. You keep straying from your original post about who had more talent on the DK. You just keep changing the topic of this tread to get under everones skin.

compare 2010, the last year both pitchers were healty.
GS IP W L ERA WHIP HR BB k
Lackey 33 215 14 11 4.40 1.42 18 72 156
Niemann 30 174 12 8 4.39 1.26 25 61 131

Seems pretty close to me. So one can't be a good #5 starter and the other a bumb. Now I kown you'll go to the contract, but were not talking about salary, were talking about talent on the DL. Sox blow away Ray in that catagory.

Why go back to 2010? How about a couple weeks ago when Niemann gave up one run to the Yanks in 7 innings? Niemann was pitching well this year in his 7 starts he has an era of 3.38. Niemann is clearly a more valuable pitcher then the washed up Lackey and DiceK. Funny the way everyone in the nation wanted Lackey gone last year now all of a sudden he has value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom