Who has more FB NC's since 1980? tOSU,Clemson, BYU, Tenn, Colo, PSU? | The Boneyard

Who has more FB NC's since 1980? tOSU,Clemson, BYU, Tenn, Colo, PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
PSU has two and the rest have one (AP or BCS voting). In the world of college football why is it if you win one, or in PSU's case two NC's in 30 years, and you have all this "tradition'?

It's been 25 yrs or so since PSU won their last. tOSU has one in 31 years. Tennessee the same.

The older talking heads live in the past. The new, younger talking heads, don't want to go against to old talking heads so they can "fit in".

Just don't get it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_football_national_championships_in_NCAA_Division_I_FBS

Reaction Score
Tradition is about much more than just wins and losses. Obviously winning helps build a positive tradition.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I believe that if you put 105k+ fans in the stadium for every home game you can claim some gravitas and veritas.

Reaction Score
Because they don't just win, or play for titles. They win a lot of regular season games, play in a lot of high profile games and produce a lot of great players that can get to the next level. For the most part. they are also teams that when lead by the right coach. can be a threat to win another title. USC was blah for about 20 years, same with Alabama. They get the right coach and look what happens-championships. That fact can't be overlooked in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Tradition is about much more than just wins and losses. Obviously winning helps build a positive tradition.

Yeah, the Universities of Indiana, Purdue, Washington State, Mississippi State and Kentucky all are steeped in Tradition. NOT, maybe hoops but not football. Reason? W's & L's, less of the former, more of the latter.

Reaction Score
It is really no different than any other sport. Why is Kansas a basketball blueblood? They have won the same number of NCAA titles as UCONN, except there were 36 years between their first and second, and 20 between their 2nd and 3rd. Why is Indiana? They haven't won a National Championship in 24 years. UCLA? Sure they dominated the 1960s and first half of the 1970s but usuing your 1980 cutoff, they have exactly one title. Fact is it goes way beyond just winning championships. It is about being there year in, year out. Playing big games, being the center of attention for fans. It is about other stuff too...why was UCONN's victory over a .500 Notre Dame team considered by casual fans and even some pretty serious ones, as the biggest victory in its history? In basketball, Kansas has been to a Fianl Four in every decade since the 1940s except the 1960s, and the 2010s so far. In football Ohio State has won 34 Big Ten titles, have an all time .716 winning percentage, 7 national championships (the focus on national chapionships in college football is a relativly recent phenomonon, by the way. Until pretty recently it was "mythical" and rarely did a matchup of #1 vs #2 occur in the bowls. Until the late 1970s the final poll occurred BEFORE the bowls were even played and some teams occassionally passed on bowl games while some simply didn't play in them at all. Notre Dame didn't play in bowl games until the mid-70s as a matter of school policy). Bottom line is that until the 1980s conference championships and records and even rivalry games were seen as much more important indicators of football sucess than was a mythical national championship.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Colorado doesn't belong on that list, but the rest have at least 30 years of playing in big bowl games, drawing huge home crowds, generating high TV ratings.

That and most were doing so going back to the 50's. That is tradition, and it can not be had overnight.

Recent upstarts like Oregon and Boise get their shine from winning, 9-10+ games a year for the last decade. Whether they continue to do so or end up like Colorado or Pitt as a below average program that once had a heyday remains to be seen.

A BCS level win for Uconn in the next 3 years would do wonders for our "tradition" prospects. Wins over Michigan and Tennessee would help too. Loses to anyone else save Wvu hurt the cause. Big time programs don't regularly lose to Vandy, Temple and W. Michigan. They also don't bother to play teams like Umass that provide no recruiting benefits.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
I think the part that is missing we've talked about many times is not just the winning, but the length of time these programs have had to indoctrinate GENERATIONS of fans. Titles that span a few decades even with intervening dead periods seems to be enough juice to keep the aura of a great program going. These schools that turn out thousands of new grads over the last 70 years coupled with some success has resulted in filling 100k seat stadiums nearly regardless of current success. Think that if Miami has a top ten finish ever, everyone will forget that they sucked ass for an entire decade? UConn can get there but unfortunately we really are just behind the times by about 80 years. My apologies to ass suckers, no offense.

Reaction Score
Penn State hasn't been contending since 1999. It's been a full 12 years at this point. BUT, PSU has also had 4 undefeated seasons that haven't resulted in national championships. That 1994 team was one of the best I've ever seen. In other words, I wouldn't emphasize championships so much in a sport that doesn't have playoffs.

Reaction Score
For me, tradition is like art (not sportsart). You can't describe it, but you know it when you see it.

When I think of college football tradition, I think of large stadiums full of enthusiastic fans... Bands playing fight songs and there are hated and long standing rivalries. College game day is a way of life, not an excuse to power drink in the parking lot and hang around chit-chatting under a scoreboard.

As some people said above, it has a lot to do with more wins than losses, but it also must happen over a period of time. It is a culture that needs to develop naturally and really take root.

We're certainly further along than other BCS programs, but we have a long way to go.

Reaction Score
upstater, I think that is exactly what I was getting at, too. Penn State is a good example. Notre Dame is another. They have been playing in "big" games since the 1920s or before. They didn't become a legendary program by finishing 5-7 every year. And you can find huge games throughout their history. 1913 they beat Army in the first game using the forward pass as a serious part of the offense. (Touchdownhusky, in attendance, predicted that this would be the future for every school but UCONN). Ended Oklahoma's 47 game winning streak in 1957, 1946 game with Ohio State won by ND on a 50 yard pass on the final play by a backup quarterback named Bill Shakespere (you can't make thiks stuff up). The 1970 Cotton Bowl vs Earl Campbell and undefeated Texas. Catholics vs Convicts. That is the stuff of legends as they say. And you can look at any of the"blue blood" programs and they have those kinds of games, those kinds of moments. So far we have a couple, Notre Dame (1st team to win on its first trip to ND Stadium, USF, but we sure don't have anywhere near as many or any over a 100 year history.

Reaction Score
Penn State is a good example. Notre Dame is another. They have been playing in "big" games since the 1920s or before. They didn't become a legendary program by finishing 5-7 every year.
Unfortunately UConn is playing catch up after spotting big time college football about 80 years. And, unfortunately too, is the fact that in today's landscape they need to catch up fast.

And you can find huge games throughout their history. 1913 they beat Army in the first game using the forward pass as a serious part of the offense. (Touchdownhusky, in attendance, predicted that this would be the future for every school but UCONN).
One of the funniest jabs in a long while. Good one. Unfortunately mabe to prophetic. Anyway it was a great game that day back in '13, high octane offenses the wave of the future.

Ended Oklahoma's 47 game winning streak in 1957, 1946 game with Ohio State won by ND on a 50 yard pass on the final play by a backup quarterback named Bill Shakespere (you can't make thiks stuff up). The 1970 Cotton Bowl vs Earl Campbell and undefeated Texas. Catholics vs Convicts. That is the stuff of legends as they say. And you can look at any of the"blue blood" programs and they have those kinds of games, those kinds of moments.
So far we have a couple, Notre Dame (1st team to win on its first trip to ND Stadium, USF, but we sure don't have anywhere near as many or any over a 100 year history.

Again because UConn and much of the northeast spotted these programs a huge head start, the priority has to become shortening the "tradition curve".

Reaction Score
PSU has two and the rest have one (AP or BCS voting). In the world of college football why is it if you win one, or in PSU's case two NC's in 30 years, and you have all this "tradition'?

It's been 25 yrs or so since PSU won their last. tOSU has one in 31 years. Tennessee the same.

The older talking heads live in the past. The new, younger talking heads, don't want to go against to old talking heads so they can "fit in".

Just don't get it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_football_national_championships_in_NCAA_Division_I_FBS
Yeah, but it make it since 1987, Penn State is eliminated completely!

Reaction Score
Again because UConn and much of the northeast spotted these programs a huge head start, the priority has to become shortening the "tradition curve".
That's true for sure, but it is at least theorietically possible to do that. I mean Florida State didn't even play football until 1947. Miami was nothing special until the 1980s. A bit of a run in the mid- 50's when Don bosseler played there and again in the early 60's when George Mira was the quarterback, but nothing much before that or after until Kosar's team upset Nebraska in the Orange Bowl. Boise State has certainly earned a place in the national spotlight. I would say the 2 things that would move UCONN, not really into the elite, but to the next level would be a big upset win over a name program (Michigan would be a good start), and a big upset win in a BCS bowl game...beatin gOklahoma last year would have totally changed the view of the program.

Reaction Score
Harvard is the true 1908 champions. Did research on that. They've been retroactively awarded a championship by a BCS "computer".

De-facto championship game was in New Haven, Harvard winning by the score of 4-0. The last year a field goal was worth 4 points. This site explains Harvard's case very thoroughly.

http://tiptop25.com/champ1908.html

Reaction Score
That's true for sure, but it is at least theorietically possible to do that. I mean Florida State didn't even play football until 1947. Miami was nothing special until the 1980s. A bit of a run in the mid- 50's when Don bosseler played there and again in the early 60's when George Mira was the quarterback, but nothing much before that or after until Kosar's team upset Nebraska in the Orange Bowl. Boise State has certainly earned a place in the national spotlight. I would say the 2 things that would move UCONN, not really into the elite, but to the next level would be a big upset win over a name program (Michigan would be a good start), and a big upset win in a BCS bowl game...beatin gOklahoma last year would have totally changed the view of the program.

Correct. Good analysis. UConn can get there and get there sooner rather than 60 years from now. For UConn it starts I believe with the right coach (i.e., a terrific recruiter) and is fueled by an exciting brand of football that captures the interest of diehard & casual fans alike (the U was a prime example in the early 80's not to far remove from when the wanted to eliminate the sport). How good was their hire of Howard Schnellenberger?

Reaction Score
Yeah, but it make it since 1987, Penn State is eliminated completely!

If we had stopped this thread at 1:19 PM we would have eliminated the possibility of having to read your post.

Reaction Score
. How good was their hire of Howard Schnellenberger?

It has to rank as one of the best hires of all time if you think about it. I can only imagine what his career would look like had he stayed at Miami.

Reaction Score
The fact that OSU is even included in that list kills this theory. They won national championships back in the 40's and 50's in addition to his man winners,etc. If being a powerhouse for 70 years does not equate to tradition I am not sure what would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom