Who else plays good defense? | The Boneyard

Who else plays good defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I thought Stanford's defense was pretty good. Is there a team with a tougher team defense out there?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I thought Stanford's defense was pretty good. Is there a team with a tougher team defense out there?
So hard to tell this early in the season. Every team is getting used to the stricter rules. I would think it would hurt teams like Rutgers, Tennessee, L'ville, maybe ND, and a few other teams who played a much more physical version of defense. That's not to say teams like UCONN couldn't bang with the best of them, but defenders will no longer be able to impede the offensive team's movement and flow around the court, and teams like RU and Tennessee who have traditionally struggled on offense, and who's offense comes mainly from in your face defense, will be the most impacted.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I can only speak about RU's one game so far...we were called for 20 fouls and most of those were in the first half, once we got use to it when didn't foul that much. Although we didn't use the 55 press at all, CVS said they are still working on it.

But for the most part I think CVS and all the staff stresses to play defense with their feet, and not their hands. As for our defense, it's not there yet. We gave up 65 points, which made it look closer than it was.(Princeton went on a turn in the last 2 mins or so to close the gap from 21)

Now we'll see if we can win on the road tomorrow.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Duke will be interesting to watch re: defense. We'll see how they adjust to the officiating etc.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think Stanford and ND are probably the standard bearers for well coached defense at this point added to the fact of familiarity with what Uconn wants to run.

Reaction Score
Do we play ND this year? I was just wondering if this is the toughest defense we will see.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Good plan, make the young players beat you. I thought Tara took her best shot.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score

Ya, I liked the defense I saw from Stanford. Obviously they didn't have the firepower to keep up with UCONN, but they looked better than I anticipated they would. I'm not so sure Tennessee can come out with a win against them at Maples if we continue to play sloppy like we have been..

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
wht Du

Why Duke?

Just because of JPM's yearly focus on defense, and the talent level they have this year when healthy.... (Chelsea Gray makes a big difference). I'm interested to see if they can finally execute their D at a level that they need to to slow teams like UCONN or Stanford down. So far, they haven't, but their defense is probably a lot closer to being good than their offense :p

Really, there's only a handful of good, talented teams this year that are even remotely interesting when discussing the final four, etc. And I'm not saying they will slow us down enough to beat us, but they should at least be improved with Gray back in action.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Just because of JPM's yearly focus on defense, and the talent level they have this year when healthy.... (Chelsea Gray makes a big difference). I'm interested to see if they can finally execute their D at a level that they need to to slow teams like UCONN or Stanford down. So far, they haven't, but their defense is probably a lot closer to being good than their offense :p

Really, there's only a handful of good, talented teams this year that are even remotely interesting when discussing the final four, etc. And I'm not saying they will slow us down enough to beat us, but they should at least be improved with Gray back in action.

I've never been impressed with Duke's defense, particularly given how much they like to talk about it. UConn has always been able to get the shots it wants against Duke.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

COLD BLOODED

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Yeah, Duke and Tennessee are two teams that love to talk about their defense, but I haven't been impressed with Duke's in the past few years, and after seeing Tennessee yesterday, well...

I'll take ours pretty much any day. Or Notre Dame. Stanford played pretty good defense too, considering their young team.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

COLD BLOODED

noidea.gif

hehehheheheheheh.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I do think Duke does well with their defense - their problem is with that tricky part of the game - putting the ball in the basket - against good defensive teams. And when they shoot poorly as they have against Uconn in the past it allows for teams to attack before the defense can get fully set - that is what Uconn tends to exploit. And once Uconn gets comfortable the half court offense also clicks and you get the blow outs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom