Who do you "Need to Know" ?? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who do you "Need to Know" ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The five.... KML, Stewie, Thomas, Sims and Ogwumike. Others may be featured as the season develops.
That's actually a pretty good 5.

Reaction Score
Great stuff, David. Thanks again.

I liked what you said about Reeve being unafraid to get in the face of her superstars during games (tho I do think she might have her own "precious"). Let's face it, she probably did it to Maya more than any of the other Lynx players. There are some who saw that as a sign of weakness in Maya's game; I saw it as a sign of strength in Maya's character. Mechelle Voepel recently said Maya is a star without star attitude.

I liked your question to Anucha about the east coast being left out of regional hosting. Her answer didn't address your point, but glad you raised it.

Thanks!

Regarding Reeve, I remember talking to her when she was first hired. I asked her about being a defensive minded coach with an offensive minded team. Her response was then they won't be here. I loved it then, and still do, and the way she goes after Maya reminds me of Geno. I think Reeve will be an assistant coach to Geno on the USNT.

Yes, I sort of expected the non-answer from Anucha, but I needed to tell her directly I thought the idea was terrible! Her quickly saying that the change to top 16 hosting rounds 1 & 2 would lead to neutral regionals gave a little more of an answer in my opinion.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Thanks!

Regarding Reeve, I remember talking to her when she was first hired. I asked her about being a defensive minded coach with an offensive minded team. Her response was then they won't be here. I loved it then, and still do, and the way she goes after Maya reminds me of Geno. I think Reeve will be an assistant coach to Geno on the USNT.

Yes, I sort of expected the non-answer from Anucha, but I needed to tell her directly I thought the idea was terrible! Her quickly saying that the change to top 16 hosting rounds 1 & 2 would lead to neutral regionals gave a little more of an answer in my opinion.

I enjoyed the whole podcast -
I was surprised to have two Uconn players in the list of five and obviously they could have chosen a number of others.
On the regional question - I found it interesting as she implied they got bids, had nobody for the west coast and went back out to solicit a site - not sure why that would happen and yet they would be content to leave east and south out of the equation. Given the generally slim pickings for west coast teams why the need to find a location there and ignore the much stronger eastern seaboard.

Reaction Score
Some exciting freshman coming to the scene.. Mercedes Russell, DeShields, and Kaela Davis should be three to see.. I know I will watch..

Upperclass..Stewart, KML, Simms, Williams, Maggie Lucas (one of the most exciting players to watch)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Why not adopt a very simple policy of having one regional in each of the four time zones of the contiguous 48 states? Simple way to spread things out. And ESPN should love it!

So, yes, there are more sites in the east than in the Rockies, but first round games will mostly go there.

Maybe not an ideal solution but worthy of discussion.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Some exciting freshman coming to the scene.. Mercedes Russell, DeShields, and Kaela Davis should be three to see.. I know I will watch..

Upperclass..Stewart, KML, Simms, Williams, Maggie Lucas (one of the most exciting players to watch)
Stewart is only a sophomore. I know, it's not fair.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I think the chosen five -- Sims, Ogwumike, Thomas, KML and Stewie -- are the most deserving among many talented wcbb players. Sims (ahem, one "m") and Chiney were deservedly unanimous AA's last year and Thomas is a terrific player. Although not seniors, KML and Stewie have already demonstrated extraordinary ability. Five superb choices.

Inclusion of freshmen based on HS achievement is about as reliable as earmarking for HoF induction those baseball "phenoms" who show up every spring in Florida.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Just listened to the podcast. Regarding the physicality changes, it sounds like it is a plan to help the mediocrity out there and penalize aggressive defense. Won't it be fun when a big game is decided by a ticky-tack foul. A lot of the other stuff sounds good. I am just a little troubled with the notion of making defenses ease up (or at least be less aggressive) because kids can't shoot. Would prefer kids work at shooting. There a lot of tough, strong girls out there in the game. Ask them if they need coddling like this.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I have a feeling I'm not gonna like "Need to Know" any better than I did "Three to See".:mad:

I find people's negative reaction to the Three To See goofy. There's a general complaint that women's basketball doesn't get the attention it deserves. Then someone comes up with an advertising plan that GETS women's basketball attention, and all they can do is gripe. Can't win for losing, I guess.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I find people's negative reaction to the Three To See goofy. There's a general complaint that women's basketball doesn't get the attention it deserves. Then someone comes up with an advertising plan that GETS women's basketball attention, and all they can do is gripe. Can't win for losing, I guess.
Just because it is attention doesn't mean it is good or helpful. Three to See or 5 to Know is excessively reductionist. There are far, far more stories that are worth telling.

But I understand the ESPN tightening of budgets now is forcing minimalist approaches to things. After all, they seem to repeat some of their programming 20 times a week and tons of it is the same groups of talking heads saying nothing or long collections of best plays or worse plays numbing the audiences until they can't change the channel.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score

Oh, I agree completely that WBB needs & deserves more attention. And, if the advertising powers-that-be had broken out "3-to-see" at the start of last season, as an intro to the season, with periodic updates, I suspect I'd've been fine with it. My objection was, "they" opened the season with Three To See, and then seemed to ride that horse - and, only that horse - the whole dam' season. It seemed like that was the only advertising theme, the only promotion - with little update or adaptation as the season went on. It irked me because it became so repetitive, so inflexible, so unimaginative, and it permeated the entire seasons' commentary on the 2012-2013 season. It was like listening to a bunch of parrots squawking "Three To See! Three To See! WWraaaaaauk!"

I think the dictated fixation on those three players robbed other players and other programs of deserved attention. I think that it gave announcers and pundits an excuse not to think or look any further, and not to actually pay much attention to how the season was actually playing out. It was almost as if "the powers that be" said to themselves, "OK, we did our obligatory WBB promotion, and now we don't have to do anything else". It was lazy and superficial.

TJI, it did get attention for WBB,, but, by the end of the season, it was like watching the same commercial, over and over again. Not only do you tune it out, but, you come to acquire negative feelings towards the product.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Why not adopt a very simple policy of having one regional in each of the four time zones of the contiguous 48 states? Simple way to spread things out. And ESPN should love it!

So, yes, there are more sites in the east than in the Rockies, but first round games will mostly go there.

Maybe not an ideal solution but worthy of discussion.

I think if you look at regional teams each year you would find a large majority hail from the two eastern time zones vs. many fewer from mountain and pacific. As in 12 to 4 kind of ratio so ... I think geographically it makes more sense to have an eastern/midwestern bias with 3 of 4 and only one rockies/pacific location.
On edit - it also allows for a north/south distinction in the east/midwest which I think is valuable. The three 'eastern locations this year are pretty central on a N/S axis as well as being pretty far west.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom