Who are the 3 pt guns next year? | The Boneyard

Who are the 3 pt guns next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Boatright has never been a gun from the 3 but he does have potential. I dont think Purvis is known as a great 3 pt shooter. Omar Calhoun has potential IF he can get his shot back. Cassell only shot 32% from 3 in JC but it seems like he has potential as does Facey from the looks of it--this might be the question do we have the 3 pt shooting that l;ast year's club had with Giffey Daniels and Napier.

Reaction Score
Boatright, Hamilton, Cassell Jr., and Omar should be good. Purvis should be making some and Facey as well.

Reaction Score
Surprised you mentioned Kentan Facey but forgot Daniel Hamilton. Think it'll be among these players: Boatright, Purvis, Hamilton, Calhoun, and Cassell, Jr.

Reaction Score
A ton of question marks, to be honest.

Boat shot it well last year, should be around 35% -- enough to make the defenses honest, but I wouldn't consider him a "gun".

Purvis is more of a slasher, 38% mark at NC State notwithstanding.

Cassell isn't much of a shooter and might not play much anyway.

Omar -- even discounting last year's abysmal performance -- was only 32% his freshman year.

Daniel Hamilton could be an excellent shooter, but he's never played at this level.

It's going to take a lot of better-than-expected performances to replace the excellent shooting we got from Bazz, Giff, and DD. Of course, we should be able to score better in other ways than we did last year.

Reaction Score
A lot of question marks, to be honest.

Boat should be a steady 35% -- enough to make a defense honor it, but not lights-out, guaranteed-to-make-you-pay shooting

Purvis shot decently at NC State, but doesn't have a reputation as a shooter and is coming off of shoulder surgery

Omar wasn't great (32%) his freshman year, nevermind last year's disaster

Cassell isn't much of a shooter

Hamilton could be a great shooter, but he's never played at this level

It's going to take a lot of guys exceeding expectations for us to replace the excellent shooting we got from Bazz, Giff, and DD. On the other hand, we'll have an easier time scoring in other ways.

Reaction Score
We certainly have a lot more IFs than last year with regard to the three.
But even last year:
Napier was as expected
Giffey was better than expected
Boatright was better than expected
DD was better than expected
Even Kromah made a few
Omar wasn't as ready to come back as we expected.
So let's see who steps up this year.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
we're going to need a lot more points in transition this year then we did last. we certainly don't have the array of shooters we had last year.

Reaction Score
we're going to need a lot more points in transition this year then we did last. we certainly don't have the array of shooters we had last year.
Should be one of the fastest teams in the country so that is not that tall an order

Reaction Score

Boat should be a steady 35% -- enough to make a defense honor it, but not lights-out, guaranteed-to-make-you-pay shooting

Purvis shot decently at NC State, but doesn't have a reputation as a shooter and is coming off of shoulder surgery

It's going to take a lot of guys exceeding expectations for us to replace the excellent shooting we got from Bazz, Giff, and DD. On the other hand, we'll have an easier time scoring in other ways.

True, but going into last year who would have envisioned Giffey and DD being as lights out as they were from the 3 point line? Guys get better, Boat, Purvis, and Omar have all had an offseason(in Purvis's case 2 offseasons) to continue to develop their 3 point shots. As for Cassell, not sure where you got the notion that he's not a shooter from, much like his father, his game revolves around his jumper.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Big question . It remains to be seen. Boat is the only guy 3 point shooter i could think of based on seeing him play. Some key players left and we have a bunch of new people. Also, Boat is "new" to his upcoming role and a 2nd year Brimah is still kinda "new".

My guess is it'll be about 8- 12 games before things kinda settle and KO knows his starters, role players and sub.'s. It's a deep group of good players we have with three Ferrari's. There'll be inner battles for playing time and I bet that most early practices and scrimmages will be far more competitive than at least 5 -8 regular season games. We may not need the 3 pt shooting we had last year because the post game should be better.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Cassell is known to be a very good 3pt shooter. Same with Hamilton.

Reaction Score
I bet we'll see better outside shooting from Mr. Boatshow, just thinking that this final year has to be for him to do all he can to of course provide a stable and winning PG role, but also to do all he can to make himself "NBA ready". Since he's undersized by a long margin, I bet he has been told he will have to be more of a threat from long range.

So I'd put my paycheck on the fact that he will be spending solid time this summer working on his 3pt shot outside of college range, and we just have to hope the work he puts in pays off.

I can't express how anxious I am to see him take the floor this coming season. I fell in love during the end of the season, he was playing PERFECT basketball for who he is. No longer was it a bad decision followed up by an amazing play to make up for the previous error, it was just all smart play.

Reaction Score
new rip is very poor high school 3 ball man; check his records, this was posted many moons ago in detail; however he shoots approx. 45% overall

new wave cassell is looking poor from distance in Waterbury summer tilts

Reaction Score
Thread is somewhat depressing as I don't have an answer. I didn't think about this till now. We really don't have a proven gunner (yet).

Interesting to hear what others think.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Should be one of the fastest teams in the country so that is not that tall an order
Can't run if you have to hit the boards with all five - which is what we did from January onward last year.

The more I look at this team, the more I feel like our ceiling will be defined by Facey's development. If he can be a serious rebounder, that means one of our wings can leak out in transition. If he can make 18-footers and the occasional 3, that means room for our slashers. If he can be a lockdown 1-v-1 defender, that means more freedom for Amida or Phil to protect the rim.

It's Boat's team, and Purvis is the Ferrari. But Facey's the one who will determine if we're a top 10 team, or on the fringes of the top 25.

Reaction Score
chipola jr clg stats indicate cassell jr is not a 3 ball man

That being said, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that he was the number one focus for opposing defenses and probably took a lot of contested shots. Obviously that won't be the case this year so there's a chance that he could shoot a higher % from 3 with more open looks. We shall see.

Reaction Score
I have learned that you never know what kinds of players you have till they are in a Uconn unit and on the hardwood. That said- we have Boat who should improve. D Ham might be our best hope of replacing DD but he'll be a freshman. It would surprise me if that is our strong point next year. We look like a "drive to the basket"type team- just hope we have a couple of shooters to keep the floor open.

Reaction Score
I have learned that you never know what kinds of players you have till they are in a Uconn unit and on the hardwood. That said- we have Boat who should improve. D Ham might be our best hope of replacing DD but he'll be a freshman. It would surprise me if that is our strong point next year. We look like a "drive to the basket"type team- just hope we have a couple of shooters to keep the floor open.
Agreed, this team just needs a couple guys who will keep the opposing defense honest and be able to knock down that open look fairly consistently when it comes their way.

Reaction Score

i dont know if you actually saw any of cassells games but the ones i saw all he seemed to do was shoot from distance.

pj

Reaction Score
Last year's team was outstanding from long range, we won't be as good this year. But we will be faster for sure. It will be interesting to see what the coaches can make of this team. It has talent to work with.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
More than half of Cassell's attempts at Chipola were three-point attempts - he hit about 33%. Not sure he was completely the focus of the opponent given that Cinmeon Bowers was also on the team. I'll tackle him if he tries to average seven three-point shots a game here.

On the flip side, he converted a terrific percentage of his two-point attempts and he hits free throws at over an 80% clip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom