Which NCAA member institutions will close at the end of the 24/25 school year? | The Boneyard

Which NCAA member institutions will close at the end of the 24/25 school year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
This academic year (23/24) seven NCAA schools are closing.

Five are in Division 3, and two are in Division 2.

Anyone have any guess as to how many close next year and who the lead contenders may be?

Reaction Score

Anyone have any guess as to how many close next year and who the lead contenders may be?
someone had put out a list of institutions on financial watch, but I recall it was behind a paywall so I never saw the names

basically any small/medium non-elite private liberal arts college is at risk

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
someone had put out a list of institutions on financial watch, but I recall it was behind a paywall so I never saw the names

basically any small/medium non-elite private liberal arts college is at risk

Yes and no. A lot of them will merge up and get rid of overhead in the process and be fine. That is a lot harder to do at some of the big state schools. WVU is one I would watch.

Reaction Score
Yes and no. A lot of them will merge up and get rid of overhead in the process and be fine. That is a lot harder to do at some of the big state schools. WVU is one I would watch.
I find it hard to believe that any land grant university in any state will close. Each state will have one flagship. I guess that status could shift to another in the state though.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I think WVU will be fine. Another thing I have been wondering about is will smaller state schools in Division 1 and 2 drop to Division 3 to cut costs and bring in more tuition revenue? CCSU and SCSU come to mind.

Reaction Score

can you list the 7 that are closing, for a point of reference?
I'm curious about public vs private, size, location

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I find it hard to believe that any land grant university in any state will close. Each state will have one flagship. I guess that status could shift to another in the state though.
I think WVU will be fine. Another thing I have been wondering about is will smaller state schools in Division 1 and 2 drop to Division 3 to cut costs and bring in more tuition revenue? CCSU and SCSU come to mind.

Do you know anyone that actually goes to WVU? I do, and it has become a mess. Last year, WVU eliminated 9% of majors, all foreign language programs, and 16% of full-time faculty. While WVU will not close its doors, it may have started a doom loop that could result in it being a significantly diminished university.

I do not think most people on this board understand the magnitude of the challenges facing higher education in a declining student environment and a market where students are pursuing fields dramatically different from those their parents' generation pursued. It is not just going to be the University of Bridgeports that take it on the chin.

Reaction Score
WVU will not close but it will certainly be near the bottom academically.

State Universities will need to continually invest in technology and facilities to thrive in a hyper competitive academic environment.
The public schools that partner with private industry will be near the top.

Reaction Score
Do you know anyone that actually goes to WVU? I do, and it has become a mess. Last year, WVU eliminated 9% of majors, all foreign language programs, and 16% of full-time faculty. While WVU will not close its doors, it may have started a doom loop that could result in it being a significantly diminished university.

I do not think most people on this board understand the magnitude of the challenges facing higher education in a declining student environment and a market where students are pursuing fields dramatically different from those their parents' generation pursued. It is not just going to be the University of Bridgeports that take it on the chin.
Administrative costs are driving up the cost of a college education. It is not the cost of teaching. That said, if you look at the degrees granted by major, you will see some majors have 1 to 4 graduates per year even at UConn. Some of the majors were more popular in the past and you have tenured professors that are hard to cut back. So, you have some departments with over staffing and some growing majors that are understaffed. What WVU did will happen at a number of large state universities although it may not be as large scale.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Administrative costs are driving up the cost of a college education. It is not the cost of teaching. That said, if you look at the degrees granted by major, you will see some majors have 1 to 4 graduates per year even at UConn. Some of the majors were more popular in the past and you have tenured professors that are hard to cut back. So, you have some departments with over staffing and some growing majors that are understaffed. What WVU did will happen at a number of large state universities although it may not be as large scale.

If you walked around a newsroom in 2000, I am sure there were plenty of writers that said "this Internet thing is not going to affect us". The higher education industry is on that cliff, except the drop down is a lot bigger and the rocks at the bottom are a lot harder. This is not about a few majors being shut down, this is about a fundamental overhaul of an industry that has become bloated and wildly overpriced.

Forcing the Tier 3 schools to rationalize their offering and become more efficient is going to have an impact on the top schools too. Why will someone pay $100,000 for a degree in Medieval Literature at an elite private school and maybe be employable upon graduation, when that person can get an accounting degree from Central for $30,000 and definitely be employable upon graduation? Every school is going to be dramatically impacted by the changes that are coming.

Reaction Score
Heard on the radio that the state of Vermont averages about 5900 graduating high school students per year, with less than 1/2 attending collage post graduation. School such as UVM and WVU rely heavily on out-of-state students. Believe UVM has a 70% out-of-state student body. WVU has a fairly large student population from New Jersey as though students use WVU as a backup when they can't get into their first choice private schools in the Northeast.

Reaction Score
can you list the 7 that are closing, for a point of reference?
I'm curious about public vs private, size, location

Wells College near Syracuse

Notre Dame College near Cleveland

Here are 6 more:

Reaction Score
Heard on the radio that the state of Vermont averages about 5900 graduating high school students per year, with less than 1/2 attending college post graduation. School such as UVM and WVU rely heavily on out-of-state students. Believe UVM has a 70% out-of-state student body. WVU has a fairly large student population from New Jersey as though students use WVU as a backup when they can't get into their first choice private schools in the Northeast.
Had to correct a spelling error.

Reaction Score
WVU will not close but it will certainly be near the bottom academically.
Agree, but suspect other West Virginia public universities may either merge with others and/or just kick the bucket. Marshall, maybe STEM-oriented West Virginia Institute of Technology, and potentially HBCU WV State may be somewhat better positioned, or hold stronger political/public support. Small WV state schools (West Liberty, Bluefield, Fairmont, Shepherd, Concord, other ?), hmmm

Reaction Score
You have to feel for the kids who need every opportunity to succeed - especially in a economically distressed state like WV

Reaction Score
You have to feel for the kids who need every opportunity to succeed - especially in a economically distressed state like WV
WVU is in a power conference. They have a golden umbrella. They will not be downgraded. I believe West Virginia has the highest incidence of drug addiction in the nation. They could care less about academics, along as football has a home.

Reaction Score
A lot of them will merge up and get rid of overhead in the process and be fine.

Seems like the only thing I've heard are schools closing or managing to get acquired by a much larger neighbor, in part just for the land/buildings. (eg, Pine Manor and BC, Wheelock and BU, etc)

Reaction Score
Federalizing the student loan program under President Obama has contributed to the death spiral many schools will be facing if they aren't already. They were seduced by the easy money just like the students.

The students didn't worry about how much their tuition, room and board would cost nor how likely they were to get a good paying job in some esoteric major because it was easy money. The schools didn't fight their unionized faculty on wages and benefits because they, too, were getting easy money. All the while the Federal government was adding requirements that necessitated reporting or documenting that they were meeting all standards set in new rules or regulations. Think Title IX and the like in many areas besides sports.

Now, students are figuring out they'll never get a decent job or make make enough money with their Master's Degrees in Ancient Egyptian Musical Instruments or African American Studies to repay their loans and, as word gets out, fewer students will make the same mistakes and that will effect enrollment.

My cousin's son-in-law got a PhD in Political Science from a well regarded private New York area university and had a really tough time finding a full time teaching job. He had a wife who worked and two young children but wouldn't look for anything but a teaching job. When I asked my cousin why he doesn't look to get into an organization that runs campaigns or does polling or whatever else he might qualify to do he said he's only interested in teaching. Nice attitude. That didn't fly 30 years ago but that's today's reality and that's what will lead to the demise of more and more schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy

Top Bottom