when you're about to criticize ollie | The Boneyard

when you're about to criticize ollie

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
think of these first: he lost two of his best players to the draft (lamb and drummond), his whole front court left, the team is learning new plays that are going to take a lot of time to get down to perfection, the AD has done nothing to help with ollie's future which is hurting recruiting badly and adds more pressure on him... Ollie is doing a great job with what was left for him and the nature of the program. can we can not have any more ollie threads blaming him for games and saying he needs to go or whatever until the end of january at least (i've seen more than i need to, to say he should be signed to a 3/4 year contract)... it just gets annoying to see the same thing posted just in different threads every day, takes up room on the board... for the starting line up id like to see bazz, boat, giff, DD, wolf... wolf is really coming a long, giff hustles nonstop and for him and dd to be on the wing for a kick from bazz or boat would be nice, dd can post up on his guy and work on that... that is all, exciting season can't wait for big east play

Reaction Score
Watch Texas play Gtwn and see what 12.5 years of head coaching at one school, big time recruiting budget/area, $2mill in salary gets you and tell me you wouldn't take the 8 head coaching games experience Ollie over the 800 game Barnes. Texas was disorganized the entire game, scored 41 points and quit - and lost by double digits to Chaminade.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I guess Rick Barnes' "Providence" heritage really showed last night.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is the least talented team since Chris Smith's junior year (that lineup was Smith, Pikiell, Sellers, Burrell, Walker with Gwynn off the bench). And the talent is going to get worse. The program has lost 2 recruiting classes, and I think it is 50/50 that Ollie bails at year end if he is successful.

Warde Manuel is the worst thing that ever happened to UConn athletics. I would take Jeff Hathaway back in a heartbeat compared to this doofus.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
think of these first: he lost two of his best players to the draft (lamb and drummond), his whole front court left, the team is learning new plays that are going to take a lot of time to get down to perfection, the AD has done nothing to help with ollie's future which is hurting recruiting badly and adds more pressure on him... Ollie is doing a great job with what was left for him and the nature of the program. can we can not have any more ollie threads blaming him for games and saying he needs to go or whatever until the end of january at least (i've seen more than i need to, to say he should be signed to a 3/4 year contract)... it just gets annoying to see the same thing posted just in different threads every day, takes up room on the board... for the starting line up id like to see bazz, boat, giff, DD, wolf... wolf is really coming a long, giff hustles nonstop and for him and dd to be on the wing for a kick from bazz or boat would be nice, dd can post up on his guy and work on that... that is all, exciting season can't wait for big east play
I'm not bothered by those posts because then someone like you comes out and writes a coherent and well though out rebuttal. Just keep rebutting.

Based on your observations with EW and NG I say we get us some more Germans. For that matter it's time we get a few Israelis. And I suggest a couple of Palestinians. Then we could give the world the middle finger for not figuring out how to co exist.

Reaction Score
This is the least talented team since Chris Smith's junior year (that lineup was Smith, Pikiell, Sellers, Burrell, Walker with Gwynn off the bench). And the talent is going to get worse. The program has lost 2 recruiting classes, and I think it is 50/50 that Ollie bails at year end if he is successful.

Warde Manuel is the worst thing that ever happened to UConn athletics. I would take Jeff Hathaway back in a heartbeat compared to this doofus.

Pikiell?? He was long gone by then as he played in the NIT semi at the Garden I believe didn't he vs Barros?

Reaction Score
I'm not bothered by those posts because then someone like you comes out and writes a coherent and well though out rebuttal. Just keep rebutting.

Based on your observations with EW and NG I say we get us some more Germans. For that matter it's time we get a few Israelis. And I suggest a couple of Palestinians. Then we could give the world the middle finger for not figuring out how to co exist.

Five*****

אם היה אי פעם זמן כדי שזה יקרה עכשיו יהיה אותו הזמן. תאר לעצמכם שפר או יונה אחרת?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Pikiell?? He was long gone by then as he played in the NIT semi at the Garden I believe didn't he vs Barros?

Pikiell was a medical redshirt during the dream season, and came back for his fifth year in 1990-1991. I think he had some kind of shoulder injury that caused the redshirt, because when he came back he couldn't shoot, so he didn't. It is amazing that team made the Sweet 16.

Reaction Score
That was an 8/9 game wasn't it?
Is that the game he went for like 20 and then hurt his shoulder?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There is not a single player on this team that is, as of right now, better than 50/50 to play in the NBA. Napier is a very good college player, but if he wants to play, it will most likely be overseas. Daniels has a shot to develop into an NBA player, but he would have to steepen his developmental curve quite a bit. There has not been a UConn team like that since before Calhoun got here.

Reaction Score
How about.... Remember that these same players, PLUS Lamb, PLUS Roscoe, PLUS Oriakhi, PLUS Drummond, coached by hall of famer Jim Calhoun, still kinda stunk up the joint last year.

To expect more than we're getting from this team is a bit ridiculous. They were right there with a pre-season top 10 team. You really expect more than that ?!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Didn't that team beat Shaq on the way to the Sweet 16?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Didn't that team beat Shaq on the way to the Sweet 16?

By 17 I think. And then beat Tyrone Hill's Xavier team in the next round. Chris Smith was an amazing college player and the team got some breaks that year.

Reaction Score
Good post and I agree with almost everything. I still don't blame the AD for not immediately giving him a long term deal. He is still a relatively unproven coach. Having said that, I too have seen enough that it is time for a three year extension. I saw almost nothing I didn't like in the NC State game except the final score. We played a very good team tough and did not slack off at all. I liked Ollie's reaction when a player game out after making a mistake. He would put his arm around him and talk to him before sitting him down. He is encouraging his players and that will have an impact down the road. Ollie is completely different that JC but he is a keeper.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score

you really think ollie would bail, after he donated 100k to the practice facility and said that he is uconn basketball?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Good post and I agree with almost everything. I still don't blame the AD for not immediately giving him a long term deal. He is still a relatively unproven coach. Having said that, I too have seen enough that it is time for a three year extension. I saw almost nothing I didn't like in the NC State game except the final score. We played a very good team tough and did not slack off at all. I liked Ollie's reaction when a player game out after making a mistake. He would put his arm around him and talk to him before sitting him down. He is encouraging his players and that will have an impact down the road. Ollie is completely different that JC but he is a keeper.
yeah agreed with keeping ollie definitely... and i understand people were skeptical of signing him after 3 games or so but there are enough reasons to sign him and people not affiliated but other universities and tv are saying this is the guy, i know hell have his bumps in the road come the big east primarily bc of our lack of front court but if he can start recruiting things will starting picking up pace in a good way fast

Reaction Score
Look at this Roster ... and contract it critically versus UConn teams over the last 15 years.

I won't say Olander, Wolf or Giffey wouldn't get scholarships. But, given what I see on the floor, they would not have gotten many minutes. All 3 will develop better with real playing time. But, they would not be core players on most of our last 15 teams.

Boatright & Napier are unique Guards for UConn. They throw me back to remembering Joey Whelton & Al Weston. In the Calhoun era, we rarely had scatback like smaller guys like this. We have physical tough Guards. I like both of these guys. It is interesting that they have arrived here in Storrs together.

DeAndre Daniels & Phillip Nolan are unrefined talents ... IMHO. They both will grow & develop because they will get minutes. They both would be deep on the bench through most of the last 15 years. They are seeing far more time this year. Daniels is not a complete D1 player ... YET.

RJ Evans? We have had RJs in the Calhoun era; more so, IMO, with the early years - Lyman DePriest, Bobby Ussery. A solid Glue guy. But, rarely on the court for most of Calhoun's last 15 years.

Omar Calhoun: I am willing to keep watching. But, he reminds me most of Rashamel Jones ... with an added dimension of a solid Set shot in 3 distance. Athletic. Hustles. Better Basketball IQ than Rashamel. But, he is not the light-out stud that some of our 6-5/6-6 guys have been. Name names? Is he a Rip or is he even a Denham Brown?

No Stud Power guy. No Jeff Adrien.

So as we watch & love the intensity & fortitude, I am thinking that we are watching a seriously diminished talent base. Yes, the 1990-1991 team. And, that Ollie is getting us close to results speaks highly of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom