When will Cashman be fired? | The Boneyard

When will Cashman be fired?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Still like the Granderson for Coke, Jackson and Kennedy trade?

That series was a disgrace for the Yankee brand.

Reaction Score
I sadly agree with you Sinkhole, but my sense is that Girardi has more risk than Cashman of being removed. This was not just a Detroit issue, the crew had very few hits in the Baltimore series. Who knows, maybe they all come back next year and just repress what happened in October.

Reaction Score
Still like the Granderson for Coke, Jackson and Kennedy trade?

That series was a disgrace for the Yankee brand.

Coke still sucks.......he's a decent lefty who just looked real good against an exceptionally awful hitting team who you and I could have gotten out.........Kennedy came back to earth this year and no matter he didn't have the balls to pitch in NYC so who cares..........now Jackson, pretty much a 4 tool guy for sure vs Granderson is a good question at this point.........The Grandy man of last year is a great trade, the one who struck out 1000 times this year including the playoffs where he was beyond worthless, well that's another story.......guess we'll see how he bounces back before we call this one still........

As far as Cashman he will need to answer the cluster of "old" contracts on his payroll with some being huge trouble.........the Yanks are a bunch of .240 hitters who depend on the HR and it came back to haunt them........at some point you need to figure out when it's time to take a hit (2-3 years) and start fresh..........now may be the time to unload, eat contracts and get some youth in return.........

Real interesting winter for Cash while he tries to keep his job..........

Reaction Score
Can't discount the truly awful Detroit series, but keep things in perspective. The Yankees still did win the AL East, and had the best record in the AL with quite a few key injuries. Tampa Bay and the Red Sox? I don't like all of Cashman's trades (I didn't like the Granderson trade) but the team does stay in contention every year, not an easy task no matter how much money is spent. And some moves did work out very well - Ibanez, Kuroda, Ichiro.

I don't think either Cashman or Girardi are in trouble. If George was around, Kevin Long would already be fired. But Hal is much calmer. I am troubled by the continual infighting in the front office. Randy Levine, hired as a Guiliani aide to smooth the politics of the new stadium, now fancies himself a GM too.

The infield is pretty set in stone, but the team does have some flexibility in the outfield, rotation and behind the plate. Interesting questions for me - will Pineda pitch (and pitch well) next year, who will replace Swisher (not a Gardner fan), what happens at closer and with Soriano, and how far out will they have to go for Cano (Boras will ask for the moon and 10 years, notwithstanding the 0-29 or so)?

Reaction Score
This figures to be a very interesting off-season with both the Yankees and the Red Sox needing to make significant changes. What a wonderful time to be free agent. The Yankees need to deal with an aging roster, the Red Sox with a talentless (with a few exceptions) roster. I don't know much about the Yankee farm system but there is not a lot of immediate help for Boston.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Yeah, if only the Yankees could have the brilliant Tampa brain trust. Drafting in the top 5 for a decade, you should get some prospects. Try drafting 35th.

The TB front office is good, but its hysterically overrated. You should get good players when you draft that high. Look at the draft the year after Tampa won the pennant- they were in the same spot in the draft Cashman usually is, and they did a HORRIBLE job. Three of their first four picks have stunk up the minors. There is not one solid prospect on this entire list. It's kind of amazing.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/d...r&team_ID=TBD&year_ID=2009&draft_type=junreg&

By comparison, Cashman picked one spot in front of the Rays in the first round and took Slade Heathcott, a guy who has had injury issues, but when healthy, has shown he can be a really good player with star potential. Runs like his hair is on fire and has great range in the OF.

Reaction Score
Tampa also lost Gerry Hunsicker who's got a great rep, who was a key aide to Friedman, to the Dodgers.

Reaction Score
I will take the Rays drafting over any team in baseball. Price, Moore, Shields, Niemann, Cobb and Hellickson are all home grown. Small market teams can't afford to sign risky free agent pitchers, by doing a great job of drafting Tampa has remained a contender on avery limited budget and has won the third most games in baseball since 2008. Tampa's window to win a championship is wide open while the Yanks will have remake the team with eminent departure of Mo, The decline of ARod, CC's elbow and the question mark of Jeter ever playing an effective shortstop again. Longoria when healthy can carry Tampa on his back-just check the win-loss with him in the lineup. The vastly overrated Cano has shown no such ability to do the same. I would not trade the 2013 Rays for anyteam in the AL.

Reaction Score
The problem with trying to sign players this off season is there really isn't much in the FA market so players would have to be acquired via trade.
The Yankees will try to move Arod (if he agrees). It is time for Jeter to move to 3B so if they can move Arod (and he agrees), the Yankees would be looking for a SS. The Yankees will try to move Arod as quickly as possible so Jeter can go to spring training and work on adjusting to play 3B.
The Sox best hope is to sign a power hitter, probably an outfielder or 3B. It seems that they are content to let Elsbury play out his contract. They have to hope Bucholz and Lester have good years and some of the young pitchers come along. The Sox have a lot more ifs than the Yankees because the Yankees starting pitching is pretty good and that will get them a bunch of wins.
I doubt that the Yankees will be as good next season mostly because of age. The Sox probably couldn't get any worse and it would be a major surprise if they contend for any part of the season.

Reaction Score
I will take the Rays drafting over any team in baseball. Price, Moore, Shields, Niemann, Cobb and Hellickson are all home grown. Small market teams can't afford to sign risky free agent pitchers, by doing a great job of drafting Tampa has remained a contender on avery limited budget and has won the third most games in baseball since 2008. Tampa's window to win a championship is wide open while the Yanks will have remake the team with eminent departure of Mo, The decline of ARod, CC's elbow and the question mark of Jeter ever playing an effective shortstop again. Longoria when healthy can carry Tampa on his back-just check the win-loss with him in the lineup. The vastly overrated Cano has shown no such ability to do the same. I would not trade the 2013 Rays for anyteam in the AL.

No one is criticizing Tampa's past draft success. All people are saying is it's much harder drafting at the end of a round than at the beginning. Heck, look at how smart Washington is. ;) Keep drafting guys like Price when 20 teams pick before you, and I'll be impressed.

Reaction Score
2011 ROY Jeremy Hellickson drafted 114th overall, James Sheilds drafted 466th overall, Matt Moore 245th overall, Alex Cobb 109th overall, Jake McGee 145th overall, Wade Davis 75th overall, Desmond Jennings 209th overall.

Reaction Score
Longoria when healthy can carry Tampa on his back-just check the win-loss with him in the lineup. The vastly overrated Cano has shown no such ability to do the same. I would not trade the 2013 Rays for anyteam in the AL.

I guess you didn't pay attention to the last 10 games of the season when the Yanks were holding off Baltimore.

43 AB 24 Hits 11 Runs 7 2B 3 HR 15 RBI's and a .556 BA

Nope, didn't carry the Yanks at all Sink.

Reaction Score
3-40 in the 2012 postseason with one walk. 45-203 for .222 career in the postseason. He dogged it all over ther Trop in Sept quitting on running out balls to first and not diving in the field at crunch time. The guy has a great swing but I don't respect him as a baseball player.

Reaction Score
3-40 in the 2012 postseason with one walk. 45-203 for .222 career in the postseason. He dogged it all over ther Trop in Sept quitting on running out balls to first and not diving in the field at crunch time. The guy has a great swing but I don't respect him as a baseball player.

And what is goldenboy Longoria's lifetime batting average and walks to strikeouts in the playoffs again?

Reaction Score

Guess you missed this one sink......Cano was awful in the playoffs because he carried his team there......your guys was 0-0 in the playoffs because he didn't.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom