When the history of Big East Basketball is written.... | Page 5 | The Boneyard

When the history of Big East Basketball is written....

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
cuse are 28-1 in their last 29 big east games, no team has ever had a run like that. they also have the most wins and highest winning % in big east history.

http://syracusefan.com/threads/just-some-numbers-to-chew-on-these-past-4-seasons.42757/#post-504676

MyMeloMyMan said:
We really need a final four showing to solidify the last 5 years of great regular season performances. Like JB says, the only thing anyone remembers happens in March.​
bingo. unfortunately ao, fab, and possibly dirty is gonna prevent that from happening. sure would be nice to have 1 of our loaded teams at full strength for the tourny.

:D

Reaction Score
There's enough swiss cheese in his logic to make a helluva fondue.

Can't say beating Butler for a 'ship taints it when that same nucleus punked your one-seed selves out in the Sweet 16 the year before (then did it again to Pitt in '11 for good measure).

Reaction Score
There's enough swiss cheese in his logic to make a helluva fondue.

Can't say beating Butler for a 'ship taints it when that same nucleus punked your one-seed selves out in the Sweet 16 the year before (then did it again to Pitt in '11 for good measure).
They were a half-court shot (that wasn't far off) from being defending national champions, for .

Is Duke's championship invalidated since they beat a 4-seed for the title, and a 2 seed was the highest they played?

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
It's really not surprising they're getting antsy, though. We were the same way when our mid-90s regular season dominance didn't translate into the tournament. That 49-5 run was ridiculous, but made for some pretty painful Marches. At this point you know Syracuse is just dreading the start of the NCAAs.

Reaction Score
Apparently it's UConn's fault that Arizona annihilated Duke.

Reaction Score
Apparently it's UConn's fault that Arizona annihilated Duke.

It's been 5 hours since the last post. I guess the Cuse fans did the right thing and ran away with their tails between their legs. Even though they won't admit it, they obviously know their place.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
all time big east standings

syracuse 361-185
uconn 318-227

uconn is only 43 games behind syracuse, if only the big east would stick around for another 40 years maybe you'd catch us.

oh but right, 3-1 is the only thing that matters, gotcha. and you act like 3-1 is this monumental difference.

We all agree, UConn sucked in the 80s and Cuse was solid but still not the best in the conference. That's a pretty big reason for a 43 game lead. We'll give you that. Without bothering to try to look it up and gather the numbers, you may have more BE wins since 1990.

So here is a simple question for you: Would you give up 43 BE wins for two more National Championships? You might say no, but from my seat, I wouldn't give up 2 rings for 43 more big east wins.

Similar question: Would you rather be 9-9 in the BE and win the BE Tourney and a National Championship or would you prefer to be 15-3 in the BE and not win either? Again, I know what I would choose.

Bottom line is May - October, people talk about who won the tournaments, not who won the most games in conference. You can keep piling up regular season wins; we're happy to keep piling up Championships.

It sucks we're without a conference that really matters, but you will continue to be solid in the ACC and be the 2nd or 3rd best team in the conference. Unless we join, then you will have to settle for 3rd or 4th best. Wouldn't that be a frucking nightmare?

Reaction Score
They were a half-court shot (that wasn't far off) from being defending national champions, for .

Is Duke's championship invalidated since they beat a 4-seed for the title, and a 2 seed was the highest they played?

Everyone remember's the halfcourt shot missing since it was so dramatic. But they also had a legit chance before that - with five seconds left and Duke up one, Hayward missed a 10-foot baseline fadeaway that was right on line - just went off the back rim (Duke got the rebound, got fouled, made first, missed second on purpose, and then the halfcourt heave).

We don't know what would have happened had Hayward made that one, of course. Duke would have had five seconds left to go coast-to-coast, and with no Trajan Langdon around for a face plant, they might have succeeded.

Reaction Score
all time big east standings

syracuse 361-185
uconn 318-227

uconn is only 43 games behind syracuse, if only the big east would stick around for another 40 years maybe you'd catch us.

oh but right, 3-1 is the only thing that matters, gotcha. and you act like 3-1 is this monumental difference.

Well, duh, it is. It takes half a brain to figure that out.

Reaction Score
Cuse fans have grown increasingly jealous since our third ring created wide separation between our programs. They perceive themselves as equal to or better than uconn, and with a longer history and more recent conference success. But the numbers show we have been better at cementing our seasons with trophies, whereas they are very consistently good but fall a bit short in crunch time.

What bothers me is that they all are ecstatic that uconn has been banned from tourney and does not have a conf to go to in realignment. They want uconn to be banished back to Yankee league. This is jealousy talking. If the roles were reversed I would be cheering for cuse to get into the ACC and allow our rivalry to continue, to play it out on the court. And to make the conf better and more fun to watch. I think most uconn fans agree with me here. But cuse fans don't want that, they want us gone, so they can sort of maneuver around their jealousy and have a reason to believe they are better. Because, if we stay on even terms with them in termsi of recruiting, they know we will win the big ones when they don't.

I'm a fan of Boeheim, but their fans have become tough to deal with. Shame they don't want the rivalry to go on and build, could be great if we do eventually get to ACC.

Reaction Score
LOL at you guys comparing 2011 to 2003. In 2003 we beat a 1 seed, 1 seed, and 2 seed (that was the most dominant team in the tourny at the time and who nobody thought cuse would beat) to win the title. you beat a 5 seed, 4 seed, and 8 seed. COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• duty_calls.png
    duty_calls.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 43
Reaction Score
LOL at you guys comparing 2011 to 2003. In 2003 we beat a 1 seed, 1 seed, and 2 seed (that was the most dominant team in the tourny at the time and who nobody thought cuse would beat) to win the title. you beat a 5 seed, 4 seed, and 8 seed. COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your only championship came from the heavens because of the ultimate one-and-done player who bolted town so fast I'm suprised you even remember his name. If not for him making a 6 month stop on campus, Boeheim may have been thrown out with his friend Bernie Fine.

Reaction Score
So by my handle you see I'm a Syracuse fan. I'm also an alum ('87) and I live in Connecticut.

I registered for your site because I felt I had to comment in this thread.

Here's the deal - Anyone, and I mean anyone, who says that Syracuse is the most successful program in the history of the Big East is simply wrong. As much as it pains me to say it, it is just undeniable. Connecticut is far and away the most successful program in the history of the league. And believe me, I truly, truly hate saying it. It drives me crazy. I was a student in the mid '80's during the heyday of the Big East. UConn was an afterthought in those days. To say that now in 2013, they are THE program of the conference just speaks to the amount of success they've had.

As you all say, 3 Championships. Period. End of story. Nobody else in the conference has more than 1.

UConn & Georgetown have 7 BE tourney titles. Syracuse has 5. St. John's is next closest with 3. Again though, no contest.

Regular season titles - UConn - 7, Syracuse, 7. Only category where the two schools compare.

The only thing I can say that Syracuse has over Connecticut is that Syracuse has been the more consistently good team of the two during the entire life of the Big East. Syracuse's regular season and tourney titles have come in each decade of the conference's existence. UConn didn't win their first regular season title until '89-'90 (when they shared it with Syracuse) and their first BE Tourney that same year.

In reading this thread I find it ridiculous to see that a Syracuse fan says that SU should have 3 Championships, if, if, if..... Well, guess what? If my grandmother had a dick she'd be my grandfather. Bottom line is that SU does NOT have 3, they have ONE. Connecticut has 3. And it does not matter what the seed was in the tournament and who either team played.

All you really have to say to anyone who tries to compare the two programs and thinks Syracuse is the better of the two over the history of the conference is this: If you swap the history of the two teams. Do you think you'd find one Syracuse fan that would say UConn was better? Nope. They'd do just what you are doing - point to those 3 trophies and laugh at you.

Look - I love my school, love being a fan, am very proud of their history. But there are levels. At the top is Kentucky, Indiana, UCLA, the next tier is Duke, UNC and UConn. Is Syracuse in that third tier? Yeah, maybe but even if they are - and that's debatable, the third tie is still a far, far cry from the second and UConn is closer to the first tier than SU is to the second.

Again - I hate UConn, I hate all you guys who root for UConn but its not even a debate.

I do however think that when the average fan across the country thinks 'Big East', they think Syracuse and Georgetown before they think UConn. That's the national perception of the conference and its simply a result of the rivalry that SU and G'town developed in the '80's on ESPN.

In closing let me say that I think that having a program like UConn's twisting in the wind looking for a conference home is a travesty. I really think that the ACC is the perfect place for the Huskies and hope that's where they'll wind up. Unfortunately I think your fate is tied to Notre Dame deciding what to do with football and we all know how that's gone in the past.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
115 posts and no mention of cuse's no road, no pulse OOC scheduling.

Color me disappointed, just don't color.me orange.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

caw

Reaction Score
So by my handle you see I'm a Syracuse fan. I'm also an alum ('87) and I live in Connecticut.

Here's the deal - Anyone, and I mean anyone, who says that Syracuse is the most successful program in the history of the Big East is simply wrong. As much as it pains me to say it, it is just undeniable. Connecticut is far and away the most successful program in the history of the league. And believe me, I truly, truly hate saying it. It drives me crazy. I was a student in the mid '80's during the heyday of the Big East. UConn was an afterthought in those days. To say that now in 2013, they are THE program of the conference just speaks to the amount of success they've had.

As you all say, 3 Championships. Period. End of story. Nobody else in the conference has more than 1.

UConn & Georgetown have 7 BE tourney titles. Syracuse has 5. St. John's is next closest with 3. Again though, no contest.

Regular season titles - UConn - 7, Syracuse, 7. Only category where the two schools compare.

The only thing I can say that Syracuse has over Connecticut is that Syracuse has been the more consistently good team of the two during the entire life of the Big East. Syracuse's regular season and tourney titles have come in each decade of the conference's existence. UConn didn't win their first regular season title until '89-'90 (when they shared it with Syracuse) and their first BE Tourney that same year.

In reading this thread I find it ridiculous to see that a Syracuse fan says that SU should have 3 Championships, if, if, if..... Well, guess what? If my grandmother had a dick she'd be my grandfather. Bottom line is that SU does NOT have 3, they have ONE. Connecticut has 3. And it does not matter what the seed was in the tournament and who either team played.

All you really have to say to anyone who tries to compare the two programs and thinks Syracuse is the better of the two over the history of the conference is this: If you swap the history of the two teams. Do you think you'd find one Syracuse fan that would say UConn was better? Nope. They'd do just what you are doing - point to those 3 trophies and laugh at you.

Look - I love my school, love being a fan, am very proud of their history. But there are levels. At the top is Kentucky, Indiana, UCLA, the next tier is Duke, UNC and UConn. Is Syracuse in that third tier? Yeah, maybe but even if they are - and that's debatable, the third tie is still a far, far cry from the second and UConn is closer to the first tier than SU is to the second.

Again - I hate UConn, I hate all you guys who root for UConn but its not even a debate.

I do however think that when the average fan across the country thinks 'Big East', they think Syracuse and Georgetown before they think UConn. That's the national perception of the conference and its simply a result of the rivalry that SU and G'town developed in the '80's on ESPN.

In closing let me say that I think that having a program like UConn's twisting in the wind looking for a conference home is a travesty. I really think that the ACC is the perfect place for the Huskies and hope that's where they'll wind up. Unfortunately I think your fate is tied to Notre Dame deciding what to do with football and we all know how that's gone in the past.

Jeez, it does exist.

Reaction Score
Orange, well written post.
As far as the national perception that Cuse and Gtown are the first two BE teams that are thought of is hard to say. I think older people *may* think that but people 30 and under probably still put UConn up there. Since UConn asserted themselves from say 1990 on you would think that a kid who started watching college hoops at 10 years old is now in their early 30's and probably thinks UConn as the #1 team if not in the top 2.

I'd say you should stick around but what's the point since our rivalry may be dead due to CR. Nice to see a Cuse fan who isnt afraid to keep the rivalry going instead of hiding under the fake "recruiting" excuses for not wanting us to join the ACC. Your fanbase is starting to look as weak as BC fans who were tired of us beating them down for so long.

Reaction Score

This is annoying. I really prefer the delusional, bitter, butthurt Cuse fans who try to diminish our accomplishments and project how we will suck in the future in order to make themselves feel better about their own accomplishments.

I get a lot of laughs out of those guys. You just seem intelligent and reasonable. I hope this is not a trend.

Reaction Score
If The Cuse wins the BE regular season, AND the BE tourney, AND the national championship this year, then MAYBE they would have a case:

BE regular season: Syracuse 11, UConn 10
BE tournament: UConn 7, Syracuse 6
National Championships: UConn 3, Syracuse 2
Final 4: UConn 4 - Syracuse 4
Elite 8s: UConn 9 - Syracuse 6
Sweet 16s: Syracuse 15 - UConn 13
NCAA Appearances: Syracuse 27 - UConn 18

That would make us about even in the BE, and close to even in the NCAAs. Yes we would still have 3 NC vs. their 2, but the overall NCAA success is pretty close. But that said, I think the best you could call it would be a tie.

I'm not holding my breath......

Reaction Score
i said in my first post i have no problem with uconn #1, theyve accomplished the most. my issue is the complete lack of respect you give cuse. some of you listed gtown #2 or nova being in the mix, thats comical. we have the most big east wins, highest winning %, and are currently on the best run of any big east team ever. and whether you like it or not, syracuse is the face of the big east. boeheim, the dome, the rivalries, big monday, espn.....its always been syracuse from day 1

Reaction Score
i said in my first post i have no problem with uconn #1, theyve accomplished the most. my issue is the complete lack of respect you give cuse. some of you listed gtown #2 or nova being in the mix, thats comical. we have the most big east wins, highest winning %, and are currently on the best run of any big east team ever. and whether you like it or not, syracuse is the face of the big east. boeheim, the dome, the rivalries, big monday, espn.....its always been syracuse from day 1
Agree that Syracuse is the obvious #2, at least to me. Not sure what "face of the big east" even means though. Is it like one of these faces?

Reaction Score
Agree that Syracuse is the obvious #2, at least to me. Not sure what "face of the big east" even means though. Is it like one of these faces?

the team thats most associated with the big east

Reaction Score
the team thats most associated with the big east

Maybe Syracuse is "the face" of the BE to most people. But even if true, I would bet that when asked who is the best of the BE, most of those same people would say UConn.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
boeheim, the dome, the rivalries, big monday, espn.....its always been syracuse from day 1

RE: JB

Calhoun vs. Boheim Google Analytics.

Calhoun searched over 50% more on than Boeheim on google since 2004 despite a substantial amount of people searching for Jim Boeheim's wife. He's got that going for him. By the way those spikes are national championships.

RE: The Dome

People hate it

RE: general popularity

Favorite College Basketball Team since 1993. Uconn more appearances in top 10.

However, I do need to post this as well:

Google Analytics on Big Time College Basketball Programs

The fact of the matter is if you look at this last link by a pure number of searches approach, Syracuse basketball out penetrates Uconn basketball and has a much larger national reach. So in that regard I think you have to conclude that on some level there is more of a national association with cuse. UConn is understated here in that it has a slight response rate for connecticut basketball that you could add on top incrementally. North carolina and UNC stack as well.

Interesting stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32