When does it really become HCKO's program? | The Boneyard

When does it really become HCKO's program?

Status
Not open for further replies.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I was reading an article on The UConn Men's Basketball team becoming eligible for the NCAA tournament again. While reading it, this quote from Warde stood out to me:

"Our men's basketball team again had an outstanding APR score for the second straight season, and I want to congratulate the student-athletes, coach Calhoun, coach Ollie and the rest of the coaching staff for that accomplishment," UConn AD Warde Manuel said in a statement."

I understand, appreciate and bow down to everything Jim Calhoun has done and continues to do for UConn and UConn Men's Basketball. But I have to ask, when do we completely give Kevin Ollie the reigns of this program and the accolades that come with it's success?

Any chance JC's name would have gone before KO's if we had not made the APR cut again?

http://www.newstimes.com/uconn/article/UConn-in-the-clear-on-APR-several-programs-4594933.php

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I understand, appreciate and bow down to everything Jim Calhoun has done and continues to do for UConn and UConn Men's Basketball. But I have to ask, when do we completely give Kevin Ollie the reigns of this program and the accolades that come with it's success?

Any chance JC's name would have gone before KO's if we had not made the APR cut again?

I think that's a nod to the fact that this APR push has been in place for a couple of years now. It started under Calhoun's watch (hence the JC mention) and then was obviously continued by KO.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I think that's a nod to the fact that this APR push has been in place for a couple of years now. It started under Calhoun's watch (hence the JC mention) and then was obviously continued by KO.

Maybe, but we also found our way into APR troubles during JC's tenure.

At the very least I'd hope for a "Former" before coach Calhoun and a little more detail on the role Kevin Ollie has played in getting the academics back on track.

Reaction Score
It is his program - his fingerprints are all over it. The brotherhood has never been stronger in Storrs, and Kevin Ollie's primarily responsible for that. It just so happens Kevin Ollie is also an extension of Jim Calhoun, meaning many of the virtues Calhoun preached have continued to be emphasized under the new leadership. That's the sort of thing that happens when you play four years for a guy and serve as an assistent for two more. If Kevin Ollie wins a national championship next year, Jim Calhoun will have a hell of a lot to do with it. If he wins a national championship in 2030, and Calhoun is five years dead, he still will have had a lot to do with it. The final chapter of Jim Calhoun's legacy will not have been written until Ollie no longer coaches here, and that's the great thing about keeping things in family.

Of course, Ollie is the head coach, and with that role, comes a great deal of responsibility. Player development, recruiting, and x's and o's are three things you better be pretty damn good at if you want to make it in this buisness. Calhoun will receive an abundance of credit for the first two if UConn goes on to do big things next year - he'll be credited with finding diamonds in the rough in Napier and Boatright, and developing them to the point that they became great college players. Despite any accomplishments Ollie's group may amass next season, there will always be one lingering question - "can he do it with his guys"? That question has been asked of every young coach who has taken over a great program. He's off to a great start with the Hamilton and Purvis signings. Can he do all the other things, from managing egos, to harnessing their raw ability, to adjusting on the fly mid-game against hall of fame coaches in the proverbial chess match? These will be questions he'll have to answer before he can be considered a great coach.

As for the APR topic, I think Manuel treats it the same way. He recognized Calhoun for recruiting well-grounded players who were willing to put in the work in the classroom, and he also recognized Ollie for continuing to emphasize the importance of an education. If three years from now, UConn is still fine APR-wise, and still firing on the court, Ollie will receive the lion's share of the credit. But until then, it's still Calhoun's baby.

caw

Reaction Score
I was reading an article on The UConn Men's Basketball team becoming eligible for the NCAA tournament again. While reading it, this quote from Warde stood out to me:

"Our men's basketball team again had an outstanding APR score for the second straight season, and I want to congratulate the student-athletes, coach Calhoun, coach Ollie and the rest of the coaching staff for that accomplishment," UConn AD Warde Manuel said in a statement."

http://www.newstimes.com/uconn/article/UConn-in-the-clear-on-APR-several-programs-4594933.php

Simple answer here. JC was the HEAD coach for all APR scores to date.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Very well written response, Champs99.

But, would JC be the headliner if we didn't make APR expectations again? If the clear answer is yes, then I agree with everything you posted above.

If the answer is no or maybe, then Kevin Ollie should never be given second billing when the program he runs succeeds.

Reaction Score

But, would JC be the headliner if we didn't make APR expectations again? If the clear answer is yes, then I agree with everything you posted above.

If the answer is no or maybe, then Kevin Ollie should never be given second billing when the program he runs succeeds.

Yeah, I think so, especially because the poor scores would have occured on his watch. If the poor APR scores had continued into the 2010/11 and 2011/12 years, I think that would have been a major stain on Calhoun's legacy, and he still holds a slice of the blame for the ban last year. But given the scores improved so substancially, I think the postseason ban was more a product of the NCAA seeking positive publicity and sentencing us to three years in jail for speeding.

Reaction Score
Does underlining something make it true?
It is true. Calhoun was the head coach during the time when our APR was low and during the year that just came out.

Reaction Score
Does underlining something make it true?

I suppose it does in this case, because it is true.

The scores that were announced yesterday were earned by the 2012 team, which was coached by Jim Calhoun.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Don't like this thread. The "HCxx" moniker is one of derision, KO has done nothing to warrent it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

At the very least I'd hope for a "Former" before coach Calhoun and a little more detail on the role Kevin Ollie has played in getting the academics back on track.

What does APR have to do with academics?

intlzncster

Reaction Score

I get what you are saying, but I think you might be taking the exact words a little too seriously. The ability to parse words on the internet has all of us being a bit nitpicky. I didn't see it as a slight to Ollie at all, nor an indication that it wasn't HIS program.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

But this is a question that can't be answered. It's just speculation. Neither you, nor I, nor anyone else has any idea what Warde Manual would have said in that situation.

Reaction Score

If that had happened, I think the media response would have focused on 1.) blaming Calhoun for it and 2.) the implications of it that KO would have to deal with. So yes, if we had failed, I do think Calhoun would have been given top billing. You're looking too far into this.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
What does APR have to do with academics?

Zippo. Which is why I hate all the posts on it (specifically that 5+ pager below). As if our score justifies anything, other than we were too stupid to report like other schools a few years ago.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If that had happened, I think the media response would have focused on 1.) blaming Calhoun for it and 2.) the implications of it that KO would have to deal with. So yes, if we had failed, I do think Calhoun would have been given top billing. You're looking too far into this.

No, the media would have focused ONLY on Point 1 there.

Reaction Score
This happens when a HOF coach resigns and stays around. It comes with the territory for Ollie (who played for Coach Calhoun), especially with Calhoun lurking, observing and talking.

We have 2 Head Coaches; one active and one inactive. It won't change until Calhoun goes off to play golf for a season or two. I'm sure Ollie would say something if it ever became a problem, but that's not foreseeable. It would probably be more of an issue if our new coach was not part of the family, was insecure and of course not having success.

Reaction Score
This happens when a HOF coach resigns and stays around. It comes with the territory for Ollie (who played for Coach Calhoun), especially with Calhoun lurking, observing and talking.

We have 2 Head Coaches; one active and one inactive. It won't change until Calhoun goes off to play golf for a season or two. I'm sure Ollie would say something if it ever became a problem, but that's not foreseeable. It would probably be more of an issue if our new coach was not part of the family, was insecure and of course not having success.

There is no issue here whatsoever. The only reason Calhoun was mentioned in the press release was because he was the coach of the 2012 team whose APR scores were just released. If Kevin Ollie was the coach of that team, Manuel wouldn't be congratulating Jim Calhoun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom