What's it going to take for you to consider this season a success? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

What's it going to take for you to consider this season a success?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
What's it going to take for me to consider the 2014 season a success? A bowl invite. That usually means you've won more than you've lost and anything less than that is not considered successful by many and definitely won't capture the imagination of potential fans. UConn football needs fans and lots of them, especially the ones that travel to away games. That's your ticket into the B1G or ACC. Building the fan base proves you are succeeding so I guess a bowl invite and a increased fan base(not sure you can measure that in any other way than sales). All the other stuff, improved O-line, star QB, reliable RB are all nice but don't mean much if their season is over before Christmas. Guarantee no member of the program will consider anything less than a bowl invite a success so why should anyone else?

By your definition, both the first and second seasons under PP/GDL fell short of success yet for some reason you defended that regime beyond logic.

Reaction Score
By your definition, both the first and second seasons under PP/GDL fell short of success yet for some reason you defended that regime beyond logic.
Yee of short attention span. Go back and look what I typed back then. Whenever this subject came up my response has always been..a bowl invite is my measuring stick for a successful season. And... I defended the program from mean spirited, over the top remarks which are unbecoming of a real fan. Any loser can take pot shots but unless you can do better yourself(and you wouldn't even make it in the door for the interview) you really need to chill on the insults. It makes UConn fans look petty and cheap by folks outside of UConn Nation who might happen upon this site looking for Husky info.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Wey-overboard;

I am very confident that I would not stand a chance if I were to run for governor, senator or president yet I do believe that I have the right to criticize what I view as incompetent behavior from our politicians. As a fan of the football program, I have the right to question actions of those in charge of the program if I see what I believe is incompetence. I take the same approach with any team that I follow closely.

As far as mean spirited, nothing that has been posted on this board was ever close to being as mean spirited as the man who was in charge of the football program from January 2011 to October 2013. The only thing that came close was the behavior of his close friend who ran the offense for a while and the offensive line for far too long. I have no clue about the peaches and cream world that you live in but the world in which the remainder of this board lives allows for criticism of incompetence. P knew (at a minimum he should have known) that he would be subject to criticism if the results were not acceptable. I'm not sure why you became the self-appointed defender of everything P but it may be time that you gave up on that role as it is a worthless endeavor.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I guess one measure of success will be our ability to move past any discussion of former coaches.

Reaction Score
Wey-overboard;

I am very confident that I would not stand a chance if I were to run for governor, senator or president yet I do believe that I have the right to criticize what I view as incompetent behavior from our politicians. As a fan of the football program, I have the right to question actions of those in charge of the program if I see what I believe is incompetence. I take the same approach with any team that I follow closely.

As far as mean spirited, nothing that has been posted on this board was ever close to being as mean spirited as the man who was in charge of the football program from January 2011 to October 2013. The only thing that came close was the behavior of his close friend who ran the offense for a while and the offensive line for far too long. I have no clue about the peaches and cream world that you live in but the world in which the remainder of this board lives allows for criticism of incompetence. P knew (at a minimum he should have known) that he would be subject to criticism if the results were not acceptable. I'm not sure why you became the self-appointed defender of everything P but it may be time that you gave up on that role as it is a worthless endeavor.
Criticism is one thing and I never had a problem with that as I saw things unfold the same as everyone else but the personal attacks was just plain bush-league and that's what I took offense to.

Hopefully the new regime will help us all forget the last three years so here's to looking forward. Go Huskies!

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
[

I want meaningful football in December. That means competing for league titels and a post season game at minimum. MINIMUM. That also means meaningfull football, in November, in October, in September - in August.

This. I understand that a shot (however good) at 6-6 and a tidy bowl bid could arguably be called meaningful. I think we should aspire to better.

Reaction Score
21-17 start of the 4th quarter.

Interesting. Jmoney and you - two of the more, how should I write?.......respectful, sane, intelligent - whatever. I like you guys, and your commentary.

Two different memories, takes on the same situation.

I left the final game of 2012 out as the last meaningful one, because I'm more toward Jmoney's view on this. That game really wasn't meaningful to me in 2012, and I didn't realize how much until right now. By that point, last game of season v. Cincy in 2012, as opposed to same scenario in 2011 - I honestly don't remember expecting to win. In 2011, I did. For sure.

That's not to say we didn't have a chance - which is ironic. I didn't remember the score going into the 4th at 21-17. Tells volumes of what we were as a program that we lost 34-17. As noted, I didn't remember much specifics, and that's not because I drank too much scotch and ale. :)

That to me, as I reflect now, on where we are, where we were, and moving forward is probably the most telling to me personally as to what happened under the previous regime. It pervaded the program, and extended to the most diehard of fans. Apathy. The players had it, the coaches had it, and then eventually the fans.

For the most part of my life, when it comes to athletics, I've almost always, say 95% of the time, remember the losses and what happened in those losses more than the wins. Almost always. Until the past season and half I guess. It surprised me to see what the score was against Cincy going into the 4th quarter in 2012, with a bowl game on the line.

That game, in my mind, could have been 60-2 for all I remember about it.

Among the many things that have been described here as a "successful" season - I guess I'll add for me personally "Memorable football" again.

Reaction Score
I just went back to what I wrote in post #91 last week. Amazing. I had no memory at all that the game was 21-17 going into the 4th quarter against Cincy in the last game of 2012. That game was more than winnable - at home, with that kind of score going into the 4th quarter with bowl eligibility on the line.

What I do remember, is that I was sure we had not discipline and will power to win it, even though we had shown some life against Louisville and Pitt before. That's what I remembered. I'm sure at that point, I was looking more forward to building to what was supposed to be a great, door opening, eyes opening season for UCONN in 2013. That, obviously, didn't happen.

It's a new season, new everything, and I do expect to win again.

What gives me some bit of excitement, and hope, is that with positive attitude, work ethic, conditioning, and discipline again - perhaps we are NOT that far off. If in 2012, we were that close to still being able to win and go to the post season, and in 2013, we could take a TD lead into the 4th quarter against Michigan......

I'm not sure who wrote it the other day - fairfieldcty I think - Perhaps - Perhaps.....

as Diaco and program have been working non-stop for the past 6 months to correct the basics of dedication, conditioning, work ethic and team discipline and mental attitude - MAYBE - the new coaching staff has actually discovered that they've got some pretty good players to work with.

I expect to beat BYU. I expect to win games. I expect to go to the post season.

Reaction Score
I just went back to what I wrote in post #91 last week. Amazing. I had no memory at all that the game was 21-17 going into the 4th quarter against Cincy in the last game of 2012. That game was more than winnable - at home, with that kind of score going into the 4th quarter with bowl eligibility on the line.

What I do remember, is that I was sure we had not discipline and will power to win it, even though we had shown some life against Louisville and Pitt before. That's what I remembered. I'm sure at that point, I was looking more forward to building to what was supposed to be a great, door opening, eyes opening season for UCONN in 2013. That, obviously, didn't happen.

It's a new season, new everything, and I do expect to win again.

What gives me some bit of excitement, and hope, is that with positive attitude, work ethic, conditioning, and discipline again - perhaps we are NOT that far off. If in 2012, we were that close to still being able to win and go to the post season, and in 2013, we could take a TD lead into the 4th quarter against Michigan.

I'm not sure who wrote it the other day - fairfieldcty I think - Perhaps - Perhaps.....

as Diaco and program have been working non-stop for the past 6 months to correct the basics of dedication, conditioning, work ethic and team discipline and mental attitude - MAYBE - the new coaching staff has actually discovered that they've got some pretty good players to work with.

I expect to beat BYU. I expect to win games. I expect to go to the post season.

I like your optimism. Makes me even more pumped for the season seeing others that see this coming season the same way I do.

Reaction Score
I like your optimism. Makes me even more pumped for the season seeing others that see this coming season the same way I do.

Optimism, realism, pessimism, idealism. Tomayto / tomahto. I think it's pretty clear that by end of 2012, my realistic expectations for the UCONN football program were not optimistic about making the post season, regardless of what was actually happening in the game. Realistically? The game was 21-17 at the start of the 4th. Wow. Duncan really gave me an eye-opener this Monday morning.

I let my optimism overcome the pessimism of the 2011, and 2012 seasons - and I was jacked up with optimism and idealism for the 2013 season, and pessimism of others about the regime, proved quite real after the Towson game.

All done and over with. I'm optimistic once again, for a successful football season and I'm getting jacked up again. This is good. Reality will play out with the games. Win or lose against BYU, I expect to compete, and I expect in general (because we boneyarders are not the general fan base) I expect in general, for fanbase expectations to be reset in a good way come Aug. 30 - win or lose.

I do expect to win.

6 weeks until kickoff.

Reaction Score
Optimism, realism, pessimism, idealism. Tomayto / tomahto. I think it's pretty clear that by end of 2012, my realistic expectations for the UCONN football program were not optimistic about making the post season, regardless of what was actually happening in the game. Realistically? The game was 21-17 at the start of the 4th. Wow. Duncan really gave me an eye-opener this Monday morning.

I let my optimism overcome the pessimism of the 2011, and 2012 seasons - and I was jacked up with optimism and idealism for the 2013 season, and pessimism of others about the regime, proved quite real after the Towson game.

All done and over with. I'm optimistic once again, for a successful football season and I'm getting jacked up again. This is good. Reality will play out with the games. Win or lose against BYU, I expect to compete, and I expect in general (because we boneyarders are not the general fan base) I expect in general, for fanbase expectations to be reset in a good way come Aug. 30 - win or lose.

I do expect to win.

6 weeks until kickoff.

I am an optimist, even last year I thought going into the Towson game that we could have made it to a bowl game. I won't say I thought the team would be great, but I thought that the bottom half of the AAC and out OOC schedule provided enough winnable games to make it to the post season. Obviously, I was shocked, hurt, crushed, dead a little on the inside, or however you wanna put it after the Towson game. I think that game was where I realized how bad UConn became under PP. Ambrose had Towson fired up, they were aggressive and motivated on every play. UConn looked worn out, unmotivated, practically uncaring. I literally said to my buddy watching the game with me, " This is not the team I fell in love in 2003. This is not the team I spent numerous hours every week in marching band, practicing formations and songs so I can I could focus on the game come Saturday. What the hell happened?"

That being said. I'm being a cautious optimist this year. Part of me wants to say with the schedule we have that we'll be 12-0 come bowl season, but my head tells me that it's a completely new coaching staff with a new scheme on both sides of the ball so I better tempur my expectations. I think 7 wins isn't out of the question this year. I don't want to see us getting blown out. Could it happen? Absolutely, but I want to see this team fight to the last whistle. That to me will be the biggest success of this year.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
You would consider the season a success of Casey throws for 30 tds?
If he throws 30TD's were winning at least 7 games. I think this team has a chance to be good, but good quarterback play puts them over the top.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to put a number on it. I just want to see signs of the development of a program. I think everyone needs to remember that Calhoun's first season here the team was 9-19 and Geno's teams didn't have a winning record until his third season. It takes time.
I can't comment on the women's hoops part but let's remember that when Calhoun showed up his first season Uconn was playing in the BEST basketball league in the country with 5 out of 9 teams ranked at some point during that year AND Calhoun lost his two best players! Perno and PP similarly ran each program down. The AAC is not the 1987 Big East hoops conference. I would hope that given our new coach and direction and schedule that we would be able to win 5 games.

Reaction Score
Rocktheworld said:
Pretty much what we on the BBall forum wanted to see in KO's first season: guys playing competently together and with heart.

I think we all agree on that. But this program needs more. Results matter as we are trying to market the program.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
But we have to accept to some extent that results can't be overly front loaded; I just want to feel confidence that they are on a good vector.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
I think we all agree on that. But this program needs more. Results matter as we are trying to market the program.
It's a funny question we are answering. I consider it a success if the kids grow a bit, because we need that base, that foundation for future play. We need to foster growth and all that malarkey. And then I cannot disagree that on-field results will be critical for the university and our team's perception. The line is so razor thin at this point, if we have more CR potential on the approaching horizon.

I come to the events and support the team every year. Biatch about it when it's not so good, cheer always, revel in it when it's great. While the success for me is about the guys in the helmets, the success for all of us is tied to the wins and losses. I agree that the measure for the program really rests on the win count, and if we can become bowl eligible... We all are pulling for that.

Reaction Score
Barring a rash of injuries
But we have to accept to some extent that results can't be overly front loaded; I just want to feel confidence that they are on a good vector.
on a good vector and pleeeeeease..... new helmets!!

Reaction Score
I laugh at the people who are implying its not about the wins, they just want to see (fill in the blank). When we had the "how many would Weist need to win to keep his job" most were insisting on at minimum 5 and many said 6 wasn't enough.

Change the discussion, how many wins would you sign up for right now? I need 8 on the table before I pick up the pen.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I laugh at the people who are implying its not about the wins, they just want to see (fill in the blank). When we had the "how many would Weist need to win to keep his job" most were insisting on at minimum 5 and many said 6 wasn't enough.

Change the discussion, how many wins would you sign up for right now? I need 8 on the table before I pick up the pen.

I have a very legitimate reason for not believing (at this point) that a specific number in the win column will tell us if the season was successful or not.

We have little clue as to what this team has at the moment (especially on the offensive line, which is critical) and we have little clue as to what the bulk of this season's opponents have. It is every bit as possible that a seven win season could expose many flaws in the new staff & as system as a four or five win season could have us pounding our chests (the way I did leaving an opening round loss in MSG in 1987).

To date Diaco has said and done exactly what we as fans needed. He has yet to coach one game that counts for anything however so there is a long road ahead before he reaches JC or Geno stature. If I feel the same way about his hire in December as I feel today (and have felt since his hire) I will view the season as a success.

Granted, Diaco may not have the esteemed background of Weist but my gut tells me that his hire was a better direcion for the program than mainting Weist would have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom