WHat's been confirmed after two games | The Boneyard

WHat's been confirmed after two games

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
When every season starts, there's inevitably a ton of anticipation. If the anticipation is discussed enough, it reaches a fever pitch, a "start the damn season already!" kind of moment. Well, the damn season has started, and here's what I'm pretty confident about after two games:

UConn can win the national championship and should be ranked #1

Sure, there's a lot to criticize, but UConn ran over Hartford by 55 and walked by Stanford without ever feeling in serious danger (yes, even during the period with little scoring). Next are Maryland and Penn State. If UConn wins those two with relative ease, you have to feel nothing but very, very good about this season.

Kiah is the player we've been waiting to see

KIah's the X-factor for this season. She's had all the physical tools to be a force in conjunction with STef and/or Breanna. She's blocking shotss with aggression and rebounding fluidly. If she can score 10 points or so a game, she's a dream.

Bria is back

I mean, does that require an explanation?

Saniya belongs

I'm not saying Saniya is playing like an All-American, but she just has the look, the confidence, and the tools, to put it all together, and be the fantastic role-player we've hoped she'd be.

The depth is exactly what he hoped for

The thought was UConn would be truly nine-deep. As of now, they're no worse than eight (Lord willing, KML is healthy). Banks, Chong, and MoJeff, can all contribute something. Bria can play like a star, and you can't have too many stars. Breanna isn't shooting like she did in the Final Four last year, but you know that's coming. KML is KML, as long as she's 100%. Stef hasn't shined on offense yet, but she's been GREAT on defense. Kiah, like I said, is what we were yearning for. And Tuck continues to be rock solid, exactly what you expect, and a joy to watch. All of these kids can carry a team, even if it's just for a couple of minutes at a time. That wins a lot of basketball games.

There are definitely a number of things I'm waiting to see ( a more fluid offense like I wanted to see at this time last season, Breanna playing like a NPOY candidate, consistency by players who have given us hope they're taking steps forward, etc.), but the proof is in the pudding. So far, the pudding is great, and the only part of it that's not ready to gobble up is the answer to the question of how healthy the team can stay over the balance of the season.

Reaction Score
Saniya is not going to be a role player. She will be seeing plenty of playing time, and in the long run she will prove to be a more complete and better player than MoJeff.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Saniya is not going to be a role player. She will be seeing plenty of playing time, and in the long run she will prove to be a more complete and better player than MoJeff.
Could not possibly disagree more. This is about this season. Saniya will be a fine bench player, i.e., a fantastic role-player as I stated in the OP. For the love of God, let's not turn this into who should be starting over whom.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Could not possibly disagree more. This is about this season. Saniya will be a fine bench player, i.e., a fantastic role-player as I stated in the OP. For the love of God, let's not turn this into who should be starting over whom.

I am reminded (by Chong) of an NCAA regional (Trenton, I think) when a freshman named Tiifany Hayes started bombing 3's in a tight game with a team from Arizona.

No comparisons, but she is a potential monster, combo, who easily could be the principal replacement for Bria, next season.

U

UCONNfan1

I hate when we knock our own players to build up others. Alex wasn't comparing MoJeff and Saniya, and there is no need to bring that into it.
I agree. You know, I defended Chriss in another thread, but that comment was way off base. Mo Jeff has all the tools to be one of the best PG's in the entire nation. She will be a Lieberman nominee next year and the following. Saniya is not a pure PG like Moriah is. AND they are not competing against each other so why even go there?

As for the definition of "role players", I'd say Morgan, Kiah and Saniya are ALL role players. They play a HUGE role on the team. But they are not starters at this point (God willing KML's health). And I read Alex's post - I am nearly 100% certain he meant no slight to Saniya by referring to her as a role player. Because she is.

Reaction Score
Its only 2 games lets wait a bit before we anoint Moriah, she still needs to show she can consistently score for the offense to run smoothly. She doesn't need to hit 3 point shots, but with her speed should be able to get to 15 feet, and knock down shots. When she does that, then she will be the player we all expect her to be.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Moriah proved what kind of player she can be in the NCAA tournament last season. She was pushing a bit too hard in the Stanford game, but I expect great things from her this season.

Reaction Score
The one thing I don't like about MoJeff, is her playing alongside Bria takes the ball out of Bria's hands.

I think a huge part of why the offense settled down last night was because when Saniya came in, our senior guard was making the decisions. We want Bria aggressively scoring, but I also think with her running the point, our team was way less likely to shoot the first open shot. (Which often wasn't that good of a shot.)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The one thing I don't like about MoJeff, is her playing alongside Bria takes the ball out of Bria's hands.

I think a huge part of why the offense settled down last night was because when Saniya came in, our senior guard was making the decisions. We want Bria aggressively scoring, but I also think with her running the point, our team was way less likely to shoot the first open shot. (Which often wasn't that good of a shot.)
I think Bria is better with MoJeff with her because it takes some of the strain off her - they will both push the ball when they can, but after made baskets it is better to have MoJeff doing the work and Bria getting a 'breather'. Once the half court offense gets into motion, the two guards have similar responsibilities so it doesn't really matter in Geno's offense. And with Bria heating up her shooting (and I expect her to be hitting better than her sophomore season this year) allowing her to spot up at the three line when MoJeff is leading a break is just more option.

Reaction Score
I think it confirmed that while there has been visible progress in the offensive decision making of a number of players that needed it, there is still quite a bit of growth needed particularly from the guards if this team is going to reach its potential.

Reaction Score
It was great seeing Bria Hartley play like the old Bria. Everyone needs to step up with the injury to KML. There is no doubt in my mind that UCONN will beat Maryland and Penn State even without KML. My prayers are with KML and I hope her injury is only minor and that she will make a quick return to the UCONN lineup.

Reaction Score

More like Mo Jeff, speed and quickness-wise, but with a deadly jumper...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I agree. You know, I defended Chriss in another thread, but that comment was way off base. Mo Jeff has all the tools to be one of the best PG's in the entire nation. She will be a Lieberman nominee next year and the following. Saniya is not a pure PG like Moriah is. AND they are not competing against each other so why even go there?
EXACTLY! I was going to post something similar, but now don't have too. Yes, Jefferson is a pure 1. And will be a really, really good one. Chong is a 1/2, and hopefully will be really good too.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Sorry but I'm with chrissaran on this one. I suspect it may come down to different definitions. I don't think of "role-player" as simply meaning not a starter. In my might it is a much lesser, albeit important status. I think of a role-player as someone who does not have all-around skills, maybe good at offense, but weak on defense, or vice-versa, or has the ability to defend a particular type of player. Role-players typically get situational minutes, which might be a lot if a particular game presents the right situations, or might be few if it does not. That isn't Saniya.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I think "role players" are those who excel at one facet of the game.

Bonnie Samuelson seems to be a role player for Stanford -- Tara seems to rely on her to shoot treys. Same with Mabry at Notre Dame.

Kelly could have been merely a role player at UConn (shut-down defender) but she was determined to be (and successful at) a complete player -- passer, scorer, rebounder.

Kiah seems similarly determined to have game beyond rebounding and shot-blocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom