Whatever happened to UConn's 3-Point Shooting? | The Boneyard

Whatever happened to UConn's 3-Point Shooting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
The Huskies are shooting 126-373 for 33.8% The Huskies who have taken the most threes are Bria 25-87%, Saniya 19-55 34.5% ; Kaleena 23-53 43.4% ; Stewie 17-53 32.1% ; Little Mo 11-39 28.2% and Lefty 12-33 36.4% The team is in a 3-Pt shooting slump. This is the weakest part of UConn's offensive game. Can the Huskies continue to win with this type of 3-Pt shooting? So far they have.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Nit-picky, nit-picky. This is a team that leads in 6 of the 18 stat categories and are either 1st or 2nd in half, in the top 10 in 12, and in the top 40 in all but two categories. But instead of concentrating on positive thoughts and being happy-go-lucky and chirpy-bird like the rest of us, you have to be small-minded and harp on those two weak 3-pt categories where the Huskies rank 58th in 3-pters per game and 72nd in 3-pt FG%. Haven't you ever heard that 3's a crowd?

Having a weakness and overcoming it builds character, and in the next two months the Huskies will work hard on perfecting those trifectas and make you feel really really bad that you had ever questioned their abilities on anything, including the slap-me-ten post-3 bench celebrations by TLaw and Briana.

And if Bria really is shooting 87%, she needs to shoot a lot more 3s.

Reaction Score
The Huskies are shooting 126-373 for 33.8% The Huskies who have taken the most threes are Bria 25-87%, Saniya 19-55 34.5% ; Kaleena 23-53 43.4% ; Stewie 17-53 32.1% ; Little Mo 11-39 28.2% and Lefty 12-33 36.4% The team is in a 3-Pt shooting slump. This is the weakest part of UConn's offensive game. Can the Huskies continue to win with this type of 3-Pt shooting? So far they have.

I agree that the Huskies are struggling from behind the arc this year at 33%. However, say the average of 3pt shots attempted per game is 20 if they were a national leader at 40% then they would score a whole 6 more pts a game. Since I don't see 6 pts meaning a whole lot in the outcome of any UCONN game then they will be fine.

Reaction Score
As a long-time Husky fan and Boneyard lurker, I have never understood why attacking someone's perpective with name-calling is necessary. Is Huskybill really "small-minded" because he made an observation about our 3-point shooting?

Reaction Score
As a long-time Husky fan and Boneyard lurker, I have never understood why attacking someone's perpective with name-calling is necessary. Is Huskybill really "small-minded" because he made an observation about our 3-point shooting?

Denny, the general answer is that it raises their opinion of themselves in their own minds, makes them feel important.

Reaction Score
I think they can because of their great inside game. But I would hope that it comes back. God help the opposition if and when we get it all going at once.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Three point success,two point success,fouls shooting success,defense---whatever goes great or not so great,they are undefeated,so I wouldn't worry what stats are what.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
When you remove your most prominent 3pt shooter for eight games who made 110+ 3s last year at a 50% rate and then lower her % to 43% in those games she does play as she recovers from a shooting arm injury it is going to drop your 3pt%.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
HuskyBill is small minded all the time. It is just his point of view. On the other hand he is an expert gardener and has great travel plans.[/quote

If "small-minded" is his moniker and he's comfortable with that, then I bid him peace and tranquility in his gardens.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
When you remove your prominent 3pt who made 110+ 3s last year at a 50% rate and then lower her % to 43% as she recovers from a shooting arm injury it is going to drop your 3pt%.
I haven't done the math, but I suspect that Kaleena's absence is the major factor for the team shooting about 5 points lower than last year.

Kaleena's shot was off the other night, but she'll get on track. Bria's percentage is low for her, but I thought the arc on her shot looked good the other night.

Yes, I'd like to see them shoot better. I think, now that the holiday break is ending, the kids will hit a routine and shoot closer to 40%.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Dolson needs to go back to her old ways...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yes, I'd like to see them shoot better. I think, now that the holiday break is ending, the kids will hit a routine and shoot closer to 40%.
Next Tuesday, Jan 21st, classes start. That always helps.

Reaction Score
Ice - as a former two sport athlete (competing against UConn), I revelled in the intimacy of "name-calling" with my teammates - a sign of respect and acceptance. Therefore, I understand and honor those relationships that exist on the Boneyard, as well. I apologize for misinterpreting this particular instance.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I thought I would look at the difference in 3PT shooting between home and away games.

We're actually shooting (slightly) better on the road, even though some of the gyms are new to us.

44/128 = 34.3% road
126/373 = 33.8% all games

Would have guessed that our home % would be a bit higher.

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
Dennygrnn is wrong; I am small-minded. I'm small everything. I'm not called the Boneyard Gnome for nothing And in spite of the nice words from icebear; we all know what a liar he is.

Bria's three-point shooting percentage is 28.7% That was my mistake. So was starting this thread. I thought it was anti-UConn enough to bring doggydaddy out with one of his usual tirades. I live for those moments. Obviously it wasn't. And DobbsRover is a poor substitute for the doggydaddy. It's like having a walk-on replace an All-American. But I must thank DR for telling me that having a weakness and overcoming it builds character. I didn't know that. I have many weaknesses and for a crazy moment thought about overcoming some of them. I got out just in time.

As for those who believe that it's okay for the greatest team in the history of WCBB to shoot 33.8% on threes, I stand corrected. All I can say is "It is what it isn't."

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Dennygrnn is wrong; I am small-minded. I'm small everything. I'm not called the Boneyard Gnome for nothing And in spite of the nice words from icebear; we all know what a liar he is.

Bria's three-point shooting percentage is 28.7% That was my mistake. So was starting this thread. I thought it was anti-UConn enough to bring doggydaddy out with one of his usual tirades. I live for those moments. Obviously it wasn't. And DobbsRover is a poor substitute for the doggydaddy. It's like having a walk-on replace an All-American. But I must thank DR for telling me that having a weakness and overcoming it builds character. I didn't know that. I have many weaknesses and for a crazy moment thought about overcoming some of them. I got out just in time.

As for those who believe that it's okay for the greatest team in the history of WCBB to shoot 33.8% on threes, I stand corrected. All I can say is "It is what it isn't."
I just realized that Huskybill is correct. It would be better if UConn's shooting percentage for 3s was higher. Thanks Bill!

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score

I don't believe the percentages tell the whole story, primarily because the various Huskies generally are taking good shots -- dare I say "wide open" -- and not getting the expected results. Those open shots are partly coming (not to downplay the patience, movement and picks that drive the offense) because the foes are terrified, rightly, that UConn's inside game is going to gut them. So, they pack the lane, making the perimeter a shooter's playground.

In that situation, you expect good shooters to have more success. This year, so far, that is sometimes the case, but when it's not then fans are simply going to be frustrated -- they know there are a lot of good shooters in Storrs, and ya get p.o.'d when you start losing confidence that a wide-open shot is gonna bring points -- or at the very least not be a hopeless brick. Fans also know that if those open perimeter shots don't fall, it makes a productive inside game far more difficult. And that adds to the frustration about "off" shooting nights.

Of course, fans' very high expectations for these players is a big contributor to all this.

BTW, is anyone else surprised by the reported number of treys Saniya has put up considering her relatively limited play time?

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
I don't believe the percentages tell the whole story, primarily because the various Huskies generally are taking good shots -- dare I say "wide open" -- and not getting the expected results. Those open shots are partly coming (not to downplay the patience, movement and picks that drive the offense) because the foes are terrified, rightly, that UConn's inside game is going to gut them. So, they pack the lane, making the perimeter a shooter's playground.

In that situation, you expect good shooters to have more success. This year, so far, that is sometimes the case, but when it's not then fans are simply going to be frustrated -- they know there are a lot of good shooters in Storrs, and ya get p.o.'d when you start losing confidence that a wide-open shot is gonna bring points -- or at the very least not be a hopeless brick. Fans also know that if those open perimeter shots don't fall, it makes a productive inside game far more difficult. And that adds to the frustration about "off" shooting nights.

Of course, fans' very high expectations for these players is a big contributor to all this.

BTW, is anyone else surprised by the reported number of treys Saniya has put up considering her relatively limited play time?
I agree. A lot of our missed shots are wide open. It would be worse (actually better) if we were missing contested shots. Then we could improve by simply taking better shots. If someone reads your response, he doesn't have to be a Sherlock Holmes to conclude that the Huskies may not be as good shooters as you think they are.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I agree. A lot of our missed shots are wide open. It would be worse (actually better) if we were missing contested shots. Then we could improve by simply taking better shots. If someone reads your response, he doesn't have to be a Sherlock Holmes to conclude that the Huskies may not be as good shooters as you think they are.
All substitutes are poor stand-ins for the original (in this case doggydaddy), and I well remember the catatonic states that my elementary school classes left the poor substitutes in while I was growing up in CT where meanness toward replacements goes to the bone.

Did you ever consider that the poor 3-pt shooting might just be a ploy? Last year UConn was shooting the 3s at a 37.3%, and then they go to the FF and bazooomba! against their bamboozled opponents. 43% against ND and 50% against Louisville with a combined 19-40 for 48% Poor schlubs never knew what hit them. I think Geno's planning to spring the same trap this year, except that at 33.8% the the surprise factor will be even nastier.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Ice - as a former two sport athlete (competing against UConn), I revelled in the intimacy of "name-calling" with my teammates - a sign of respect and acceptance. Therefore, I understand and honor those relationships that exist on the Boneyard, as well. I apologize for misinterpreting this particular instance.
No need to apologize to me. Bill has long played along as is evident from his avatar. As have the various grumpy bears.

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I go back to the ole saying....Nothing is as good as it looks and Nothing is as bad as it seems. UConn as a whole is not shooting well from deep. We used to be able to depend on KML but her injury has slowed her down. Tuck was shooting well from deep but shes out again. When UConn gets over this below par shooting thing I can only imagine how good they will be. Here is something to think about. KML and Tuck were out against some of the top teams in the country and UConn won. UConns shooting was at it low against Baylor and they won. Just think how good they will be when they're healthy and out of their shooting slump.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
This thread was the most fun to read...though a little short (had to get one in there). Thanks guys for the much needed laugh.

Reaction Score
Huskybill thanks for the correction on Hartley, who at times looks like a walking, talking turnover machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom