What other UConn season will 2014-15 remind you of? | The Boneyard

What other UConn season will 2014-15 remind you of?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Here's an idea: think of all of UConn's seasons that weren't undefeated national championships. You'd be remembering four NCs in a season with at least one loss, as well as a host of others. Well, this 2014-15 season could be like just about any of them. Some ideas:

2000- a generally dominant season with one loss by a razor-thin margin. A national championship ensued.

2003- a sterling 37-1 season with victories in many close games and a national championship. There was only one fluky loss all year.

2004- a year-long grind, a struggle of sorts, that featured four losses and a (gasp) #2 seed. UConn pulled it together and won a national championship.

2013- UConn seems to be experts in snatching defeat from the jaws of victory until the NCAA Tournament, after which point, the Huskies pretty much tear the field a new one.

Really, this season could be reminiscent of any of the four of these. Now, there are some non-NC winning seasons that 2014-15 could echo. Some ideas:

1996- a winning streak from the previous season ends abruptly at the beginning of this one. UConn otherwise has a strong chance to win it all until losing in OT to Tennessee in the national semis.

2011- a winning streak spanning plural seasons ends in defeat at Stanford. The team otherwise has a memorable season that ends in the national semis. It was a championship UConn very much could have had.

2005- the unmitigated disaster by Geno standards. 25-8 record, a loss in the regional semis, a #10 ranking in the final polls. Totally unacceptable!

If I could start a poll, I would, but I'm on the iPhone app. In lieu of a poll, how about a discussion? What previous season do you think 2014-15 will most closely resemble when all is said and done?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
No thoughts at all? C'mon, will this season be more like 2000, 2003, or 2005? I demand an opinion on the subject!!!

Reaction Score
I feel this season will meet expectations regardless of what happens until March. If Uconn wins again the Stanford loss looks like a great learning experience and all eyes go to see if Stewie can win 4.

It is only one chapter in a novel of greatness but this years team will be remembered by how they adjust the offensive flow without Steph and Bria and who steps up when we need it. Pretty similar to 2002-03 team, but that year weren't favorite.

That's what I feel will be remembered when all I'd said and done.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Great idea for a thread. I think 2003 and 2004 will be more likely! And a win in their last game!

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I just prefer to sit and watch the season unfold.

On a side note, it is interesting how we went from 'UConn is going to go undefeated, UConn 3-peat' to'Which season will we more closely resemble?" all after a 2 point loss in overtime. Were initial expectations too high, perchance?

Reaction Score
I just prefer to sit and watch the season unfold.

On a side note, it is interesting how we went from 'UConn is going to go undefeated, UConn 3-peat' to'Which season will we more closely resemble?" all after a 2 point loss in overtime. Were initial expectations too high, perchance?

I wouldn't say expectations were to high, but rather chemistry will take longer to form thanks previously thought. This team is still ttremendously talented and deserved the expectations of a NC

Reaction Score
96-97. we have alot of talent but lost key plalyers from the previous year (Lobo, Webber)

Reaction Score
Like many on this site, I was very confident that our Huskies would run the table this year. My biggest concern by far was the 12/6 matchup in South Bend next Saturday-especially because how early in the season the game falls. Despite the Stamford loss, I still feel this is the only other game that will be a big battle-if Geno and staff's efforts to tighten up the D work, I feel we will handle ND well and not be challenged at all until the first week of April (yes, I do not believe that SC will challenge us in our house 2/9)!! In that case, this season may look a bit like 2000. Can't wait to finally watch some ball tonight-Go Huskies!!!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
RadyLady said:
I just prefer to sit and watch the season unfold. On a side note, it is interesting how we went from 'UConn is going to go undefeated, UConn 3-peat' to'Which season will we more closely resemble?" all after a 2 point loss in overtime. Were initial expectations too high, perchance?
expectations were perfectly reasonable. However, now a 39-0 season is impossible, so what other kind of season has UConn had that you would like/expect to revisit this time around? At 2-1, the season is what it is. What do you think it could be? Between 2000 and 2005, it's quite a range of outcomes!

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
expectations were perfectly reasonable. However, now a 39-0 season is impossible, so what other kind of season has UConn had that you would like/expect to revisit this time around? At 2-1, the season is what it is. What do you think it could be? Between 2000 and 2005, it's quite a range of outcomes!
I understood your op. I reiterate my preference to sit back and watch the season unfold.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Well, after the Notre Dame game, my knee-jerk reaction is that this season will most closely resemble 2000! There's a ton of basketball to be played, but if UConn loses more games, it just may end up being unlike any season UConn has had...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom