What is the best individual, single-game performance in UConn history? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What is the best individual, single-game performance in UConn history?

Reaction Score
I would say, from talking with people who covered the team for about the last 45 years…Butler’s second-half performance against Providence is generally cited as the most dominant and special game a UConn player has played. Ray Allen probably second in 1995 against ucla.

Btw, I think clingan’s performance against Illinois should be in conversation

Reaction Score
It's not #1. Many of the above don't need to be restated. (Some of nadavs games were my earliest memories of uconn greatness)
But I loved Joey C's game against gtown. That one handed scoop shot? Ha
Joey C‘s might not have been the among the greatest games as it was only about a 6 minute stretch, But it was among the most. unforgettable few minutes I’ve ever witnessed. It was a sequence even greater than some of mine that were interrupted by my alarm clock and reality

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Clingan's line of 22 pts, 10 rebs, 5 blocks, 3 steals is an awesome line but it doesn't even begin to describe how dominant he was against Illinois. The Illini were 0-19 against Clingan and Illinois scored 14 points for the entire game when Clingan was on the court. You probably have to go back to Bill Walton for any defensive performance that can maybe rival that in a high stakes game.
Yeah this really is the one.

Nadav v Gtown, Donyell v St John’s, Kemba v SD State, Ben v Bama are the next tier down. Ray v UCLA and Caron v Maryland are the ultimate “valiant in defeat” entries.

But clingan v. Illinois really is the best. The 0-for-19 and the 14 points allowed when Cling Kong was on the court capture a level of defensive dominance that not even Emeka could touch.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
1) Caron in 2002 against Maryland. We win the national title if we get anything out of Ben in that game.

1A) Rashamel Jones, 1998 Big East Championship game. Rip goes 3-11. K goes 4-16. Kevin Freeman gets injured after 15 minutes and does not score a point. We’re down nine in the second half and Rash Jones, who has all but lost his minutes in the rotation, is off the bench basically playing power forward replacing Kevin Freeman.

He scores 17 points and nine rebounds, UConn comes back and wins 69-64.

And this, from Jim Calhoun…

“Watching him tonight is probably the best moment I have had in coaching.”

Reaction Score
Ben Gordon had some steller games in 2004. I dont have the numbers handy, but he was lights out against Nova in the BE tournament... i think it was 2004
Was thinkin of that one, I was watching from a bar in Boston and had tickets to upcoming games and hotel reserved in NYC, was worried for awhile and Ben put that worry & Nova to rest.

Reaction Score
He just never gave up. He left it all on the floor. Maryland just had some ballers. I think they won the tournament that year.
From the 14 minute mark in the second half to under 2 neither team led by more than 3, something like 7 ties and 8 lead changes, then Blake hit his first shot, a 3 to go ahead 86-80, absolute back breaker. Lost 90 to 82.

Those back to back games, Maryland and Texas were maybe the two most soul crushing March defeats in any two year span for UConn. Texas won 82-78. I think someone that year had a huge performance too.

Damn, I thought we blew OSU out that day.
I Could be thinking of the wrong game, game wasn't as close as the final score would indicate.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A random one...

Okafor at UNC in 2004. 29 & 13 with six blocks against Sean May, who many people considered the second best big man in the country. May was 3/14 from the floor.

We were #1, UNC was somewhere in the top 10. This was their core that won the title the following season.

Gordon had just broken his nose and was wearing mask. He shot horribly. Okafor and Rashad carried us and brought us back from a sizeable deficit but ultimately we lost on a late three from Rashad McCants.

Okafor was as good as any Husky has ever been that day, dominating both ends of the floor against another elite big.

Reaction Score
A random one...

Okafor at UNC in 2004. 29 & 13 with six blocks against Sean May, who many people considered the second best big man in the country. May was 3/14 from the floor.

We were #1, UNC was somewhere in the top 10. This was their core that won the title the following season.

Gordon had just broken his nose and was wearing mask. He shot horribly. Okafor and Rashad carried us and brought us back from a sizeable deficit but ultimately we lost on a late three from Rashad McCants.

Okafor was as good as any Husky has ever been that day, dominating both ends of the floor against another elite big.

Also how about Okafor vs Duke in the second half of the FF game. He fouled out three players, and I think scored 18 and grabbed the critical rebound.

Reaction Score
Strange as it seems to say, that Amida Brimah game where he scored a million points. He never came near that kind of game again. I thought Daniel Hemilton and him had the lob play down and would work it all season, but it never happened.

Reaction Score
An underrated one for me: Nadav vs. Georgetown on Jan 20, 1990. Georgetown came into that game 10-0, technically No. 2 in the nation but expected to be No. 1 since Kansas had lost earlier that day. It was the first time we'd beaten a team ranked that high, and Mike Gorman called it the best win in program history at the final buzzer. Beating Georgetown then was like beating UK and Duke at the same time.

Nadav had 21 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists and 5 steals, and every single time Georgetown made a run, he was the guy who pushed us back ahead. This was the first and only time they had the lead all game, and watch what happened:

To this day it's still our biggest regular-season win. I honestly don't think we'll ever have a bigger one.

Was this the one when Mourning stuck his finger in Nadav’s ear? What a !

Reaction Score
The Kemba streak is the most impressive performance in college basketball history. If a specific game is mandatory, the W over 'Cuse in the BE semis. Just ridiculous legendary hero stuff.

Reaction Score
1) Caron in 2002 against Maryland. We win the national title if we get anything out of Ben in that game.

1A) Rashamel Jones, 1998 Big East Championship game.

He scores 17 points and nine rebounds, UConn comes back and wins 69-64.

And this, from Jim Calhoun…

“Watching him tonight is probably the best moment I have had in coaching.”
Thanks for bringing back that memory I gotta dial this one up again soon! F’in love Rash Jones one of my favorites to ever wear the jersey

Reaction Score
When you think of greatest you think of offense. Nor do you think of 30 point blowouts.

Clingan against NW and ILL were 2 of the most impactful defensive postseason games ever. Complete domination and changing the game. Never seen anything like it in the tourney for Uconn. And we have had some amazing defensive players.

Reaction Score
From the 14 minute mark in the second half to under 2 neither team led by more than 3, something like 7 ties and 8 lead changes, then Blake hit his first shot, a 3 to go ahead 86-80, absolute back breaker. Lost 90 to 82.

Those back to back games, Maryland and Texas were maybe the two most soul crushing March defeats in any two year span for UConn. Texas won 82-78. I think someone that year had a huge performance too.

I Could be thinking of the wrong game, game wasn't as close as the final score would indicate.

Thats the game Larrier tore his ACL

Reaction Score
Hey Guys,

I know that most of you never saw my old friend, the late great Bill Corley play in person for the Huskies. But in '68, Bill established the all-time single game UConn scoring record with 51 points vs. New Hampshire. I think he missed only one shot that night & also grabbed over 20 rebounds as well. It was an amazing all-around performance worthy of mention here.

Bill was an exceptional human being who could also jump out of the Field House - as one of UConn's first real leapers. He average 21.1 ppg. & 17 rebounds his senior year without being a selfish player. And remained a humble, great guy.

I was a teammate of his playing in the NYC & Eastern leagues of the late 60's. So I saw how just incredible Bill played all the time back then. And I saw that aforementioned historic NH game as well.

All these memories here make me so proud of the SUPREME basketball program that has been built through many era's up at Storrs. Championships built on the shoulders of great players & people like Bill Corley. We've been very good for a long time now friends.

Great memories!

Father Demo

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom