What is our bread and butter play? | The Boneyard

What is our bread and butter play?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Some have wondered what the best questions to ask the coaches are right now.

I have mine, and I just asked it. What is our bread and butter play? What is the foundation of our offense? These things, at this point in a season, shouldn't be secrets, but I have no clue what they are. I don't know if we have one. I know what I think it should be. I know that through 6 weeks, it seems that when we are under the most pressure on offense to move the ball, we seem to have no idea what we're doing with basic plays, and/or, are calling strange/gimmicky type plays - and that has to change.

When it's crunch time on the field, and the offense needs to move the ball, what is our bread and butter play call? Coach P? Coach D?

What can we run, and the offense is confident that we're oging to move the ball? I think we've got a decent bread and butter pass play, on either 3 step or 5 step QB drop, as long as OL and backs can get it blocked, there's very little that a defense can do to stop that timing throw, QB drop, throw and catch - as long as the receiver runs the route deep enough and turns quick enough, first down every time. We haven't had that in a long time.

I think we've got potential to really get our identity back as a running team, if we focus on our strengths, and practice it, over and over. I've talked about what I think those are, if you watch the short drive, play by play, that happened from Shamar Stephens field goal block, down to the goal line in the second Q against Rutgers, you see all of our strengths on display, until it's crunch time at the goal. It's just a matter of practice to get the fine tuning right, so the receivers are looking for te ball over the correct shoulders that the QB is throwing to, that the timing and blocksare right, every time, no matter how the defense lines up, and the players are able to nail them.. THat our left side of the line can pass protect, and our right side can be the foundation of the run game.

With the play action pass, and mixing in some pass plays and drops, and leaking out receivers to the weak side, wide side of the field? We can really open up on offense.

THe only question - is if Deleone can be reeled in, and we can actually start to practice and then run the plays, until we can run them against anybody for the positive yardage we need to move the chain, and/or score a TD. The gimmicks have got to stop, and we have to establish our bread and butter confidence on offense, and then line up and go get it done on Saturday.

Last Saturday was a real life sucker of a game. I'm beginning to get my energy back for Temple. I just really want to see us come out on offense, and be able to run the ball to our strengths, and pass the ball to our strengths on offense. And for the D and ST's to continue doign their things.

We'll see. A small change, in the lineup, is a faint hint that maybe, just maybe, the entire offense is going to change and start doing things dfferently - better. Bread and butter.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Definitely a question that should be asked and answered by the coaching staff Carl. One thing I learned last night- if we ever get rid of Deleone at OC we should hire Sparano and that way our players won't have to learn a new offense. Thank God I'm a Giants fan. I saw the same train wreck trick play BS we see every Saturday.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I'd like it to be play action to our TEs. We don't always complete it but more often than not the play is there for the taking.

Reaction Score
McCombs up the middle for no gain or a two yard loss.

Reaction Score
There is not a Difference between 2nd and 8, to 2nd and 10.. Pass the Darn ball more... the other thing that REALLY pisses me off is that when its 3rd and 6,7,8,9 what ever the QB Most always throws the ball 2-3 yards short os the First.. Usually a quick slant that the D knows is coming to either A) Break it up every time or B) Knock him on his ass as soon as he touched it, resulting in 4th down.. I saw put all 3 Qb;s in at the same Time.. Mccummings in shot gun, Whitmer wide left, johny Mac wide right.. then do a triple reverse to the Qbs, and who ever see the wide open man throw a Bomb..

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
I dunno, but IMHO at the play would involve either Cole Wagner or Nick Williams in some way...

Reaction Score
hey diddle diddle
the cat & the fiddle
this play is going right up the middle
TWICE

Reaction Score
The coaches at the presser putting all the blame on the players. We have to execute etc. They may be right maybe we should execute a few coaching positions and bring in some upbeat blood........

Reaction Score
Our best offensive play is a good defense. :( (Sorry...I just couldn't help myself.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom