What I'm happiest about next season ... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What I'm happiest about next season ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well, look, you and your family are really screwed up when between the 3 of you you manage to commit to a program you do not want to be with. So, after a year of whatever, you move on. You are down one count in the brains department. You have an asterisk about the brain pan thing, pretty much forever, until you aren't with a couple of years of WCBB AA... until then you are a head case. DD this means you.
Rocky this post comes off a little harsh IMO. The divorce rate in this country is close to 50%, I think something like over 50% of the people are working in a different profession that what their major was in college. For the most part these are adults-older than DD- that are making life decisions. Sometimes things just don't work out as planned and people move on. Head case all of these people? I think not.

Reaction Score
Now look up those compartive stats for minutes played. We'll have to wait until next year ---unless you have Carnac's envelops.
Hi Broadway - Just wondering what your opinion is of Mabrey's season and how ND looks with her as the 4th best player next year? Also, would you take Mabrey or Nurse if you had the first pick?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Rocky this post comes off a little harsh IMO. The divorce rate in this country is close to 50%, I think something like over 50% of the people are working in a different profession that what their major was in college. For the most part these are adults-older than DD- that are making life decisions. Sometimes things just don't work out as planned and people move on. Head case all of these people? I think not.

I agree and I wish I had not posted it. It was a bone headed post and now I'm at a loss as to what provoked it! Getting old is a bitch!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It is interesting how choosing another College makes a superb player into an Also Ran!! I will admit Diamond's early demise at NC hurt her with some---but I doubt it had much to do with talent. You may be right about her WILL to WIN in the NCAA's last year I thought she didn't perform up to Uconn standards.
Speaking of envelopes....allow me to chime in........I saw enough of Diamond Deshields her freshman year at North Carolina to be convinced that she could have been the difference in some of the close games the Lady Vols lost last year. Say and think what you will about her. The girl can ball. She's 6'2, she can shoot, she can handle the ball, pass, drive, and pull up from either side of the arc. What's not to like? How much leash Holly gives her, remains to be seen. She's been practicing with the team all year, so she should have already meshed into the system. Expect her to hit the ground running that first game in November. With the influx of blue chip talent coming in, I can't see TN not improving and becoming a tougher pill to swallow for their opponents this fall. Tennessee should be 2-3 games (wins) better than they were last year. Barring injury, I would not be surprised to see TN make it to the round or 8 in next year's NCAA tournament. I have a feeling (it could be cognitive intuition, or just gas, we'll find out later) that with the addition of DD, Mercedes Russell and Te'a Cooper, et.al., TN will be significantly better than most people (non Vol fans) think. Time will tell. I will be closely watching their progress this season to see how they fare.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I think Butler will start and take pressure off of Stewie and Tuck.With Moriah shooting over 50% from 3 and Stewie,Tuck and Nurse improving from there they will be fine.Gabby and the 3 frosh will be the top players off the bench with KLS filling some of the gap for Lewis!I think the team to watch isTenn.If Diamond Deshields can blend her talents with the returning players and they play team ball they could end up in the finals.Maryland did get Gillepsie from Capital Prep who played in the Mcd. All-American game but I wonder why UConn didn't recruit her.I Don't think she played team ball and that is what turned them off about her.
We'll be hearing about that for the next 4 yrs

yeah UConn "backed off" :rolleyes:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Except for Courtney and the three new Freshmen there shall be 8 others on the team with talent and experience. No argument here--I was wondering how THIS Uconn team is "young"? I've read this about other experienced teams and wonder who anointed them "young"??
This young term seems more readily applied to Women's BB teams, why? Except for Svet has Uconn ever had a more experienced Frosh than Kia Nurse? Gabby got good to great time, for me Pullido and Lawlor don't apply in the mix. Chong has experience in good to big games. Butler was the B.E. Center of the year, Stewie, Moriah, Morgan are Pro's. I expect Collier to jump right in with KLS and Boykin getting minutes and big time IF they develop fast enough. Remember these are "gut" feelings not a critical analysis done with vast knowledge of WBB. I really hate giving Geno his 11th NC until he earns it.
I know this is your envelop prognostication but for certain it shall be a pleasant year and hopefully a bit tougher.
I called the 2015-16 UConn team young because of the 11 scholarship players they'll have on their roster, only 4 of them (Chong, Stewart, Jefferson & Tuck) will be upper classmen. 7 of them will be either freshmen or sophomores. 7 is more than 4. You can turn and twist that fact any way you choose. The underclassmen will out number the upperclassmen almost 2 to 1. Ergo, that makes them a young team Sir. I don't count the walk on's. Remember, we're talking about "scholarship" players.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Except for Courtney and the three new Freshmen there shall be 8 others on the team with talent and experience. No argument here--I was wondering how THIS Uconn team is "young"? I've read this about other experienced teams and wonder who anointed them "young"??
This young term seems more readily applied to Women's BB teams, why? Except for Svet has Uconn ever had a more experienced Frosh than Kia Nurse? Gabby got good to great time, for me Pullido and Lawlor don't apply in the mix. Chong has experience in good to big games. Butler was the B.E. Center of the year, Stewie, Moriah, Morgan are Pro's. I expect Collier to jump right in with KLS and Boykin getting minutes and big time IF they develop fast enough. Remember these are "gut" feelings not a critical analysis done with vast knowledge of WBB. I really hate giving Geno his 11th NC until he earns it.
I know this is your envelop prognostication but for certain it shall be a pleasant year and hopefully a bit tougher.

I called them a young team because 7 of the 11 scholarship players on next season's roster will be "underclassmen" The underclassmen will out number the upper classmen (Tuck, Stewart, Jefferson & Chong) almost 2 to 1. THAT sir, makes them a young team!

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
It is interesting how choosing another College makes a superb player into an Also Ran!! I will admit Diamond's early demise at NC hurt her with some---but I doubt it had much to do with talent. You may be right about her WILL to WIN in the NCAA's last year I thought she didn't perform up to Uconn standards.
she also had a hugely swollen and purple ankle in that game they lost to South Carolina (but came on strong in the 2nd half to almost win).

Reaction Score
Agreed, DD cannot be compared to Maya. Maya was about the team because she had Maya confidence, DD is about DD and I don't think she can make the complete transition to being about team.
She's in the perfect place, then, for her. Tenn has never been about the team. It's always been about the "star", and everyone else crash the boards...

Reaction Score
I agree and I wish I had not posted it. It was a bone headed post and now I'm at a loss as to what provoked it! Getting old is a bitch!

When I do things like this I plead "Colossal Blunder!", no explanation. Then people just feel sorry for me for a while. I'd rather have their pity than their disrespect. They soon forget.:eek:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The girl can ball. She's 6'2, she can shoot, she can handle the ball, pass, drive, and pull up from either side of the arc. What's not to like?
We know she can shoot. She took 200 more shots than anyone else on the the UNC team her FR year. The question is can she make. 42% from the field and 28% from the 3 pt. Not exactly sure I'd want her shooting so much.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I called them a young team because 7 of the 11 scholarship players on next season's roster will be "underclassmen" The underclassmen will out number the upper classmen (Tuck, Stewart, Jefferson & Chong) almost 2 to 1. THAT sir, makes them a young team!
You can call them young, but they will not be playing like a young team. They will be a much more experienced team this coming year than this last one.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Four consecutive posts. I wonder what the Boneyard record is?
It's not even close. Tough for me quantify it as those kind of guys have a high likelihood of getting on my ignore list.

Regarding DD, as we've seen on the men's side, you can't really tell how a player will fit on a new team until everyone adjusts to the new minute allocatio, but yeah, she's a talented player, there's no doubt about that.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
It is a little funny at this point to here this kind of DD talk. I mean, she had some of the highest praises on this board up until she committed to UNC. One person who I have heard compare them and consider them on the same level is Angie Hembree. I also have seen Diamond win enough championships in high school and USA basketball to know she can very easily put the team first. Her will to win is off the charts, her talent is extremely rare in women's basketball and her temperament actually reminds me of both Taurasi and Parker. I would've said all this before she was a Lady Vol and just hope my expectations are not far off next season.
I can tell you for a fact you didn't see that from me. I don't particularly care who she has or hasn't played for nor do I care who she plays for now. Even if she played for UConn right now... I still wouldn't compare her to Maya. I call it how I see it. Now, do not mistake my saying she is not Maya as me saying she is not talented. It seems that is the way you have read it. Just want to be VERY clear about that.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Maya's TEMPERMENT and demeanor have always been classy--that's true. In the few times I've seen Diamond her movements on the floor, her level of confidence and her abilities suggested Maya Moore. You can see Diamond any way you choose--you may even have a RIGHT to do so--allow me my right to see things differently. Opinions are like arm pits so says Geno.
This is why my sentence began with "I"... Your opinion was obviously noted....:rolleyes:

Carnac

Reaction Score
We know she can shoot. She took 200 more shots than anyone else on the the UNC team her FR year. The question is can she make. 42% from the field and 28% from the 3 pt. Not exactly sure I'd want her shooting so much.

Meyers7 - I've been posting here for about 2 weeks. YOU by far have become my biggest and most constant critic. I'm not perfect. I'm not claiming to be perfect. As for your grammatical suggestions, keep them to yourself. I'm not interested in your critique of my posts, or my style. I don't seek or require your validation to post here. When I read other's posts, I read them for their content, not their grammatical correctness. The inability (or failure) of a commenter to dot his i's, and cross his t's are of no concern to me. The content and information contained therein is all I'm interested in, nothing more. This is a thread, not a classroom. Unlike you, I don't presume to be better than anyone else here. You'll NEVER see me criticize another poster's comments with respect to sentence structure or grammatical correctness. I'm not that haughty. Everyone that posts here is not on the same intellectual level as you think you are. I guessing the educational range of folks that post here range from non high graduate to folks with doctoral degrees. Business owners and CEO's, to minimum wage earners. People don't come here to be criticized, and corrected. The come here to converse with fans that have the same interest and affection for the UConn women's basketball team. I'll continue to write and construct my comments as I see fit. As I've stated before....if you have a problem with what I write, or the way I write, don't read my posts. When you see my avatar, keep moving. Don't stop to read my comments. Now go back and read my original post again. Nowhere in my post did I say or suggest that they would play like a young team. I said the 2015-16 team will be a young team, and it will! YOU said they won't play like a young team, not me. You're trying to read between the lines and there's nothing there to read. If I feel I need to clarify a statement, I will. I don't expect there to be any drop off in any area of team play next season. I'm not suggesting that UConn will go undefeated next year (that's extremely hard to do), but I am suggesting and expect them to send Stewart and Jefferson out on the same exact note that the last three senior classes left. If you read what I wrote, and not try to read between the lines, you'd understand exactly the thoughts and observations I'm trying to convey.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
We can focus on the season and all the new stuff to chat about and, hopefully, this will lead to lively chat that does not involve a lot of snarkiness. :oops:

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
What do I like best about next season? It's only about 15 more of these
images

And about five tons of these and then the next season is here!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
What do I like best about next season? It's only about 15 more of these
images

And about five tons of these and then the next season is here!

I looked on the calender and i have approximately 23 more of the former..... but none of the latter.... I hope grass cutting season wraps up before halloween this season..... no more trees in the yard.... so more more leaves to rake for me :)

Reaction Score
I'm with Wonk - there are a ton of things to look forward to next season, but hopefully the play of Butler will remind us of a young Dolson. And an entire season of a fully healthy Tuck - for stretches she was the most consistent and BEST player on the team last year.

OF course looking forward to improvements from everyone - sophomore leap for Gabby and Kia, the terrific trio of freshmen, and the senior season of Stewie and Mo, but of all the returning players, I'm most interested in what Saniya is able to do with improvements over the summer.

Agree about Saniya......I think she may be key to next season. We dont have many guards and if she doesn't step up then we can be an injury away from disaster.......knock on wood of course.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
There are a lot of things on my list, including seeing the newbies for the first time--De'Janae, Napheesa, Lou, and also Natalie-- and what kind of improvement is exhibited by Gabby, Kia, Saniya, and Courtney. I think, though, my biggest anticipation is seeing the marvelous 2012 recruiting class make their mark. Stewie, Moriah, and Morgan can become 4-time winners and separate themselves from EVERY other recruiting class ever. We may have the 2 best players in the country and 3 of the top 5-10.

Reaction Score
It is a little funny at this point to here this kind of DD talk. I mean, she had some of the highest praises on this board up until she committed to UNC. One person who I have heard compare them and consider them on the same level is Angie Hembree. I also have seen Diamond win enough championships in high school and USA basketball to know she can very easily put the team first. Her will to win is off the charts, her talent is extremely rare in women's basketball and her temperament actually reminds me of both Taurasi and Parker. I would've said all this before she was a Lady Vol and just hope my expectations are not far off next season.
IMO I think it will be the coach that might hold Tenn.back!Hard to follow a legend!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom