What if ..... | The Boneyard

What if .....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The below link to a Sports Illustrated article identifies UConn to be the loser in the conference reshuffle.

http://college-basketball.si.com/2013/10/29/winners-and-losers-conference-realignment/

The article has been discussed in an earlier thread so I would like to take a different slant for the discussion.

My question is....... what if, in a season or 2 it becomes apparent that the AAC sucks (as I anticipate) and it appears that neither the Big Ten or the ACC will invite UConn, then would it be prudent for UConn to seek membership in the basketball centric Big East and move its football to FCS or the MAC ?

In my opinion the answer is "yes" it would make sense to attempt to move to the Big East.

My reason is that IMO the AAC will only get worse next season with the exit of RUTgers and Louisville. I believe that in the long term UConn will suffer if it is in a conference with irrelevant teams such as East Carolina, Tulane, Houston, SMU, Central Florida, South Florida and others and has a pathetic media contract.

I hope that UConn will get an invite to either the Big Ten of ACC but I fear that the invite is not as likely as others.

My gut tells me that because the "old boys" of the ACC were sued in 2002 by Connecticut AG Richard Blumenthal and had to pay a $5M settlement coupled with the knee jerk objections of Boston College make it unlikely that the ACC will invite UConn ever.

I am more optimistic about an invite to UConn coming from the Big Ten. IMO the Big Ten is more favorable to UConn for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that the TV per school payout is substantially larger than the ACC. My guess is that the Big Ten will not expand until the litigation between Maryland and the ACC over the $50M exit fee is settled.

So yes, I favor UConn basketball over UConn football and if it becomes apparent that an invite to either the ACC or Big Ten is unlikely then I favor UConn seeking membership in the Big East and moving its football to FCS or the MAC.

Your thoughts?

Thanks

Reaction Score
Every school not in a power football conference will ultimately have no chance to compete for what people consider to be the national basketball championship. The programs in the Big East are already dead, their fans are just too obtuse to realize it.

So no, we should not join the Big East. Until all these power conferences have 16 teams we should not do anything but try to get into one of them.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I don't think the NBE is much better (if any) than the AAC.

Memphis, Cincy & Temple are pretty good. UCONN is excellent.

Once SMU and Houston etc. play a better schedule, their RPI will increase. Do you really think Seton Hall or DePaul or PC is that much better? I don't.

On the field, Houston, UCF & ECU are far, far better than Pitt, Rutgers & Syracuse - but the perception hurts.

I don't think the AAC is that bad - its more a money issue. We will be working at such a huge cash disadvantage.

Reaction Score
The below link to a Sports Illustrated article identifies UConn to be the loser in the conference reshuffle.

http://college-basketball.si.com/2013/10/29/winners-and-losers-conference-realignment/

The article has been discussed in an earlier thread so I would like to take a different slant for the discussion.

My question is....... what if, in a season or 2 it becomes apparent that the AAC sucks (as I anticipate) and it appears that neither the Big Ten or the ACC will invite UConn, then would it be prudent for UConn to seek membership in the basketball centric Big East and move its football to FCS or the MAC ?

In my opinion the answer is "yes" it would make sense to attempt to move to the Big East.

My reason is that IMO the AAC will only get worse next season with the exit of RUTgers and Louisville. I believe that in the long term UConn will suffer if it is in a conference with irrelevant teams such as East Carolina, Tulane, Houston, SMU, Central Florida, South Florida and others and has a pathetic media contract.

I hope that UConn will get an invite to either the Big Ten of ACC but I fear that the invite is not as likely as others.

My gut tells me that because the "old boys" of the ACC were sued in 2002 by Connecticut AG Richard Blumenthal and had to pay a $5M settlement coupled with the knee jerk objections of Boston College make it unlikely that the ACC will invite UConn ever.

I am more optimistic about an invite to UConn coming from the Big Ten. IMO the Big Ten is more favorable to UConn for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that the TV per school payout is substantially larger than the ACC. My guess is that the Big Ten will not expand until the litigation between Maryland and the ACC over the $50M exit fee is settled.

So yes, I favor UConn basketball over UConn football and if it becomes apparent that an invite to either the ACC or Big Ten is unlikely then I favor UConn seeking membership in the Big East and moving its football to FCS or the MAC.

Your thoughts?

Thanks

This has been discussed ad nauseam. First, the ACC and B1G are not inviting UConn in with their FCS or MAC football team. Second, if the F5 schools decide to break away into D4, poor football metrics will keep UConn out, and then basketball will dissolve. In other words, UConn's only argument for inclusion is spending money on football. Otherwise, you might as well shut down the athletic program now.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

No. But expect to play at a Div II level.

Not with the big boys.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Not shut them down but be prepared to be locked out of the possibility to play for national championships and earn big time $$$

Reaction Score
Helen Keller could see where this is going. If you can't ................................

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

Lets just look at men's basketball. When was the last time a mid-major (or lower) won the NCAA tournament? When was the last time a school that did not field a football team won? Since the day that Dave Gavitt announced that he wanted to start a basketball conference, how many titles were won by a school that did not compete in football at the highest level (at least here there is a bone thrown to you but when you compare numbers, three in nearly 35 years, it isn't promising).

Reaction Score
Wow I guess you are just that naive. These people in control only care about $, so obviously hockey will be different since it's not a revenue generating sport. There are only 2 revenue generating sports, and the power conferences will take control of both of them.

Again, just wow at your thought process.

Reaction Score
Herp. Derp. I really don't want to spend anymore time responding to the Grand Canyon sized holes in your logic, so I'll just say good luck. You should have a good team this year, maybe we'll see you in March.

Reaction Score
For all those who think non-power conference schools are about to dissolve for $-related reasons, wouldn't that also eliminate March Madness? That's a gigantic cash cow that would reel in significantly less money than the current system does if it were just between 64 power conference teams.

Reaction Score

If by shut down you mean cut expenses drastically because they no longer compete at the top level, then yes.
What's Holy Cross spending these days?

Reaction Score
The BE is an all catholic school conference the last time i checked?

Reaction Score
Lets just look at men's basketball. When was the last time a mid-major (or lower) won the NCAA tournament? When was the last time a school that did not field a football team won? Since the day that Dave Gavitt announced that he wanted to start a basketball conference, how many titles were won by a school that did not compete in football at the highest level (at least here there is a bone thrown to you but when you compare numbers, three in nearly 35 years, it isn't promising).

Reaction Score
Did anyone come up with the 3 teams: UNLV, Villanova, Georgetown. But how many other teams outside the majors came close: Butler, VCU, George Mason, Wichita St, Loyola Marymount, others?

The odds aren't great but I think UConn could be the Exception. Who cares what conference we're in for basketball, men or women. UConn will usually be in the conversation, get games against the top10 teams, and win 25+ games per year.

I understand the economics of conference affiliation particularly for football. But, our brand is basketball. UConn is basketball. Maybe someday for football.

But really it comes down to keep winning basketball championships, or FF,or Elite 8, and the UConn program will be fine.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
This is the bed the Big East has chosen to lie in: http://sonofthebronx.blogspot.com/2013/11/nbc-sports-network-nbcsn-fox-sports-1.html

Do you know how many different programs on Fox Sports 1 alone out-rated their Big East tip-off show?

There were 84 other programs on that network ALONE that America decided they would rather watch than Kevin Willard and Providence- including Moto GP on tape-delay, Lucas Off-Road Racing and a 3 AM repeat of The Ultimate Fighter.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
But really it comes down to keep winning basketball championships, or FF,or Elite 8, and the UConn program will be fine.

The hoop program will be fine. Reduced funding will crush other sports, facility upgrades, etc.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Did anyone come up with the 3 teams: UNLV, Villanova, Georgetown. But how many other teams outside the majors came close: Butler, VCU, George Mason, Wichita St, Loyola Marymount, others?

The odds aren't great but I think UConn could be the Exception. Who cares what conference we're in for basketball, men or women. UConn will usually be in the conversation, get games against the top10 teams, and win 25+ games per year.

I understand the economics of conference affiliation particularly for football. But, our brand is basketball. UConn is basketball. Maybe someday for football.

UNLV has been playing football at FBS (1-A when it was called that) from the day D-1 was split apart. We were school #3 in 1999. During the 98-99 academic/athletic year we made the 1-AA playoffs in football and won it all in men's hoops. The two subsequent titles were won while we were a full FBS football program.

Reaction Score
apparently, to some the answer is 2011.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I don't think the NBE is much better (if any) than the AAC.

Memphis, Cincy & Temple are pretty good. UCONN is excellent.

Once SMU and Houston etc. play a better schedule, their RPI will increase. Do you really think Seton Hall or DePaul or PC is that much better? I don't.

On the field, Houston, UCF & ECU are far, far better than Pitt, Rutgers & Syracuse - but the perception hurts.

I don't think the AAC is that bad - its more a money issue. We will be working at such a huge cash disadvantage.
We have ZERO history with the AAC schools and the travel is horrible for the UConn athletes. Eventually, this will negatively affect recruiting.
The AAC is purely a creation to preserve a semblance of a football conference. From UConn's perspective, the AAC serves as a lifeline that somehow, someway UConn could still be a player in conference realignment. But, as it currently stands, UConn is the worst of the bunch in football. The ACC has restructured their financial deal, which would make it very punitive for any other schools to leave. Without movement out of the ACC, further CR is unlikely.
The quality of the AAC in basketball is pretty good this year but will take a significant blow when L'ville leaves.
UConn needs to at least recover the $ from the departure buyout but the AAC is an awful long-term solution. As a long-term UConn basketball fan, along with many others, I resent that the football program has forced basketball into this awful situation, but it is what it is.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
For all those who think non-power conference schools are about to dissolve for $-related reasons, wouldn't that also eliminate March Madness? That's a gigantic cash cow that would reel in significantly less money than the current system does if it were just between 64 power conference teams.
Agree. Take away the 48 best football schools and what do you have left: a darn good NCAA basketball tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom