What elite WCBB player would ever want to play for Coach P? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What elite WCBB player would ever want to play for Coach P?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Geno should teach a class "Sarcasm as a Motivational Technique".
Agree with this assessment 100%. I can hear Geno now opening the first class.
"Now for you coaches from schools like Duke who may be waiting tables soon"....

Reaction Score
Ok so maybe the foundation is starting to crack and support for coach P is eroding. On the same website is a discussion about Isabella Alarie daughter of Mark Alarie-former Duke Blue. Alarie was the subject of a Boneyard thread this summer. Geno and some other Boneyarders saw Isabella Alarie play at USJN this summer and liked what they saw. She verballed to Princeton in December.

Mark Alarie quietly hoped his alma mater, Duke, would get involved considering he took Bella to the school’s basketball camp every summer as she grew up.
“But we haven’t even gotten a letter,” he said, not hiding his disappointment after a recent National Cathedral game.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-isabella-alarie-grows-out-of-fathers-shadow/

Alarie is not a top 50/ or 100 player

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Alarie is not a top 50/ or 100 player
Too early to be so definitive. ESPN for 2016 has only top 60 and the magical number to make top 60 is 91. Alarie has a 90 rating right now exactly the same rating as one of UCONN's last commit Kayla Irwin. It is possible that both move up with the next ESPN revision. Irwin by signing with UCONN will definitely move up. Likewise with Alarie if she had signed with Duke or UCONN. Princeton? I don't know probably stay the same.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Triad I disagree that Liston improved. I think she got comfortable as what she came in as and left the same. In the tournament loss she committed 3 offensive fould trying to be a secondardy ball handler after Jones got hurt..

Completely inaccurate. Liston came in a shooter only and left a very well rounded player and the leading scorer (and she was not a MCDAA or as highly ranked as others). Most of this can be attributed to her tremendous weight loss.

And you are judging four years based on one game?

Reaction Score
Completely inaccurate. Liston came in a shooter only and left a very well rounded player and the leading scorer (and she was not a MCDAA or as highly ranked as others). Most of this can be attributed to her tremendous weight loss.

Liston is one of my favorite recent players from Duke. She had a great senior year and the fact that she got drafted and made the Lynx team is a huge accomplishment compared to other more highly rated players in the same class.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Tricia,
Improved her shooting while a duke from 47% as a Freshmen 52% as a senior however the increase was not steady since she shot only 45% as a Junior. The other numbers do not support her becoming a better all-around player. Her A/TO ratio went from near 1 as a Freshmen and Sophomore to .7 for her Junior and Senior years. Her rebounding rate (Total rebounds/ Total minutes played) stayed almost exactly the same from Freshmen through Senior year @ .17. She had 19 steals playing in only 384 minutes as a Freshman and collected 20 steals in 1098 minutes as a senior. If you throw out all the numbers and just use the eye test Tricia increased her shooting percentage (drastically??) from Junior to Senior year and became Duke’s leading scorer and one of the most reliable shooters in the NCAA. Better shooter? -absolutely. Better all-around player?-Debatable.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I am afraid that Angela will find out more about Coach P than she cares to know muy pronto.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Tricia,
Improved her shooting while a duke from 47% as a Freshmen 52% as a senior however the increase was not steady since she shot only 45% as a Junior. The other numbers do not support her becoming a better all-around player. Her A/TO ratio went from near 1 as a Freshmen and Sophomore to .7 for her Junior and Senior years. Her rebounding rate (Total rebounds/ Total minutes played) stayed almost exactly the same from Freshmen through Senior year @ .17. She had 19 steals playing in only 384 minutes as a Freshman and collected 20 steals in 1098 minutes as a senior. If you throw out all the numbers and just use the eye test Tricia increased her shooting percentage (drastically??) from Junior to Senior year and became Duke’s leading scorer and one of the most reliable shooters in the NCAA. Better shooter? -absolutely. Better all-around player?-Debatable.

This is why statistics cannot be the sole source of indicia of improvement. In her junior and senior years, she had to play point guard due to injuries. She isn't a point guard.

Also, statistics do not tell you that she went from being a secondary player to the primary focus of Duke's offense by her senior year.

Reaction Score
You are correct..........she was out of position, but she never quit and was always a team player..........I cannot wait for the next Duke loss and how she belittles her players........Maybe the Duke Admin will attend the game and post game news conference and ask a question or 2 about her in game adjustments or lack of them............Duke is a very good school and needs much better Coaching leadership and team building............Stay tuned.

Reaction Score
This is why statistics cannot be the sole source of indicia of improvement. In her junior and senior years, she had to play point guard due to injuries. She isn't a point guard.

Also, statistics do not tell you that she went from being a secondary player to the primary focus of Duke's offense by her senior year.
Well, there's a pretty obvious one that for some reason didn't make it into Coco's analysis, scoring. Liston both improved her output and her percentage, which is a very telling sign of offensive development.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well, there's a pretty obvious one that for some reason didn't make it into Coco's analysis, scoring. Liston both improved her output and her percentage, which is a very telling sign of offensive development.
NDMB, not sure how you missed it but I have highlighted stats in the original post indicating offensive development for Tricia. My disagreement is that she became a "better all around" player.

Tricia,

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She's better off with Princeton anyway. They'll probably go undefeated and win the Ivy League again next season.
Alarie is only a HS junior. By the time she gets to Princeton (Summer/Fall 2016) who know where Princeton will be. Not even sure Courtney will still be coaching there vs. some bigger program.

Reaction Score
NDMB, not sure how you missed it but I have highlighted stats in the original post indicating offensive development for Tricia. My disagreement is that she became a "better all around" player.

Tricia,
OK, I did miss that you mention at the end that she'd become the team's leading scorer, but that kind of belittles the magnitude of the change. You gave such a detailed breakdown of the rest of her stats, it's weird that an obvious one (and one that is, frankly, a lot more relevant than her steal rate) like scoring rate would get left out. She went from scoring 18.4 per 40 as the team's six scoring option (and playing in a lot of garbage time) to scoring 22 per 40 as the main focus of the defense. That's roughly the same gap as the one between Breanna Stewart and Gabby Williams who, no disrespect to Gabby, wouldn't be scoring nearly as efficiently if she were the first focus of the defense. To do that, let alone that she did it while going from shooting 45.8%/38.9% to shooting 52.5%/48.1%, is impressive, and reflects far more than better shooting ability.

I didn't pay enough attention to Liston in her freshman season to have a sense of her improvement on the defensive end, but I think those numbers make a very compelling case that she became a much better offensive player.

Reaction Score
Alarie is only a HS junior. By the time she gets to Princeton (Summer/Fall 2016) who know where Princeton will be. Not even sure Courtney will still be coaching there vs. some bigger program.
Duke? :p

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
OK, I did miss that you mention at the end that she'd become the team's leading scorer, but that kind of belittles the magnitude of the change. You gave such a detailed breakdown of the rest of her stats, it's weird that an obvious one (and one that is, frankly, a lot more relevant than her steal rate) like scoring rate would get left out. She went from scoring 18.4 per 40 as the team's six scoring option (and playing in a lot of garbage time) to scoring 22 per 40 as the main focus of the defense. That's roughly the same gap as the one between Breanna Stewart and Gabby Williams who, no disrespect to Gabby, wouldn't be scoring nearly as efficiently if she were the first focus of the defense. To do that, let alone that she did it while going from shooting 45.8%/38.9% to shooting 52.5%/48.1%, is impressive, and reflects far more than better shooting ability.

I didn't pay enough attention to Liston in her freshman season to have a sense of her improvement on the defensive end, but I think those numbers make a very compelling case that she became a much better offensive player.
Fair enough and good points all around. Tricia became a much better offensive player while at Duke.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Duke? :p
IMO, Courtney Banghart, Jim foster , Kara Lawson, Lindsay Gottlieb (Cal) , Jen Rizzoti, Katie Abrahamson-Henderson (Albany), Joanne Boyle (UVA), Kim Barnes Arico (UM) would make infinitely better coaches that your present coach. Does that sound too harsh?

Reaction Score
IMO, Courtney Banghart, Jim foster , Kara Lawson, Lindsay Gottlieb (Cal) , Jen Rizzoti, Katie Abrahamson-Henderson (Albany), Joanne Boyle (UVA), Kim Barnes Arico (UM) would make infinitely better coaches that your present coach. Does that sound too harsh?

no, it would have been easier to name the coaches worse than JPM

Reaction Score
Me? A Duke fan? That is harsh.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
no, it would have been easier to name the coaches worse than JPM
John,
that would have been cruel, but funny and I might have ended up with a empty set=(coaches worse than JPM).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom