What does it mean to be a UCONN fan to you? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What does it mean to be a UCONN fan to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You feel like you actually understand some of the stuff posted here - some of the time?

Reaction Score
This part is particularly satisfying, especially given the North Eastern location of several of these punk ass programs. I know you are supposed to act like you've been there before at some point, but I'm not there yet. Don't plan on being there anytime soon either.

my substantial list of punk ass programs that I laugh at is national in scope.

Reaction Score
I did not go to college, my 3 sons went to CCSU, EMBRY-RIDELL, and the 3rd son went to 3different colleges and ever graduated. My grandson went to UCONN and joined the marching band and that got us interested going to games. We have had season tickets since 2005. Previously attended mbb and wbb games, andhockeygames. We love UConn and bleed blue profusely and are proud of UConn academically.

I'

Reaction Score
"Just a general question"? LOL -- it's actually a profound question for many of us!

For one thing, I'm a proud UConn grad. I had a fantastic time there (let's just say it was the "Animal House" era ;) ). Being a fan helps to maintain that connection to the school.

I moved from CT to FL almost 30 years ago. When I first moved, I was desperately homesick; but at that time FL's economy was booming, and I couldn't find a decent job in CT. One night in the late 80's I was on the phone with my dad, and he started telling me about how good UConn's men's basketball team was, how I should check them out the next time they were on TV. So I did. He was right! They were good, and a lot of fun to watch. Several years later, in 1995, my dad also told me about the women's team. And from then until now, both teams have helped me to maintain my connection to CT.

One more thing that means a lot to me as a UConn fan is how often the men's team is underrated, or considered the underdog. There aren't any stats to measure toughness or heart -- but almost to a man (and woman), the UConn teams are loaded with each. And most of them have represented the school exceptionally well. I am so proud of them. I'm so proud to have the most obnoxiously decorated cubicle at work (all Huskies, all the time!). I don't just bleed NF Blue: it's also the color of my soul.

Reaction Score
I read a few that made a very important point (Kita especially) - Being a UConn fan since the adrenaline rush of the 89-90 season means you get to feel like you've been punched in the stomach (or maybe the throat by Fishy) when they finally lose. Only a couple of times has our season ended with the actual season and league tourney and not with a a NCAA win or loss……..the fact our expectations have increased so dramatically is a great thing but that loss prior to the NC, whether it would be the 1st weekend which is rare or the 2nd is just plain awful at first and you can't sleep that night. But then you realize how successful things have become and you were once again afforded the opportunity to watch your team deep into the year unlike so many others and it hits you - "I'm a lucky UConn fan aren't I….can't way for next year"

Good to be a Husky fan;)

Reaction Score
My younger brother went to UConn when Calhoun got there and turned me on to them. We bought season tickets the "Dream Season' and we are hooked. Was so happy when my wife got a job in Harford and we moved up here. 15 minutes door to door at the XL, not too far from campus either. Can't stay off the boneyard offseason either. Got into the football team last year because of another yarder and the wife and I are are into them now too. The whole football experience with the tailgating and all makes that really speacial. Those that don't go, it's worth it, give it a try. Read more than post on the boneyard but thanks to all that contribute it makes being a fan WAY BETTER!

Reaction Score
Literally everything.

In 1986, I was a your average 10 year old kid, but I truly believe that when Jim Calhoun took over our UConn program, it set in motion events that would dictate the path I took in my life.

The NIT season a couple years later drew me in and then The Dream Season happened and it was over. All I cared about was UConn hoops. Watching games, studying box scores, wearing Husky gear.I got to meet Calhoun for the first time (with Chris Smith) at a Kolbe Cathedral fundraiser in B'port when I was 14 and I was so starstruck I could barely talk.

In 1993 I applied to probably 10 schools...all by picking teams from the AP Top 25. All the acceptance letters would come in, and of course I would be excited and proud...but the day that "fat" envelope came from Storrs, you couldn't pull me off the ceiling. Cuse, BC, Maryland, etc... could all take a hike.

20 years and 2 UConn degrees later, I'm your typical fan dealing with the high and lows of life and sports. Late 30's, beautiful wife, 3 kids, a job I hate but with a company I love, a great town to live in but a mortgage that's killing me, the passing of parents and the births of new children. I was talking with my wife a few months ago over a of couple bourbons and I confessed to her, that with all the "stuff" going on in our lives that cause stress or drama...the thing that worries me the most, that keeps me up a night...is if UConn will be OK when Conference Realignment shakes out. Literally pains me.

The one and only constant in our life is Uconn. God, I love this school!

oh, and my first boy was born 4 months ago, his name.... Tim Calhoun Bxxxxx

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Literally everything.

In 1986, I was a your average 10 year old kid, but I truly believe that when Jim Calhoun took over our UConn program, it set in motion events that would dictate the path I took in my life.

The NIT season a couple years later drew me in and then The Dream Season happened and it was over. All I cared about was UConn hoops. Watching games, studying box scores, wearing Husky gear.I got to meet Calhoun for the first time (with Chris Smith) at a Kolbe Cathedral fundraiser in B'port when I was 14 and I was so starstruck I could barely talk.

In 1993 I applied to probably 10 schools...all by picking teams from the AP Top 25. All the acceptance letters would come in, and of course I would be excited and proud...but the day that "fat" envelope came from Storrs, you couldn't pull me off the ceiling. Cuse, BC, Maryland, etc... could all take a hike.

20 years and 2 UConn degrees later, I'm your typical fan dealing with the high and lows of life and sports. Late 30's, beautiful wife, 3 kids, a job I hate but with a company I love, a great town to live in but a mortgage that's killing me, the passing of parents and the births of new children. I was talking with my wife a few months ago over a of couple bourbons and I confessed to her, that with all the "stuff" going on in our lives that cause stress or drama...the thing that worries me the most, that keeps me up a night...is if UConn will be OK when Conference Realignment shakes out. Literally pains me.

The one and only constant in our life is Uconn. God, I love this school!

oh, and my first boy was born 4 months ago, his name.... Tim Calhoun Bxxxxx
yeah, yeah, yeah...do you own a husky or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom